PDA

View Full Version : "M45 ROCKS...GAME OVER" Car and Driver

dfw_danny
03-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Read the entire article (http://secure.grubbs.com/cardriver.pdf) Requires Adobe Acrobat

Here is a preview of the upcoming 8 car comparison in the May issue of Car and Driver. The M45 Sport (a pre-production unit) was up against the Acura RL, Audi A6 4.2, BMW 530i, Cadillac STS V8, Jaguar S-type 4.2, Lexus GS430 and the Mercedes E350 in its first major buff book comparison test. The vehicles placed as follows (with a possible 250 point maximum score) with the M45 Sport coming out on top:

1. M45 (219 points with 24 of 25 points in the “fun to drive” category, along with 3 other “bests”)
2. RL (215 points)
3. GS430 (208 points)
4. E350 (202 points)
5. A6 (199 points)
6. 530i (198 points
7. STS (191 points)
8. S-type (181 points)

David00214
03-23-2005, 11:46 AM
WOOHOO!

I'm guessing sales are about to go through the roof http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But wait I want a discount http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hmmmm am I happy or not? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

David00214
03-23-2005, 11:48 AM
The Verdict: Puts the
sports back into sports
sedan—with a sledgehammer.

Pedro45
03-23-2005, 12:10 PM
This does not surprise me a bit. Danny, please get an M45 Sport ready for Philly delivery in the fall!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif Can't wait to see how the boys at Club Lexus spin this one....their beloved GS didn't even come in 2nd.

Milesblue42
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I know the BMW people are going to be upset at the fact that 545 wasnt used even if the test was based on price http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GuyLegend
03-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Funny, I was predicting this exact finish, with possible exception of the Audi and BMW. But they were only seperated by one point.

I'm glad to see the overpriced, unreliable German machines get trounced by the new Japanese luxury cars.

The M, RL, and GS each deserved their respective finishes. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dfw_danny
03-23-2005, 12:54 PM
I know the BMW people are going to be upset at the fact that 545 wasnt used even if the test was based on price http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

We had the autoshow in Ft Worth at the end of last month and we were able to show 2 production M's. Since we are the only Infiniti dealer in Ft Worth we were able to set up the show the way we wanted. We powered up both vehicles and had the music playing (DVD-A of course) and people were just knocked out with the car.

The local BMW dealer, whom I know very well, came by and sat in the car for about 10 minutes. When he got out I asked him what he thought. His reply was priceless..."We're screwed....again!"

fifty_rocks
03-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Acura must be pleased as punch that the RL did so well against the M45, as pricewise, it's closer to the M35.

I still can't decide between M45 and M45 Sport - and no one has any M45 non-sports that I can drive.

Infiniti6MT
03-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Acura must be pleased as punch that the RL did so well against the M45, as pricewise, it's closer to the M35.

I still can't decide between M45 and M45 Sport - and no one has any M45 non-sports that I can drive.

I was able to test drive only the M45 non-sport so far http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif

340HP
03-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Read the entire article (http://secure.grubbs.com/cardriver.pdf) Requires Adobe Acrobat

Here is a preview of the upcoming 8 car comparison in the May issue of Car and Driver. The M45 Sport (a pre-production unit) was up against the Acura RL, Audi A6 4.2, BMW 530i, Cadillac STS V8, Jaguar S-type 4.2, Lexus GS430 and the Mercedes E350 in its first major buff book comparison test. The vehicles placed as follows (with a possible 250 point maximum score) with the M45 Sport coming out on top:

1. M45 (219 points with 24 of 25 points in the “fun to drive” category, along with 3 other “bests”)
2. RL (215 points)
3. GS430 (208 points)
4. E350 (202 points)
5. A6 (199 points)
6. 530i (198 points
7. STS (191 points)
8. S-type (181 points)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW W!!

FOR THE TIME BEING, I FELT THIS ARTICLE SHOULD BE STICKY. IN A FEW MONTHS WE'LL LET IT GO, BUT PLEASE LEAVE IT AT THE TOP FOR NOW. - Grazi, your local forum admin.

Now the pain, of waiting for mine to be delivered to my door. My heart is crying..

340HP
03-23-2005, 01:11 PM

Come to NJ, I'll let you drive mine (when it gets here). http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fifty_rocks
03-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Come to NJ, I'll let you drive mine (when it gets here). http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You ordered a non-sport? May I inquire as to why? (I had you pegged as a "sport" guy")

340HP
03-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Nah, mine is sport. Read my sig. But you said you haven't driven sport, so I'm inviting you..

