PDA

View Full Version : lighting on M35x

oldcarnut
03-25-2005, 09:58 AM
I have just purchased a m35x and parted company with my 2003 FX45. I fell in love with the technology of the the new M series. BUT, I have noticed that the HID lights only go out about 50-70 feet in my M35! Anyone else noted such a problem? I have also for speed a M3 and the HID lights have like the M self leveling but go out the appropriate distance. I will be taking the car in next week and will let you know if I am just going blind [friend remarked that the lights seemed awful short on distance also] or if there is a fix. The intensity of the lows is fine and the turning of the lights is great. I agree with others that the highs do not overwhelm us in context with the FX highs.
Oh yeah on mileage; with only 300 miles on the clock, freeway driving commuting [speed 45-75 in Chicago] get 17-21mpg. Strictly in town, more 15-17 mpg. I guess it will get better with time and I am sticking to less than 4000 rpm so driving less vigorously than I will once broken it.

CODYTM45
03-26-2005, 09:27 PM
My lights go out just as far as the ones on my 2005 RL did. Any further and I think you would be blinding oncoming drivers. I didn't measure the light, but it sure looks like more than 70 ft.

oldcarnut
04-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I got the car back from the dealer. It turns out that the dealer can adjust the lights although, they are 'self leveling'. Mine were within the specs, but were adjusted to the higher setting. This means to me that we need some of our viewers who are mechanics, or inclined to find out how to adjust them higher as was done on the FX's when the lights seemed to be somewhat low to some of us.

CODYTM45
04-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Cool. I know these HID lights are a little nerve wracking when you are going down a hill. since you can't see up teh other side of the hill! That is one thing that drives me nuts with them. I'm often turning on my hi beams so I can see up the other side of a hill.

DSSDMD
08-16-2005, 07:27 PM
The factory specs for the M35x are low, and get lower with a near empty gas tank, in spite of self leveling. It was noted by consumer reports as well. I had the dealer raise them 1" higher than the specs,at the point they measure, and it is better. I intend to avoid a low gas tank as well. I have not had on-coming drivers flash their lights at me yet.

Bocatrip
08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
This is what was written in the Sept 2005 Consumer Reports for the M35X...... Highs/Accerleration,handling,braking,powertrain,interior room,access,optional backup camera,fit and finish.
Lows/LOW-BEAM HEADLIGHTS.

FRITZ45
08-17-2005, 05:35 AM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Check out previous posts on this subject - lots of info.

This can be found in "Search" by looking for "Question about headlights and adjustment".

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I went through this with our new M35X and IMO will say that the headlights were adjusted so low as to be unsafe. I didn't even want to drive it at night!

Thanks to this forum and many replies, I was able to adjust the headlights up and lighting is now almost satisfactory. Even then, on hilly back roads, visibility is not what it is with older style headlights, such as my 2003 PT Cruiser.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/mad.gif Personally I do not like the "curtain of darkness" that is observed on both our M35X and FX45. Once lights are adjusted higher, you will find a great improvement, but the "curtain of darkness" still exists. Some say that the dark area just seems darker, due to the intensity of the lights, but I have looked very closely at this darkness and it is almost "pitch black".

I wrote a very-detailed complaint letter to my dealer, who responded (asking me to bring in the car for headlight adjustment). Not wanting to drive 300 miles round trip, adjusted them myself in about 15 minutes.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif The good thing about doing this yourself is that you can "fine-tune" the adjustment little by little. Dealer will probably adjust them to specs, which likely will be too low on the M. At least the FX has a manual adjustment on the dashboard, which helps. In addition, the FX headlights can be adjusted with an allen wrench, which is very easy to accomplish. The M headlights require a lot more effort to adjust and the procedure is not as easy as the FX.

So we have great looking headlights...too bad they don't provide safe lighting. The lighting in the M is certainly not an improvement and this problem needs to be addressed. Also, due to the confirmed poor visibility, feel that Infiniti should at least issue a TSB on this subject. (What about other owners who do not participate in this forum?). Poor lighting is a very serious issue and is a safety hazard. Consumer Reports even picked up on this, as did many forum members. Come on Infiniti - let's get this taken care of.

Does Infiniti monitor this forum to pick up on things such as this? If not, they should do so.

Fritz45

Bocatrip
08-17-2005, 07:16 AM
I have the exact same problem on my G35 Coupe and there has been numerous posts in the past on how bad these Xenons are. Maybe that is why for 2006, Infiniti has announced a New Xenon headlight for the Coupe!