PDA

View Full Version : battery terminal cleaning



**DONOTDELETE**
01-09-2002, 10:50 PM
the terminals on my battery are pretty nasty. it's got that bluish white powder mold looking stuff. it's all over the battery mount and that whole area also. first of all is this an indication of anything being wrong with the battery? second, how toxic is this stuff? i'm not about to taste it and see what happens or anything but should i watch out not to inhale it by accident or anything? third, how should i go about cleaning it up? do i have to use battery terminal cleaner or can i just wipe it down with a sponge or paper towel?

MaxType 240
01-10-2002, 06:59 AM
Ashland MA, huh? Used to go horseback riding out there...
The terminals are easily cleaned with cloth & Brasso or Mothers metal polishes. They just don't clean, they shine - that's my military background for you http://www.freshalloy.com/
I think the white deposits consist of calcium but I could be wrong...

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2002, 07:04 AM
Or if you don't wanna "polish" them like our Air Force buddy here says (what's up Jesse? http://www.freshalloy.com/) you can just cut a lemon in half and squeeze some of its juice all over the sulphate (white stuff)... you'll have fun seeing how the lemon just eats it away http://www.freshalloy.com/

BTW- I don't think that means there's anything wrong with your battery, maybe it's a loose connection or just time that caused it.

The Freak

MaxType 240
01-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Carlos, I do do get carried away with that polish - still haven't seen a valve cover as shiny as mine & I'm still going at it http://www.freshalloy.com/
Maybe I should get in the business...

BioSehnsucht
01-10-2002, 08:37 AM
"IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE MILITARY, IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!*


*[this by no way is an endorsement by the military establishment]"

http://www.freshalloy.com/

Fahaka
01-10-2002, 09:08 AM
The powder is an acid, if it's bluish, it is eating your copper wires. Use baking soda to neutralize the acid. When you are done spray some lithium grease on it to stop the chemical reaction.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-10-2002, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fahaka:
The powder is an acid, if it's bluish, it is eating your copper wires. Use baking soda to neutralize the acid. When you are done spray some lithium grease on it to stop the chemical reaction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent Idea and solver.
Also, another and better thing to do with that bottle/can of Coke-a-cola (so no mixup of Coke is assumed) is to pour it over your connectors and let it clean deeper and better than ANYTHING on the market.
Then Tighten the Posts down and Use Lithium spray grease or a Tube from Home Depot.

http://www.freshalloy.com/

JonCarson
01-10-2002, 02:52 PM
When cleaning or working on your battery, I recommend you wear something that you don't mind ruining. The acid produced by your battery can very easily burn holes in your clothes. Also, be careful not to get any acid--liquid or powder--on the paint of your car. It'll burn holes in that too.

Your hands will probably feel itchy after dealing with a corroded battery. It's the acid that got on your hands. Be sure to wash your hands and everything else carefully.

HyperTek
01-10-2002, 04:22 PM
cut teh top off a soda can, fill can with water, mix water with baking soda, then put ur battery plugs in it, (one at a time of course!! http://www.freshalloy.com/ ) then watch the gunk desolve.
you might not want to touch this stuff.

Super13
01-10-2002, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fahaka:
The powder is an acid, if it's bluish, it is eating your copper wires. Use baking soda to neutralize the acid. When you are done spray some lithium grease on it to stop the chemical reaction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kinda like the statue of liberty