Reading your note again, you were looking for a non-sport. Sometimes the brain is faster than the eyes.

Q2M_from_LS430
03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
The local BMW dealer, whom I know very well, came by and sat in the car for about 10 minutes. When he got out I asked him what he thought. His reply was priceless..."We're screwed....again!"

I love it. And they certainly are.

Now who was it who said BMW isn't worried?

Pete

fifty_rocks
03-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I love it. And they certainly are.

Now who was it who said BMW isn't worried?

Pete

BMW should be worried... I've owned, let's see... 5 BMWs and I currently don't see another one in my future unless they make some radical changes. Having said that, I do have to say that my M5 is an unbelievable car http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dseag2
03-23-2005, 04:33 PM
It was great to read this article. I've known I was going to trade my RL for something with a V-8, but I was really torn between the M and the GS. Although I never rely on the auto mags since I'm the one who will be driving the car this has certainly helped the decision.

CODYTM45
03-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Well I owned number 2 on the list for 4 months. Great car, definitely warrants number 2 on the list though. I now own number 1 on the list (picked it up last night traded in number 2) and I agree whole heartedly on the selection. However, if it was a true sports sedan comparison, I wouldn't have scored the RL so close to the M45. The SH-AWD is awesome and that car started to pick up some HP as it broke in (I had 10k on mine before trade) so it went pretty well and the interior amenities are very nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to the M45 Sport and mine isn't even broken in yet. I can't wait to get some dry roads and about a weeks worth of driving this thing so I can build some confidence to see what it really can do.

It's an AWESOME Sports Sedan.

psteng19
03-23-2005, 08:48 PM
I would've placed them like this.
1. M45
2. GS430
3. E350
4. 530
5. RL
6. A6
7. STS
8. Jag

David00214
03-23-2005, 09:03 PM
There's already a 4 page thread on this comparo over at ClubLexus. Most of the guys are being very gracious in there comments, but a few are in deep, deep, DEEP denial http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ogie_s
03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Interesting that the M45, RL and GS finished in direct opposition to how they did in Edmunds.com's recent comparo where they panned the M for being too tautly strung, in other words, too SPORTY. They're supposed to be SPORT sedans for crying out loud! Anyway, here with C/D they emphasized driving enjoyment over luxury and of course the M won.

Guess this shows just how much the people at Edmunds actually enjoy driving.

222Max
03-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Interesting that the M45, RL and GS finished in direct opposition to how they did in Edmunds.com's recent comparo where they panned the M for being too tautly strung, in other words, too SPORTY. They're supposed to be SPORT sedans for crying out loud! Anyway, here with C/D they emphasized driving enjoyment over luxury and of course the M won.

Guess this shows just how much the people at Edmunds actually enjoy driving.

I'm not at all surprised at how the cars finished at C&D. It is, after all, Car and Driver, not Car and Rider.

Edmonds just forgot that they were testing sport sedans.

340HP
03-23-2005, 10:36 PM
One thing that struck me in the article, they were crying that the M came with a knob and no NAVI (test vehicle, around $51,000). Ahem, they could have added the AWESOME navi for 2000 bux and STILL fit in the $55,000 category.

Geekers.

ZandSkyLineRox
03-24-2005, 01:29 AM
The Verdict: Puts the
sports back into sports
sedan—with a sledgehammer.

<font color="red[/img] FAN......FREAKING......TASTIC !!! </font>

Looks like ANOTHER HOME RUN by Infiniti!

David00214
03-24-2005, 05:56 AM
The post below is from the ClubLexus forum. The flaming is fierce!

Ah, the usual suspects, complaining about C&amp;D after Lexus "loses" a comparo, especially to Acura.

I know y'all won't quit bashing Acura, but will y'all quit bashing C&amp;D if and when the other autorags place the cars in this same order?

