PDA

View Full Version : M45 MES vs SONY PSP...

David00214
03-23-2005, 07:17 AM
I don't have kids yet, but probably will during my ownership of this vehicle. I'm wondering if I should get the MES for the M45 or if I should just buy the munchkins a couple of SONY Playstation Portables. These new PSPs can play games and DVDs, plus they wouldn't be able to hijack my sound system with the remote. I also wouldn't have a drop down screen obstructing my rear-view mirror. Can anyone out there with experience in this department help me out? Thx! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TheDon
03-23-2005, 07:54 AM
I probably would not get it, if you don't have kids yet. Of course, the first year of the life the kids must face towards the rear of the vehicle, so they can't see it, besides the fact they are too young to know what is really going on with the screen.

Othwerwise, get it just for the "cool" factor.

My45
03-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Your kids will be able to watch the drop down screen long before they can hold and operate a PSP. My son is 2 1/2 and loves watching DVDs (and has so since about 2), but there is no way I would put a PSP in his hands for at least another couple of years. Mainly because he'll stick things in the UMD slot or throw the device in frustration at not being able to operate it. Chances are there will be a lot more age appropriate movies on DVD than UMD. He wouldn't be able to play any of the current crop of games either. They are too complicated.

Also - the MES comes with its own wireless headphones which can play independently from what you are listening to in the front of the car, so no hijacking, other than the fact that you can't play a DVD-Audio disk at the same time the kids are watching a movie because they use the same player. You can listen to XM or CDs though.

Lastly - there is an aux input for MES, so you could buy a console system for the car so they could also play games on it.

I ordered the MES for mine. The only, but rather major, downside of MES is the obstructed view. The rearview mirror becomes largely useless when the screen is down. I decided it was worth the tradeoff.

David00214
03-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Gotcha, thx for the info!

xmlguy
03-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Whats not been said is, of course, that the main reason to have kids is that you get to play with their toys, right? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You should see some of my Lego creations!!