PDA

View Full Version : OK tech heads I have two questions

ChimChim1
03-24-2005, 02:16 AM
(1) Is there a way to by pass the system so that I can get
the front DVD to play while the car is in motion?

(2) When using my BlackBerry unit via Bluetooth I get
feedback and it sound like I am in a tunnel. Is there
any thing I can do to prevent that?

Thanks for any help.

dfw_danny
03-24-2005, 08:04 AM

Thanks for any help.

#1 YES and very easily
#2 Try putting the Blackberry in the console and closing it so that the mic cannot pickup the ambient noise.

ChimChim1
03-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have just sent you a email to hopefully get details

My45
03-24-2005, 09:58 AM
#1 YES and very easily

What a tease!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you can't straight out tell us how (being a dealer and all), can you at least give us some hints as to how to go about it? Is it a software hack like a hidden settings page, or do we need to do some physical things like disconnecting a couple of wires?

Please oh please we need this. It would also be cool to have a rear monitor hack as well, so you could see what the rear camera is seeing while driving. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TheDon
03-24-2005, 10:39 AM
I have seen it done on other vehicles two different ways:
One is with an in-line toggle/bypass switch, and one is with shall we say "reverse wiring".

My previous SUV had in-dash video, and I wired the brake-lockout in reverse. Essentially, the screen would work with the brake pedal released, but anytime I touched the brakes the screen would lock out.

I can tell you this based on my experience, it is highly distracting, and very, very dangerous. The few seconds you look away from the road at onto the screen can cost you a lot, not mention your life, as well as the lives of other folks. Not to mention illegal in every state I do believe.

fifty_rocks
03-24-2005, 10:58 AM
#1 YES and very easily

What a tease!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you can't straight out tell us how (being a dealer and all), can you at least give us some hints as to how to go about it?

Well, he did post his email address http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My45
03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
For me, video on screen is no more distracting than the nav system running. After driving several cars with nav systems, I tend to only look at the screen when I'm either stopped or on the highway with no cars around, and only briefly like any other guage.

I really want this for my front side passenger, not myself, for long trips. In my opinion, drivers can find any number of ways to not pay attention while driving with a phone, daydreaming, or talking to a passenger. I'm an attentive driver who wouldn't be distracted by front screen video.

ChimChim1
03-24-2005, 11:21 AM
My45 is right on mark. I don't want the feature for myself but for the front and rear passenger. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

340HP
03-24-2005, 11:49 AM

Thanks for any help.

#1 YES and very easily
#2 Try putting the Blackberry in the console and closing it so that the mic cannot pickup the ambient noise.

Danny, can you post the hack?

CODYTM45
03-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Damn I figured since the M45/35s lock out is tied into two systems (Emergency Brake AND the speedo) that this would be difficult to do. I verified that even if you do the brake lock out or reverse, the screen will still go off when it senses the car in motion. I checked this out by placing my e-brake on lightly enough to allow register and allow the screen to come back on, then I rolled forward in my driveway and as soon as the car started forward the front screen went with a message you can't use this feature while the car is in motion.

If Danny has a work around, I'm all for listening. I two want this for my passenger on long trips, not necessarily myself.

340HP
03-24-2005, 03:19 PM
I was able to attain the hack in question. Twisted a couple of arms in the process (not mine).

Once my M45 arrives (left Grubbs today) - I will hax0r it, post pictures, and explain the procedure. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My45
03-24-2005, 04:17 PM
I think the rear backup camera hack is going to be easy too. I bet it is modifying the same connector harness for the DVD hack you just obtained, just a different wire that needs to be grounded. It should not be too difficult using a multimeter to figure out which wire on this harness switches to ground when the transmission is put into reverse. If nobody else has come up with the reverse hack by the time I get my M45 (3 weeks), I'll experiment and post my findings.

340HP
03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Sweet deal. We'll have this thing playing a DVD and showing the rear of the car at the same time while driving forward.

Split-screen maybe?

Another feature I want to hack is the ability to manually adjust the NAVI system while in motion.. I know you can talk to it, but sometimes a passenger (wife) can do the finger tapping, and being locked out, irks me.

My TSX allows full control of all NAVI and center console functions while in motion. I love that.

CODYTM45
03-25-2005, 04:28 AM
It would be great if the hack to fix the control on viewing the front DVD while the car is in motion is the same control that is applied to the Navi management while the car is moving. Defeating 2 controls with one hack would be pretty cool.

My45
03-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I think the NAV lockout is different, because I think the NAV lockout only happens when the car is in motion. You are not required to put it in park or put the brake on to reactivate the locked out features like you are with the DVD player. Hopefully the NAV lockout is not activated in software by GPS movement. If that is the case it would take some software hacking, which is going to be really difficult (unless there is a hidden menu already built in that can do this). If it is just another wire to ground from the same harness, that would be great, but I'm not too hopeful. I agree that the NAV shouldn't be locked out because in a lot of cases the passenger is the navigator and should be allowed full control while moving.