PDA

View Full Version : Whistling problems with type s bov

rn240sx
05-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Here is whats happening:
Im driving down the road, go wot, hit 15 psi and shift, bov opens and releases all the air.... all fine and dandy, but then when im just cruising down the road staying at a solid speed NOT in boost and i let the gas pedal go, the bov starts to whistle on me and it will stay there until i hit the gas pedal again..
Release the pedal again and the whistle starts up again.
I tightened up the bov and got rid of the whistle, but then i started to get compressor surge...
So right now its either i get compressor surge or that annoying whistle sound when i let off throttle..

Is this normal for this bov or is the valve just going bad or are my springs just loosing tension..??

Pepperoni
05-16-2005, 02:49 PM
do u have both springs inside there? theres two. try taking out the bigger one and keeping the smaller one. if that doesnt work try using the bigger one. then adjust and see if it does the same. thats all i can think of

Silverbullet86
05-27-2005, 09:44 AM
ok first off, do you know why the Type S whistles? It is because the GReddy Type S BOV is a horrible design. It whistles because the air is squeezing through a small chamber. Not only that, it also leaks at high boost 14-15+ psi. Now keeping that in mind, Im assuming its whistling when your deacelerating? When you deacel, it goes under 0psi into vac. When in vac, the BOV is open. When it is open, air comes out. As you know, the Type S whistles when air comes out. This is why your hearing it.

When you tightened your BOV all the way down, you got rid of the whistle by shutting off the BOV completely. If you've played with your BOV before u installed it, you will notice when you tighten the screw, it just limits how much the valve can open.. when u tighen all the way, it is all the way shut and will not open. This is hte reason for the compressor surge when u tighten down all the way.

aukalok
05-27-2005, 10:07 AM
If you are only getting a little compressor surge, I wouldnt worry about it if it has stopped leaking. I have an HKS ssqv, and get a little bit of surge when I go to 0 to .1 bar.

luka
05-27-2005, 01:39 PM
it may be sticking, I had that happen with my throttle once. I'd let go .. but it wouldn't.

and it definitely shouldn't be leaking while under vacuum. when in vac it's closed shut or else you'd have an air leak which would equal to running lean during idle (ie unmetered air is getting in).

cosmoworks
05-27-2005, 02:37 PM
when in vac it's closed shut or else you'd have an air leak which would equal to running lean during idle (ie unmetered air is getting in).

If it's recirculated, then the air is still metered.

-Cosmo