PDA

View Full Version : Differential: ABS MT VLSD in a non ABS AT S14?

Bart
04-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Hello. The bearings of my diff just died, my car is a USDM Kouki, NON-ABS and still automatic. I have found a source, including a VLSD and the driveshaft coming from an S14 Silvia but its WITH ABS and manual. I was not able to find the info anywhere. I know the ABS diff has the ABS sensor in front, and I think it makes it 1/2" longer. but could I use the Silvia's 2nd part of the driveshaft along with its VLSD in my auto S14 without having to cut/weld anything?

Thanks a lot, couldn't find the info anywhere.

insndrvr
04-30-2005, 09:11 AM
I am pretty sure there is enough slack in everything to use your driveshaft with the longer diff. It's not ideal, but it does work. As you probabaly know, the output shaft end of the driveshaft is different, I am not sure about the back half of the shaft.

RDM_II
04-30-2005, 11:02 AM
I have an ABS diff in my non-ABS auto, fits fine, same as it did in my 5speed. There's enough tolerance for it all to bolt in.

Bart
04-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies, I appreciate it.
I just spoken with the parts departement at the dealership, and he told me that there is a difference between the 97-98 differentials and the previous ones. I suppose those are minor differences since some people changed from those years to earlier ones. He confirmed as well that there is no difference between the auto and MT ones, but that the ABS one is somewhat different.
Anyways, now that I know it fits, I'll just go and grap the Silvia's VLSD.
Thanks!

insndrvr
04-30-2005, 02:57 PM
If you ever plan on swapping and it's not too expensive, you may want to snag the driveshaft anyway. Start the 5 speed parts collection.

Bart
04-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Well I have almost all the parts needed for the swap, except for the clutch pedal assembly and the hard lines, I have everything else needed. But either way, I must replace my differential since it's toast.
Since I'll get the driveshaft with the VLSD, I should be safe. I just hope it'll fit right without hacing to make new holes/ brackets or whatever.

moorefire
05-02-2005, 06:20 AM
You'll be fine if you have the driveshaft.

W/ a non ABS driveshaft and an ABS pumpkin the carrier bearing won't line up right.

Bart
05-07-2005, 11:41 AM
After all, the abs VLSD can be used with a non abs driveshaft. There was enough clearance after all. Basically I just removed my open diff, swapped the VLSD and kept the same driveshaft. So that was stright forward.

Now is there any difference in the gear ratios between a Silvia's VLSD and a USDM open diff?

RDM_II
05-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Gear ratios differ a little depending on model/trim, there's a chart somewhere on here that was posted recently.

Bart
05-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I just found the FSM's of the respective cars, the 240sx comes with a 4.083 gear ratio with wither the R200V or the R200. The Silvia always comes with the R200V but with automatic tranny the differential has a 3.916 ratio and the manual has a 3.692 ratio.

moorefire
05-09-2005, 09:55 AM
I just found the FSM's of the respective cars, the 240sx comes with a 4.083 gear ratio with wither the R200V or the R200. The Silvia always comes with the R200V but with automatic tranny the differential has a 3.916 ratio and the manual has a 3.692 ratio.

not nessicarily...
http://www.nissansilvia.co.nz/tech/Silvia-180SX%20Table.htm

how did you get your carrier bearing to seat properly in the bracket?