PDA

View Full Version : Barely got home with my POS Spec II clutch, GRRR!

1fly
04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
So today I thought I felt my clutch slipping a bit. But I figured no way. I've only run 3 tanks of gas since my swap with the new clutch. I even tried to do the correct "break-in" as suggested by Spec.

Anyway, after around 100 miles I could feel more & more slip, but I kept telling myself, NO WAY! After sitting in some stop & go traffic, I hit the exit ramp & get on it... Next thing I know I'm BOUNCING off the limiter & yes my tires weren't spinnning only the clutch. Limp it home, check out everything I can think of & now what? Try to swap clutches without pulling the motor... sounds like fun http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif I know we can do it, it's just the fact that I have to. How can they sell a product thats such crap. My setup can't be more than 300 HP...

Sorry for the rant I just had to *****. Anybody have an "affordable" new clutch suggestion? ACT, Exedy ? Any input (warranty?) http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks!

DeatschWerks_Dave
04-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Before you go tearing into a new clutch re-install...

have you played with the engagement point? My specII slipped badly at ~240whp. I adjusted the engagement point closer towards the floor and now it is fine even at ~300whp.

1fly
04-14-2005, 08:29 PM
where is that adjusment?

BlackBomber
04-14-2005, 08:33 PM
where is that adjusment?

in the pedal itself. you need to undo the locknut and twist the rod to the master cylinder. do very small adjustments.

there is an article on how to do it on www.twinturbo.net (http://www.twinturbo.net)

cwdmark
04-14-2005, 08:33 PM
i would also like to know where adjustment for clutch engagement is? mine is too far up high as well.

edit: beat me to it. you know where the specific article link is?

trsilvias13
04-14-2005, 10:59 PM
was it installed wrong. i know someone who touch my friend clutch disk with his greasy fingers while eating fries and then did an install, cuz it to glazed and slip after 1000miles or so

kovert
04-14-2005, 11:14 PM
ACT street disk and HD pressure plate has stood up to ALOT of abuse on my car. although i had it rebuilt with ceramic disks, it kicks ass.

BlackBomber
04-15-2005, 05:38 AM
i would also like to know where adjustment for clutch engagement is? mine is too far up high as well.

edit: beat me to it. you know where the specific article link is?

i can't find it now. looks like they moved it or took it down.

shoes59
04-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Before you go tearing into a new clutch re-install...

have you played with the engagement point? My specII slipped badly at ~240whp.

I had the same issue with my clutch when I first installed it. Turns out it was partially engaged. Adjusted the clutch free play and all is well now.

1fly
04-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Install was done by Knightspeed Racing (best in the biz) so I know that the install was correct. The more I think about it & how it got progressively worse throughout the day I'm betting on the adjustment being off. At least I really hope so http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks for the tips, now I'll see if I can find the adjustment after work...

BlackBomber
04-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Install was done by Knightspeed Racing (best in the biz) so I know that the install was correct. The more I think about it & how it got progressively worse throughout the day I'm betting on the adjustment being off. At least I really hope so http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thanks for the tips, now I'll see if I can find the adjustment after work...

i doubt a brand new clutched is fvcked already. i'm sure it is the free play adjustment.

rednerd
04-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Nissan hydrolic clutches seem to be finicky (sic?). You can adjust the free play and it will feel awesome, drive it around, get it hot and you have to pull have a turn out of it because the clutch is too high. I'm not quite sure what causes that, crappy rubber hoses, or the clutch damper maybe?

BlackBomber
04-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Nissan hydrolic clutches seem to be finicky (sic?). You can adjust the free play and it will feel awesome, drive it around, get it hot and you have to pull have a turn out of it because the clutch is too high. I'm not quite sure what causes that, crappy rubber hoses, or the clutch damper maybe?

standard operating procedure is to remove the clutch damper. i have on both my cars and my adjustment is fine.

KSU_S13Less
04-15-2005, 09:16 AM
i can't find it now. looks like they moved it or took it down.

It's also in the S14SR FSM posted over on Zilvia. Ch-Ch-Ch-Check it out! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fsae_alum
04-15-2005, 09:54 AM

i doubt a brand new clutched is fvcked already. i'm sure it is the free play adjustment.

