PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake or Not? By Pass Vavles?

psykoman
05-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Of course cooler air then whats from the engine bay is better but is it really worth it? Can you notice the gain in Hp? Also by pass vavles? do they really work or screw the cold air intake and by pass vavle and just keep the intake in the engine bay? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh i am talking about a sr20det... I always thought with a turbo with intercooler you don't need a cold air intake because the intercooler would be cooling the air anyways? Is having a cold air intake still worth it if you have turbo with intercooler?

SRENITY
05-18-2005, 04:03 PM
If you are going to go through the trouble of finding a way to make your intake charge colder and spend the money to do so just put on a CO2, or H2O sprayer on your intercooler and you will make the charge much colder than a CAI could ever dream of doing.

psykoman
05-18-2005, 05:23 PM
um i just wanted my question answered...=/ i just wanted to know about the intake not about making it colder i just want to know if it makes a difference or not

SRENITY
05-18-2005, 05:46 PM
It won't help enough to make it worth the effort.

compression
05-19-2005, 09:15 AM
The bypass valve only extremely minorly affects power output, like a fraction of a HP. It stays closed until the air filter is submerged in water, then vacuum builds in the intake pipe, and instead of pulling water up the pipe, the valve opens and air is let in. Yes it works.
As far as cold air on a turbo car...The colder the air going into the turbo, the colder it is coming out (at same boost level), so it can help, but I agree, it wont make much difference.

ZENKI_KONG
05-26-2005, 02:08 PM
marginal gain using a CAI on a boosted vehicle. the performance return u'd get "if any" prolly isn't worth the expense i imagine a company would want for the item. i imagine u could spend the money better

tErbobOOst
05-26-2005, 06:38 PM
CAI on boosted vehicles can actually cause a loss in power. Turbos do not like to have to try and get the air they want. They want it as easily as possible (where on NA the velocity that a CAI creates can actually help power). So you want your intake piping as short as possible, that is why you will not see CAI on many turbo or SC cars.

The fact that the air is colder is totally negated because of the intercooler and because the turbo heats up the air anyways.

The only good way to run a CAI setup is if you only add about a foot or less of piping (with minimal bends) then what is normal, then it MIGHT be of some gain.