PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger recommendation for me?

Protoss
05-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Greetings,

I'm looking to put a supercharger on my new G35 after I have a couple thousand miles on it. For the sake of being better able to trade it in and/or sell it in the future, it's very important to me that I install a kit that can be completely removed so that the car seems nice and stock (even to a mechanic) when it's time to part ways with my baby. Does anyone have any good recommedations for me?

Riffster
05-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Right now the supercharger vendors for the G that are out there (non-custom) are:

<ul type="square[/img]
1. Stillen
2. ATI
3. Vortech
4. Dreamworkes

[/list]

I don't know anyone who has a Dreamworkes - so no knowledge of them. Contact them and see if their systems allow you to easily 'roll back' the car to pre-FI configuration.

Stillen requires you to have your hood modified in order to install their supercharger - so probably not a good idea in your case, unless you plan to purchase a hood just for the S/C and keep the unmodified one for changing back to stock.

ATI was the first S/C out - there have been a few issues with their system, but nearly all have been due to bad installations and/or tuning. No modifications needed to the hood - as to reversability of the system - I would check with the vendor.

Vortech - same as ATI. A few problems, mostly due to improper tuning or abuse. Check with the vendor about rolling back to pre-FI config.

- Riff

GZire
05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd go Vortech first since you don't need another hood to fit it. Second option would be Stillen.

BrianlG35C
05-13-2005, 03:22 PM
How about the APS Single Turbo? Should have more torque and hp "out of the box" than any SC. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

helldorado
05-13-2005, 10:42 PM
How about the APS Single Turbo? Should have more torque and hp "out of the box" than any SC. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Agreed, and it'll be easier on the engine. Downside to any supercharger is the pully puts additional strain on the engine. I think the APS turbo would be a bit easier to revert to stock, but you'll have to keep part of your exhaust sitting around. ST gets intalled where the downpipe/cat is and replaces those parts. Depending on how long you plan to keep the car before selling it, might be a good option. Pricewise, it falls in-line with most of the SC's. I'm willing to bet the ST holds it's own value better for resale as well.

If you're set on a SC, I'd say Vortech then Stillen as well.

rouxroux
05-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Well, we've had our ATI C2 Procharger unit for over 30,000 miles now, and very few problems (belt,pulley bearing), but all were taken care of with no hassles by ATI and Grubbs. One of the cleanest, no-hassle, "factory appearing" mods I've EVER seen! I know the Vortec unit is good as well, but I just love the fact of a true air-to-air IC unit, AND self-contained lubrication that the ATI offers. As far as "putting it back to stock", what are you planning to do...use the unit for another G or Z? When (and if) we part with our sc'ed G, we'll sell the unit right along with the car...The next owner will get just as many grins from it as we have!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eagle1
05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Rouxroux tops me in experience and miles, but I have had the ATI for 20,000 miles and echo his experience. It has been a dream unit with 9 track days on it to boot. If you are going to run it on the track, I prefer the responsiveness and predictability of the SC. If you are going to use it only on the street, the turbo will give you better mileage and less sound issues unless you are in the boost. Either way, be very intelligent about how you handle the boost, the heat and the tune. If you are, you should lots of fun and little trouble. Get greedy for power or stupid and you will be walking home right away.

DeanG35c6
05-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Anyone know of the HKS Supercharger?