^^^^^^^^ Agreed 100%. I always had to momentarily adjust my free play with the SPEC clutch....especially a couple of weeks after putting it in!

shoes59
04-15-2005, 10:57 AM
^^^^^^^^ Agreed 100%. I always had to momentarily adjust my free play with the SPEC clutch....especially a couple of weeks after putting it in!

Yep. Same here.

shane_B
04-15-2005, 07:28 PM
I love how poeple start a thread to simply bash something. Not once did you adress the possibility that it could be install error or the fact you might have a poorly adjusted clutch. Figure it out first and be sure you didnt mess it up yourself before spitting out half truths and misinformation. Im getting so tired of Nissan owners *****ing about how something broke on their car when more than likely 50% of the time it was operator error.

Vr6wantSr20det
04-16-2005, 05:42 AM
not tryin to jack the thread, but when people drive my car, while it is in gear and they rest their foot on the clutch pedal it goes to the floor and doesnt come up. When im driving i dont do this so it never happens engages fine, its just when ur in gear and the car is driving and u push the clutch half-way and not all the way does it not come back up. Could this be the adjustment or a bad master cylander/slave???

chriskelchner
04-17-2005, 09:02 AM
ACT street disk and HD pressure plate has stood up to ALOT of abuse on my car. although i had it rebuilt with ceramic disks, it kicks ass.

<--2nd's ACT kicks ass.

bigburt187
04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
I agree with the adjustment thing, but you can also have a seal leaking, allowing oil to reach the clutch.
ADJUSTING METHOD****** Its located on the arm of the pedal, its a rod that pushes all the way through the firewall into the M.cylinder (you must unbolt the master from the firewall for the rod goes into it). There is a pin that goes through a U-shaped bracket with a clip and a nut on the other side on the rod. The rod is what pushes the piston inside the master back forcing fluid pressure on the slave. (A tiny bit will do a lot more than you expect it so start small like 1/2 or 1 turn) However if the piston in the master is unable to return all the way to its "home" the clutch will not fully engauge cause there will still be a little pressure on the slave.(If the U-shaped bracket is out too far)

As for the clutch pedal not coming back up it can really only be two things.
1.air trapped in the clutch system (try bleeding it)
2.Master cylinder is shot

When I first got my SR in the car we bled the clutch for like one hour to get all aireated (spell check) fluid out. Then the pedal still wasnt feeling right wouldnt come off the floor 1/2 the time. New master cured it.

1fly
04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
I love how poeple start a thread to simply bash something. Not once did you adress the possibility that it could be install error or the fact you might have a poorly adjusted clutch. Figure it out first and be sure you didnt mess it up yourself before spitting out half truths and misinformation. Im getting so tired of Nissan owners *****ing about how something broke on their car when more than likely 50% of the time it was operator error.

Well I don't think it was operator error, when a part fails http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif

However, it was the adjustment after all, thank god. It slowly loosened itself over the day. After some adjustment on Saturday we're back in action.

As for me blaming Spec at first I think I'm just waiting for the thing to fail after reading so many problematic cases with these clutches. But then again many have had successful cases, but I'm sure we never hear about those...

Anyway, thanks for the help!

fsae_alum
04-18-2005, 02:55 PM
As for me blaming Spec at first I think I'm just waiting for the thing to fail after reading so many problematic cases with these clutches. But then again many have had successful cases, but I'm sure we never hear about those...

Ok here goes.....I had 2 SPEC Stage III clutches. Neither one of them failed (catastrophically that is). Did they slip?...very rarely and only when I was being careless. Was I happy with them?.....not really. The pedal was too soft for my taste and the engagement was more like an on/off switch more than anthing else. They didn't fail though.

BlackBomber
04-18-2005, 06:01 PM

Ok here goes.....I had 2 SPEC Stage III clutches. Neither one of them failed (catastrophically that is). Did they slip?...very rarely and only when I was being careless. Was I happy with them?.....not really. The pedal was too soft for my taste and the engagement was more like an on/off switch more than anthing else. They didn't fail though.

SPEC 3 in the blackbomber and it is rather on/off but I don't mind it. I would say mine feels stiffer than the everyday clutch found in most vehicles. Never has slipped and has absorbed over 60 clutch dumps at high rpms. I'm pretty pleased so far.