PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend metal head gaskets? Why?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-09-2002, 05:15 PM
I've been told that a 1.0mm+ metal head gasket will allow me to run pump gas in my SR. Dont know if this is true or not, but aside from this does it offer any kind of performance benefits? Pros? cons?

01-09-2002, 08:30 PM
You can run pump gas on a stock SR. Heck, you can run pump gas on turboed SR20DE's which have 9.5:1 compression.

A thicker headgasket will give you a slightly lower compression ratio which you might think would be beneficial for reducing
the chances of detonation. However, a thicker headgasket reduces the effectiveness of the "quench" areas of the combustion chamber (the flat regions in the combustion chamber where the piston and head come very close to each other).

The stock headgasket is good to over 20 psi.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stopper07:
I've been told that a 1.0mm+ metal head gasket will allow me to run pump gas in my SR. Dont know if this is true or not, but aside from this does it offer any kind of performance benefits? Pros? cons?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Just change the stock headgasket when you blow it (tuning), or when you pulled the head for motor work.

Another benefit is metal headgasket can usually be reused for the 2nd time.

Tx.

Wayne http://www.phase2motortrend.com

**DONOTDELETE**
01-09-2002, 10:41 PM
Well that $250's not comming out of my pocket for a while then. And to think, I almost bought one, thinking that if i didnt have it, I'd be paying loads of money buying octane booster for every tank. thats a relief.