PDA

View Full Version : Lane Departure Warning System...

rjsx
03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Is annoying as hell, IMHO. Luckily you can set it so it is off by default when you turn on the car. Manual has instructions (turn off with the LDW switch when you turn on the car, then push the LDW switch again and hold down for 4-5 seconds until you hear the beeping and it will be disabled at start).

roland

Q2M_from_LS430
03-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Some Questions:
1) Does it give you erroneous warnings,
2) Do you prefer to be able to change lanes without using the the blinker, or
3) Do you just prefer a little more latitude on when staying in lane?

As for myself, I tend to forget to use the turn signal when changing lanes, and would like see if I can learn to stay centered in my lane. After having tried it on my test drive, I suspect the LDW system will cure me of my bad habits. Which, in my case could be a very good thing.

Pete

rjsx
03-20-2005, 11:58 PM
It seems to beep when ever it kicks in (45 MPH?). I already always use my blinker, so it seemed more of a distraction then a benefit...

roland

ptcflyer
03-21-2005, 12:01 AM
I have to agree. After 2000 miles, it is more an annoyance than safety feature. It is far too sensitive.

I would prefer if it was set up for when you actually cross the lane markers... rather than approaching the markers.

Can this be adjusted in any way? It is far to sensitive. If one strays from the center of the lane.. it seems to go off.

saabfan
03-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I'd think that it'd be most useful on long road trips, particularly at night when you might be more tired than normal. But for daily driving, I don't think I'd want it on all the time, either.

Mike_TX
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Boy, I couldn't agree more. That - and the laser cruise control - are the reasons I wouldn't want the Tech Pkg. The first thing I'd do is turn both of them off, so why pay for them?

And yes, I always signal lane changes - and I wish to God everyone else would, too. But I don't need some beeper nannying me about what part of the lane I'm in. Nor do I need some device taking over control of the car when I have the cruise on. That cruise thing is too much like the "cars of the future" I've read about ... you know, the ones where you don't even drive at all, but sit back and let your car be controlled by wires imbedded in the road. Yecch. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dseag2
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Boy, I couldn't agree more. That - and the laser cruise control - are the reasons I wouldn't want the Tech Pkg. The first thing I'd do is turn both of them off, so why pay for them?

And yes, I always signal lane changes - and I wish to God everyone else would, too. But I don't need some beeper nannying me about what part of the lane I'm in. Nor do I need some device taking over control of the car when I have the cruise on. That cruise thing is too much like the "cars of the future" I've read about ... you know, the ones where you don't even drive at all, but sit back and let your car be controlled by wires imbedded in the road. Yecch. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Don't you have to buy the tech package to get the upgraded BOSE system with 5.1 DVD-A capability? If so, that would be my only reason for purchasing it.

jrock65
03-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Isn't it mainly an anti-sleep measure? Dozing at the wheel causes a lot of accidents I hear.

Mike_TX
03-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Don't you have to buy the tech package to get the upgraded BOSE system with 5.1 DVD-A capability? If so, that would be my only reason for purchasing it.

Yes. But I'm not an audiophile, so the OEM system is more than adequate for me. I know I'm virtually alone in this, but I can't figure out why ppl are so anxious to pay big bucks for audio systems that allow you to hear a mosquito fart when road noise will drown out those delicate highs and muddy those great bass licks anyway.

I mean, $2,700 for a system for your den or media room is one thing, but in your car? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif And to be honest, I concentrate so much on other things (including driving) that I phase out before a song is over anyway. Big-dollar car sound systems are totally lost on me, so the Tech Pkg. never had a chance.