And to those talking about how decibel levels, etc. weren't taken into account, keep in mind that these magazines are not catered towards people who are interested in cars as quiet and elegant transportation. Fuel economy, etc.? Honestly, who gives a crap? Consumer Reports ranks all of that. Edmunds does the same thing. However, these latter organizations, unlike C&amp;D, R&amp;T, etc., care relatively little about "driving enthusiasts," which most of you purport to be. I admit that I wouldn't want a luxury "sports sedan" (a term that I use with great reluctance, considering the computerized intrusions that most of these cars have, and the dearth of true manual transmissions in this class) cabin to sound like an F-16 on takeoff while I'm running 110 on the highway, and I agree that I wouldn't want to have to stop at Exxon three times just to get home from the dealership, but these are and should be minor issues relative to driving feel and experience. In fact, ranking factors in importance from 0-100, 100 being the most important, my personal opinion is that handling/road feel should be 60, power/acceleration 30, and "luxury" accoutrements 10. I suspect many of the "enthusiast" mags feel similarly, if not to the same proportions.

Anyway, whatever. "Acura sucks, Lexus REWLZ, C&amp;D loves Honda, everyone's out to get Lexus, Infiniti won because it was sporty, Infiniti still isn't a Lexus, everyone but Lexus has horrible resale and horrible reliability..." And life at CL continues as it always has.

rayainsw
03-24-2005, 06:03 AM
"1. M45 (219 points with 24 of 25 points in the “fun to drive” category, along with 3 other “bests”) "

Thanks for sharing that article!

As above - now I just KNOW there will not be a big discount on an M45 Sport in my future . . .
(sigh)

But I predict a wide, permanent grin!

- Ray
Oh, so close to ordering . . .

dseag2
03-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Well I owned number 2 on the list for 4 months. Great car, definitely warrants number 2 on the list though. I now own number 1 on the list (picked it up last night traded in number 2) and I agree whole heartedly on the selection. However, if it was a true sports sedan comparison, I wouldn't have scored the RL so close to the M45. The SH-AWD is awesome and that car started to pick up some HP as it broke in (I had 10k on mine before trade) so it went pretty well and the interior amenities are very nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to the M45 Sport and mine isn't even broken in yet. I can't wait to get some dry roads and about a weeks worth of driving this thing so I can build some confidence to see what it really can do.

It's an AWESOME Sports Sedan.

I agree with the comparison as well. I've owned my RL for 4 months now and I've test driven both the M45 Sport and GS430. The M45 is by far the most fun to drive, and the fastest. The GS430 is fast and handles competently, but it feels so "refined" that it made me feel totally detached from the driving experience. It is undisputably quiet, but that doesn't really lend anything to the driving experience either. I also found a significant lag when stepping on the gas off the line. When I got back in my RL after the test drive it actually felt more lively, even though the V-6 doesn't have the torque down low like a V-8.

The RL doesn't provide as much of a thrill as the M, but it is certainly more satisfying than the GS from a driving perspective, and since C&amp;D places a lot of importance on that aspect the rankings of the M, RL and GS are spot on.

miata007
03-24-2005, 12:09 PM
In this comparison, I am disappointed why C&amp;D didn't use the V8s of the competition. As we all knew, M45 was made to compete against the V8 of BMW, MB, Audi, and Jag. The test should've based on engine rather than price.

Milesblue42
03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
In this comparison, I am disappointed why C&amp;D didn't use the V8s of the competition. As we all knew, M45 was made to compete against the V8 of BMW, MB, Audi, and Jag. The test should've based on engine rather than price.

I agree with you, I am curious how the M45 stacks against the other V-8 competition.

Steve_L
03-24-2005, 12:50 PM

I'm sure we'll see another comparison based on engine rather than price, but price should still be a factor in the overall points. Reading this particular article, however, it looked like they wanted want to keep the RL in the comparo, and having just V8's would have left it out.

dseag2
03-24-2005, 01:02 PM

I would guess that the test was done based on price because there is an audience (like me) that is interested in many of these cars for their next purchase. If auto mags test cars that run the gamut price-wise it becomes simply an "interesting read" instead of something someone can actually use to help make a purchase decision.

As for the German V-8's, although it would have been very interesting to see what a 545i or E500 would do against the Japanese V-8's, I wouldn't personally be willing to spend the extra $$$ for them even if they were faster than the M (theory of Diminishing Returns). I did have an A6 4.2 several years ago and, believe me, it wouldn't stand up to the M45.

Infiniti6MT
03-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I would love to see an all V8 comparo for these mid size lux sedan too, if I'm already spending $55K for a car, the extra $5K or so more for a 545 or E500 certainly won't dissuade me from choosing them over their Japanese competition if I'm convinced that they're better. If one leases, it's possible the MSRP differences between them doesn't even matter.

miata007
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Yes! But it is still nice to know how the best of Japanese will go against their Euro targets. I am not interested in a G35 vs BMW 325 or a Audi 1.8. Would you?

