PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid SR Block Swap S13 Head on S14 Block

ItzGenX
05-10-2005, 02:48 PM
As some of you may know, I pulled the JGY disaster S13 SR block out of my car and planned to replace the block with a fresh S14 block. Everything about both are the same as far as bolt holes and such go. All is the same except this minor deal on the surface of the block. The S14 block seems to have an extra oil hole with a restrictor that the S13 block lacks. It is probably used for VTC. The problem?--I am trying to throw my old S13 head on this thing. Lets refer to the extra hole as the VTC hole. As for blocking the hole off, it is easy. Most metal head gaskets have that extra hole in the gasket. The S13 head should seal it off nice and fine because the head has a nice flat spot right there with no hole. The thing that bugs me is that the S13 head has an oil restrictor right next to the head bolt passage where the S14 block lacks this restrictor. How would some of you go about tackling this minor difference between the two? Here is a picture I just took to show what I am talking about. The main concern is the hole without a restrictor in it.

http://myweb.cableone.net/tain228/s14vss13block.jpg

Extremely sorry about the size, but I do not want to leave out any details in the image.

fat200sx
05-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Does anyone know the answer to this... I was going to get an S13 bottom end to rebuild my s14 SR20DET??

Turbob15sentra
05-16-2005, 11:12 AM
I put a S13 head onto my S14 block.. I used a metal headgasket, and it sealed off just fine. I made 661whp with mine..

Travis

Sil_40sx
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know the answer to this... I was going to get an S13 bottom end to rebuild my s14 SR20DET??

No you can't use a S13 bottom end to rebuild your S14 SR20det. You need oil for your VTC S14 head and S13 bottom end don't have that extra hole on the picture for oil to pass for the VTC.

S14 Head w/ S13 Bottom end = its a Big NO!

ItzGenX
05-17-2005, 02:16 AM
I forgot to mention I found the answers on a Silvia forum in based in Australia. A Toda rep I spoke to from the boards via email sent me many pictures of examples and such, with explanations. Basically, an S13 block can only take a S13 head. A S14 block can take any head, as long as an S14/15 head gasket is used. The restrictor that is not present in the S14 block is not a problem because the oil will be restricted at the cams going through tiny holes (feeds the journals). Basically it is a bolt on swap if you have the correct head gasket with VTC hole(most metal head gaskets have the extra hole).