PDA

View Full Version : Open atmosphere wastegate

shoes59
04-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Is it possible to reduce the noise level of an open atmosphere wastegate. I like the advantages of running one but I think the noise may be a bit much for me. Perhaps a miniature muffler of sorts?

eyustfu
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
you can always dump it back into the downpipe/exhaust, it will quiet it down much more

cosmoworks
04-27-2005, 01:36 PM
you can always dump it back into the downpipe/exhaust, it will quiet it down much more

But that wouldn't be open atmosphere.

-Cosmo

eyustfu
04-27-2005, 02:06 PM
whoops my bad, kinda skimmed through the text

TS4l
04-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Lots of people use motorcycle mufflers to quite it down, I think it sounds beautiful without the muffler though.

joemumz
04-27-2005, 04:41 PM
what is the real adcantage of running it open besides the sound

moocow
04-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Lawnmower mufflers are supposed to work well, and they're usually the same pipe diameter. I would think a motorcycle muffler would take up too much space.

Brad
04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
ive always wondered what determines the sound on these things. most i hear just sound like the car switches to open downpipe when it hits boost, some sound like a cool "bew bew bew" sound like a fluttering BOV. all are open atmospherically vented external wastegate setups. anyone know?

knate
04-27-2005, 08:35 PM
ive always wondered what determines the sound on these things. most i hear just sound like the car switches to open downpipe when it hits boost, some sound like a cool "bew bew bew" sound like a fluttering BOV. all are open atmospherically vented external wastegate setups. anyone know?

Number of cylinders, size of the turbo, diameter of wastegate pipe, possibly boost controller.. If it sounds like it's flutter it's possible it's from the boost controller cycling the wastegate open and closed. I haven't heard many open wastegate cars, so I'm just guessing.

killjoy
04-28-2005, 08:02 AM
what is the real adcantage of running it open besides the sound

More power.