RandyWatson
03-25-2005, 04:31 PM
The post below is from the ClubLexus forum. The flaming is fierce!

Ah, the usual suspects, complaining about C&amp;D after Lexus "loses" a comparo, especially to Acura.

I know y'all won't quit bashing Acura, but will y'all quit bashing C&amp;D if and when the other autorags place the cars in this same order?

And to those talking about how decibel levels, etc. weren't taken into account, keep in mind that these magazines are not catered towards people who are interested in cars as quiet and elegant transportation. Fuel economy, etc.? Honestly, who gives a crap? Consumer Reports ranks all of that. Edmunds does the same thing. However, these latter organizations, unlike C&amp;D, R&amp;T, etc., care relatively little about "driving enthusiasts," which most of you purport to be. I admit that I wouldn't want a luxury "sports sedan" (a term that I use with great reluctance, considering the computerized intrusions that most of these cars have, and the dearth of true manual transmissions in this class) cabin to sound like an F-16 on takeoff while I'm running 110 on the highway, and I agree that I wouldn't want to have to stop at Exxon three times just to get home from the dealership, but these are and should be minor issues relative to driving feel and experience. In fact, ranking factors in importance from 0-100, 100 being the most important, my personal opinion is that handling/road feel should be 60, power/acceleration 30, and "luxury" accoutrements 10. I suspect many of the "enthusiast" mags feel similarly, if not to the same proportions.

Anyway, whatever. "Acura sucks, Lexus REWLZ, C&amp;D loves Honda, everyone's out to get Lexus, Infiniti won because it was sporty, Infiniti still isn't a Lexus, everyone but Lexus has horrible resale and horrible reliability..." And life at CL continues as it always has.

What about this clueless guy?
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=M35M45&amp;Number=67943861&amp;pag e=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1
Or this cluless fella
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=M35M45&amp;Number=67942897&amp;pag e=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1#Post67942929

For all the winning, I see maybe 4 owners here? Maybe?

222Max
03-25-2005, 05:15 PM

Well, there are threads by at least 6 or 7 owners on the first page of threads alone. But maybe you missed this little bit of info from Danny.

"Allow me to give you a little insight into the cars that are currently in dealer's inventories.

The first round of production was ordered by Infiniti corporate staff, not the dealers! Unfortunately they do not know how to equip and color vehicles.

The cars that are arriving and equipped properly (Joruney/Tech) are flying out of the showrooms while the ones that are not properly equipped are sitting.

These are the cars you will probably be able to get a dealer to "cut you a deal." So if you want a new M and you are flexible on equipment and color you can probably save yourself some money. If you want the popular colors with the popular packages don't look for any deals anytime in the near future. As I said they are buying them as fast as they arrive.

By the way, most all of the cars that are arriving now have been ordered by the dealers."

340HP
03-26-2005, 12:44 AM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=M35M45&amp;Number=67943861&amp;pag e=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1
Or this cluless fella
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=M35M45&amp;Number=67942897&amp;pag e=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1#Post67942929

You know, you're like a bad odor coming from some idustrial plant while driving through Jersey. You come, stink up the place, and go.

FELLA.

Get a grip. Why are you so anti-Infiniti? Anti-M? Do I detect "Lexus" at the bottom of your pay checks?

Open your mind to the fact that Lexus is not the only car manufacturer in the world. And, was never the top seller world-wide. Still isn't. Now, that it's getting beat by not only the M but also the RL you need to re-surface and stink up the place?

Shoo. Where's my Lysol disinfectant. &lt;PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS&gt;

Burginiti
03-26-2005, 11:16 AM
I would love to see an all V8 comparo for these mid size lux sedan too, if I'm already spending $55K for a car, the extra $5K or so more for a 545 or E500 certainly won't dissuade me from choosing them over their Japanese competition if I'm convinced that they're better. If one leases, it's possible the MSRP differences between them doesn't even matter.

Good point but I think the M45 would've still won based on similar performance for a lesser price. But then, that's only my guess...

Machination
03-26-2005, 01:01 PM

I just bet he did http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, BMW was so "screwed" by the G35 that even the weak 325i by itself has outsold it every year except 2004.
And so "screwed" by the FX that the X5 AND X3 are outselling both.

