PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y. Valve train shimming

slow_s13
04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
i am finnishing up my red top s13 build. i had new seats and
guides installed in the cylinder head. so my original valvetrain geometry has been altered (also ported and did
3-angle valve job, but anyway...) so to shim the rockers me
and a friend used a staright edge on the top of the cam cap surface and used a depth micrometer to measure within .001
is this an acceptable method or should i pay someone, or try to find the correct tool. i searched but no one really
discussed alternative methods to the one illustrated in the f.s.m.-maybe because there arent any? any help would be
appreciated thanx in advance.

robbbby
04-26-2005, 08:13 PM
I did just that. Machine shop made sure the top of the head was perfectly flat, than I took a couple parallel's and used a depth micrometer. I moved the parallels different which ways just to be sure not to get bad readings and measured each pair of valves probably 10 times and had my friend do the same just to make absolutely sure all the results were within 0.001. The shims that were off, I had machined down to the appropriate size. It's been running for awhile and everything seems and sounds fine. Not sure if this is really the best way but it worked out well for me.

usctom
04-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I just had to do this. I rented the proper tool. If you want I can give you the kids email for it. Another way to do it but much more time consuming.
1. put shims in original place or random if u mixed them up 2. install cams, rockers and lash adjusters.
3. Use feeler gauge to make sure there is less then .002.
4. If off use micrometer to measure shim then add the gap to the size.
5. This will not measure if its too tight so you may have to do it a couple times with other shims to make sure its not to big of a shims.

noodl35
04-26-2005, 11:54 PM
How are you guys using feeler gauges, when i tried, the feeler gauge wouldn't go between the lobe and rocker arm.

a2low240
04-27-2005, 07:49 AM
We rent out the Kent More Valve shim tool if your interested.

91 240
04-27-2005, 11:01 AM
I rented a2low240's shimming tool. worked perfect after my user error was corrected http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I highly recommend him.