PDA

View Full Version : SR Q's...tranny, ecu temp sens., and diagnostic

S13wannabe
05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
A few questions, hopefully someone can help...
I have a rich A/F problem i posted about a while back, I think the root of the problem is the Temp Sensor that feeds to the ECU, can someone tell me where that sensor is and what's it's resistance reading should be ?

2nd, to help verify if this sensor is bad, I wanted to run the diagnostic mode on the ECU, can someone help give me some instruction on that, I know there's a site that lists all the codes, i just don't know how to pull them.

3rd, is the KA24E tranny the same as KA24DE tranny as is the same as the SR tranny with the exception of the bell housing ?

too_much_boost
05-15-2005, 11:25 PM
1. The water temp sensor on an SR is just below the inlet manifold, right next to the throttle body. There is actually 2 temp sensors there. One for the ECU and the other for the dash temp guage.

2. The easiest way to diagnose problems like this is by getting your hands on a consult adapter and software. It can be purchased quite cheaply online.

3. No idea on this one, sorry

SRFiveTen
05-16-2005, 12:50 AM
2nd, to help verify if this sensor is bad, I wanted to run the diagnostic mode on the ECU, can someone help give me some instruction on that, I know there's a site that lists all the codes, i just don't know how to pull them.

the senosr could be bad, but not bad enough to trigger a code.
EASIEST and FREE method to test the sensor is to simply disconnect it.
your ecu would function without the feedback from this sensor, but when you do disconnect it and run the engine, you will trigger a code and it will be stored.
IF the over-rich situation clears up by disconnecting the sensor, you can pretty much conclude that the sensor is "off".

if the problem is solved, don't forget to clear the stored code.
google, "nissan ecu codes"
well, while you are fishing around with the codes, you might want to check for other stored codes before you clear them all.

S13wannabe
05-17-2005, 04:16 PM
cool, good info guys......but how do I actually switch the ECU into diagnostic mode ? I was looking at it, and there's an adjustment screw I saw (potentiometer), I turned it a little then turned the ignition on, nothing happened.

nobody knows about the KA24E tranny ?

S13wannabe
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
dang, now my car won't start......here's what happened

got into diagnostic mode, pulled codes...tried to take it out of diag. mode, and start car, ok that's fine......go back into diag mode to see if same codes come up, car won't start and red light on ECU stays on.....maybe i flooded it ? I'm going to try starting it again here in a little bit. I can't imagine something messed up just from pulling codes, i wasn't playing with anything else.

Oh yeah, here's the codes i pulled, not good:
11, 13, and 34

camshaft sensor, temp sensor, and knock sensor, respectively......what the heck do i do now ?

S13wannabe
05-17-2005, 06:16 PM
ok, car was just flooded....however, i started it let it run for a few minutes, shut it off and pulled codes, and now it's only giving out code 13, which like i thought in the beginning, it's the temp sensor...weird though how the others went away, why would this happen ?

I think I saw in another post that KA and FWD SR temp sensors are the same, is that correct ?

nmap
05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
the FWD and RWD temp sensors are indeed the same. i just swapped my stock RWD temp sensor for a FWD temp sensor from the dealer, only apperant visual difference is a blue harness connector on the FWD sensor vs. a red harness connector on the RWD sensor.

on that note, after swapping out a lazy sensor (not enough to throw a code, but effecting performance) my car is running like a champ. the symptoms my car was seeing were a significant power loss from 3-5.5k rpm, then 6 and above would smooth out. after fixing an exhaust leak at my o2 extention it got better, after swapping the coolant temp sensor (only 28 bucks at the most overpriced dealer in the nissan dealer network) it's now running awesome for a stock boost car.