PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Sensor probe placement (searched)

s13dummy
05-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Just wondering about the downsides of placing it in the lower hose going from the engine to the rad (sr). Will it show similar readings to the more common upper rad hose?

I only ask because I have never seen it done this way before. It would also be easier for me to install.

TIA

insndrvr
05-20-2005, 03:53 PM
The coolant in the lower hose is the temp of the water coming out of the radiator, it has already been cooled. The temp of the upper hose is the temp of the coolant in the engine. That is what you want to measure for a gauge. For a fan controller, you might want to measure the temp coming out of the radiator, if it's too hot, you need more air, if it's cold enough, the fans can stay off.

tErbobOOst
05-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I just installed my sensor and found an easy and very accurate spot. There is a hose going into the throttle body on the right side for coolant. Cut that hose and get an 1/8 NPT 'T' fitting and install it inline w/ the hose. Works perfect, and you get more accurate coolant temps then putting it in the radiator hoses.

insndrvr
05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
and you get more accurate coolant temps then putting it in the radiator hoses.

How does that work? The upper radiator hose is the coolant coming right out of the engine off the head. So does the line that splits off and goes to the TB, how is one more accurate than the other?

tErbobOOst
05-21-2005, 01:56 AM
It is more accurate because when the thermostat is closed the radiator isnt seeing any coolant flow. When the sensor is in the TB hose it is getting the same exact reading the thermo is seeing and the stock ecu sensor.

While I'm sure its not that much of a difference, it is more accurate. If your thermostat gets stuck closed I dont think you would notice it as fast w/ the sensor in the radiator hose.