If he REALLY said that, I'm sure he's speaking for himself, and if it's that sorry @ss dealer over in FTW, I can see why. But I stand behind my prediction that the 5 series, and the E class for that matter, has nothing to worry about from the M.

Q2M_from_LS430
03-26-2005, 01:01 PM

Good point but I think the M45 would've still won based on similar performance for a lesser price. But then, that's only my guess...

What do you guess at the probability that C&amp;D will, at some point in the next year or so, do a follow up comparo such as best v8 sort sedan under $100K (or at any price.)?

Pete

Burginiti
03-26-2005, 01:38 PM

What do you guess at the probability that C&amp;D will, at some point in the next year or so, do a follow up comparo such as best v8 sort sedan under $100K (or at any price.)?

Pete

Those mags do seem to try to cover different price points and a comparo like you suggested seems likely. Bottomline, that M45's a VERY nice car and the price is certainly attractive for this type of car.

Price is certainly a factor which would explain why I see more Chrysler 300C's on the road than any of those cars. When they start selling the SRT-8 version, look out!

dseag2
03-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Or this cluless fella

You know, you're like a bad odor coming from some idustrial plant while driving through Jersey. You come, stink up the place, and go.

FELLA.

Get a grip. Why are you so anti-Infiniti? Anti-M? Do I detect "Lexus" at the bottom of your pay checks?

Open your mind to the fact that Lexus is not the only car manufacturer in the world. And, was never the top seller world-wide. Still isn't. Now, that it's getting beat by not only the M but also the RL you need to re-surface and stink up the place?

Shoo. Where's my Lysol disinfectant. &lt;PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS&gt;

He doesn't have "Lexus" at the bottom of his paycheck, but he's a mod on ClubLexus. See my post. It will explain a lot...

CODYTM45
03-26-2005, 09:38 PM
He's just dropping in to ruffle the feathers of M owners who have so much to talk about with their new rides. I guess all those folks over in the Club Lexus Forum are boored of having nothing to talk about with their new GS'es, except whining about how the RL and M beat it in the latest comparo and how unfair that comparison was...

Mike_TX
03-26-2005, 09:57 PM
If he REALLY said that, I'm sure he's speaking for himself, and if it's that sorry @ss dealer over in FTW, I can see why.

Ooooooo ... now he's not only beating up on Infiniti and the M, but also on our Danny at Grubbs.

Scat, get outta here. Go on. Someone get me the water hose!

340HP
03-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I hear that Randy is 1sicklex from the Lexus forum.

That explains a lot.

He might not have "Lexus" signing his paychecks, but having some odd 15,000+ messages on one forum is an achievement in itself. Geekdom? Lack of things to do? Activities? Women? Family? Too much money and not enough time to do something with it? Oh well.

Maybe he is a lost soul. It's Easter. Let's pray for him.

M_TYPE_X
04-02-2005, 05:40 PM
He might not have "Lexus" signing his paychecks, but having some odd 15,000+ messages on one forum is an achievement in itself. Geekdom? Lack of things to do? Activities? Women? Family? Too much money and not enough time to do something with it? Oh well.

I'll have no Catholics praying for me!!!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Oh, you were talking about sicklex. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yeah, what a loser. He's better as Randy Watson though... a little more ... couth maybe? Naaaaaah... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm surprised you guys are so uptight about ClubLexus.
Everyone knows they will always be full of themselves.
Have some jokes at their expense. Save the haterade for AudiWorld.

jrock65
04-04-2005, 09:24 AM

I'll have no Catholics praying for me!!!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Oh, you were talking about sicklex. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yeah, what a loser. He's better as Randy Watson though... a little more ... couth maybe? Naaaaaah... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm surprised you guys are so uptight about ClubLexus.
Everyone knows they will always be full of themselves.
Have some jokes at their expense. Save the haterade for AudiWorld.

I thought 1SickLex and RandyWatson are the same person.

jro4566
04-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Boy am I glad the M beat the competition! Over at GMInsidenews, users are having a fit over how "biased" C&amp;D is.

I went to DFW's Infiniti M Preview Night at Crest Infiniti last month and I was simply astonished by how beautiful the interior was. You won't find top-notch materials like that in an STS!

Jason B
06-29-2005, 12:29 PM
See this post for all complete reviews from many different sources.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=M35M45&amp;Number=67935703&amp;pag e=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1