PDA

View Full Version : Rip Off sr20 conversion kit!

Five10PacksDE
04-26-2005, 09:50 PM
www.cm510.com (http://www.cm510.com) is a Horrible place to get a sr or ka 510 kit. It seems cheap at first if you look at the price for 525USA dollars+70 for cores. I bought his kit and this is what i got.
#1 He gives you nuts to use as "spacers" to bolt between the alluminum block and the mount. After looking at it. I don't think he even modified the crossmember other than flipping the lower control arm mount hole
#2 He claims to have rhd and LHD kits available. It took him a couple months for him to get my LHD steering bar, and he wanted me to ship him one.
#3 The driveshaft is too short!!!!!! He tried to use the excuse that he assumed my car was a 4 door. That totally doesn't make sense, because I would think a 4 dopr drivesahft would b longer if the 510 had different shaft differences. I have pictures. With the yoke fully pushed in, there is a 2 inch gap between teh driveshaft and the diff. The yoke is only 4.5" long, 2 inches of that is 50% of the whole yoke. He does not want to send me another driveshaft becasue he says he knows plenty of other people that race their cars with their driveshaft 2 inches too short.

Demon
04-27-2005, 07:41 AM
I dont think I would have ordered from him since he has no reputation and since he lives so far away in Austrailia. I would have sucked it up and went with the Datsport kit. Have any pics of the install or what he sent you?

This is why I also prefer to do everything myself.

compression
04-27-2005, 02:57 PM
The driveshafts on the 4dr and 2dr are the same length. The chassis and wheelbase are the same also...the only thing thats different is the B pillar is moved forward to make room for a rear door.
A decent driveline shop can resize it for ya, but that sucks that oyu even have to deal with it.
Datsport is a better place to deal with.

Five10PacksDE
04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
let me take some pictures and figure out how to post it on this page

Five10PacksDE
04-30-2005, 05:14 PM
A Datsport kit would be nice. How much are they with shipping? My car is not done yet, and I still need more money. I can't afford taht kit, but after buying this [censored] cm510 kit, Using the spacers between the engine block and steel mounts is a really cheap way to get your ka or sr20 in the 510 stock crossmember. I feel like a dumbass for getting that kit. Let other people know about cm510 bad kit. I am going to let the guys on 510 realm know.

Sorry about the pictures. I don't know how to post them. Computer illiterate. E mail me if you want to see the pictures. cheeseburgernyeah@yahoo.com

compression
05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
michael@spriso.com imports maddat stuff. email him. He is a great guy, and you wont get a cobbled together kit.
Nuts as spacers? Pahleese. That is bad.
I am under the impression that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Demon
05-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Here are the pics, sorry I was late posting. I've been real sick the past couple of days.

http://www.dennis-monares.com/001.gif
http://www.dennis-monares.com/002.gif
http://www.dennis-monares.com/003.gif
http://www.dennis-monares.com/004.gif

Demon
05-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Does the engine sit high in comparasson with the engine compartment? If you were to move the mounts on the cross member 3/4" closer to the block then the engine would need to dropped about 1/4" or even more. Does the oil pan have the clearance from the crossmember to be dropped at least 1/4"? I didnt think insalling the SR20 would be this easy, I'm glad if I do decide to do it then I will do it myself. I think I would just fab up some new mounts on the crossmember since they seem to be a little on the thin side and probably reinforce the crossmember and crossmember mounting point.

compression
05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
OH my! look at the absolutely terrible welds around the control arm mount on the crossmember! porosity like a sponge!
I would send it back and demand a refund.
Also, it is better to use the 240sx motor mounts, expecially if you plan to go for a hi-performance SR, the stock 510 rubber isolators were designed with a 90Hp engine in mind...

Five10PacksDE
05-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Yes, I have learned a good lesson. BTW the pick of the 2 driveshaft is a stock 510 vs the one he gave me. He claims he races with it and stuff. BS.

"OH my! look at the absolutely terrible welds around the control arm mount on the crossmember! porosity like a sponge!
I would send it back and demand a refund."

Very true, I can weld a lot better than him, and I have only 4 months experience. I am thinking I might send it back. Do you know if he will have to pay for shipping for me to send it back? Yeah, get a mount kit that uses stock 240sx mounts.

Oh, I am not at home right now, Dennis, so I will have to take a 2nd look to answer your questions. I would have to say it looks a little higher mounted than normal too.

[censored]! [censored]! I had to borrow money for this kit too, and I dunno how much I will loose on shipping.

threepointo
05-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Oh my god!!! I know of that guy...his name is Cam Mckinnon. He is a cool guy but this the first time I a have seen his stuff! If you want a datsport kit just call my buddy Kevin Mackie...get email at his website. www.kbeam.com (http://www.kbeam.com) he is now the US datsport distributor.

Demon
05-05-2005, 07:57 AM
I agree with Kevin, the Datsport kit is a good one to go with or you can save some money and go with a Dan Gallimeister (aka "TTwomp" on this site) kit but last time I spoke to him it was like a 1 - 2 month wait. If you have the time do it yourself you should from what Ive seen its pretty easy and if your meticoullos like I am and pay great attention to detail then you will be truly only satisfied with your own work.

Five10PacksDE
05-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I am thinking or returning the kit, but keeping the sway bar and steering bar to save money on shipping. Those were the only 2 parts taht I had no complaint except it taking a really really long time. Who is this guy you talk of? How much? How is it if I don't flip the crossmember, but I make clearance for the oil pan? cause after looking at his kit. worse comes to worse, I might go get those stupid nuts to bolt the engine on and create room for the pan. Run that untill I can afford datsport. I haven't checked on that yet, demon, i will check later this week, or take more pics with a ruller so u get a good idea. Thanks for posting the pics

Demon
05-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Dan is on these forums, from the pics he has sent me of his work look good just do a search for TTWOMP. You know as a safety concern for yourself and the people around you when driving your 510 with that SR in it, you should at least grind down the welds to level to see if there was good penetration, or maybe just grind them down and reweld them. Maybe you should reinforce that crossmember a little as well.

Five10PacksDE
05-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I am mailing him, letting him know I want to return it, but he is not replying. I was thinking of returning the driveshaft, hardeware, n crossmember, and keep the steering and sway for shipping costs. I give him a little more time to reply to me.

Five10PacksDE
05-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I am sure he has seen these forums, and is butthurt over everyone's comments on his kit. His fault for puttinmg his name on sucha crappy product. U guys seen his video on his website? Haha

Demon
05-07-2005, 07:58 PM
No Comment! On the video.

Five10PacksDE
05-09-2005, 01:17 AM
How much are you guys getting the datsport kits for? I need to save up.

Five10PacksDE
05-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Anyone run the crossmember not flipped, but cut some of the crossmember for the pan clearance? I know this one guy that did it on his ka24de.

Demon
05-13-2005, 09:44 AM
How much are you guys getting the datsport kits for? I need to save up.

Datsport kits are about 1100 directly from them and kbeam is about 1200, go to www.datsport.com (http://www.datsport.com) for pricing and www.kbeam.com (http://www.kbeam.com)

Demon
05-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Anyone run the crossmember not flipped, but cut some of the crossmember for the pan clearance? I know this one guy that did it on his ka24de.

If you have the CM kit already, why dont you just modify it? Move your motor mounts in the width of the nuts/spacers then reinforce the bracket. I would then check the angle of the tailshaft to see if you might have to modify the trans mount. I know it sounds easy and probably isnt, but it is a lot cheaper than buying a Datsport kit.

Five10PacksDE
05-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I wanted to add that cm510 told me to use teh stock sr20de tranny crossmember, and it is nowhere near going to fit teh 510 chasis. Anyways

If you have the CM kit already, why dont you just modify it? Move your motor mounts in the width of the nuts/spacers then reinforce the bracket. I would then check the angle of the tailshaft to see if you might have to modify the trans mount. I know it sounds easy and probably isnt, but it is a lot cheaper than buying a Datsport kit.

Yeah, definately. I am thinking of a datsport kit for the far future. I am just goin to have to get another drivesahft made. I am going to check out the 510 tranny crossmember or the sr one, and see which one is best to modify. It let me down a lot, but I must go on! hahaha. Good news is that I have ordered a radiator from RonDavisRadiators, recieved my disc brake brackets, and am on my way to hwat I would say 70% done. Wiring Demon! We both need help on that one. Hopefully someone replies your post. I think a lot of people with the knowledge are making money off it, so they do not want to release the info. Oh well

Demon
05-19-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm actually pretty good at wiring, the only thing I would need is a schematic and thats it.

Five10PacksDE
05-19-2005, 10:20 PM
I e-mailed cm 510 about the tranny mount problem and this is what he replied. You guys gotta read this!
"Hello Matthew,

You're right, it does not sit perfectly flat, however once drilled and
fastened through the double floor pannel, you will not have a problem.

Cheers"

By far, the worst kit available.

Demon
05-20-2005, 08:58 AM
well, if your tranny isnt level along with the driveshaft through to the differential, then your motor isnt level either. CM should be ashamed of himself.

Five10PacksDE
05-21-2005, 04:22 PM
yeah, when I thought everything else was bad enough, I got tho the tranny, and he gives me that BS. I think I am gunna e-mail him this thread. Hahhahaha