PDA

View Full Version : much better 12.0 @ 118mph street tires gt2871r .64

cwdmark
05-21-2005, 12:47 AM
bunch of us went to the track tonight just to hang, and after a bunch of horrible 2.7 and 2.4 60's, i bust out a 1.9 on kumho ecsta 711's http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/633000-633999/633231_341_full.jpg

19psi, stock head gasket, gt2871r .64, hks 264/264, topspeed intake manifold, 800cc/z32, enthalpy tune, 180sx vlsd

same sucky track i ran the 12.6 at, after some weight reduction (front bumper support, cf hatch, cf hood) and another lb of boost. i think this car would do high 11's on these (crappy) street tires at a better track. track is notorious for .2-.3 slower et's. launched at 5k, slight feathering of clutch then it just went and i nailed every gear. if i held the clutch a tenth longer i bet it would have pulled a better 60' because i probably hit 2nd before the 60' ended.

the tires do have a 225/50/16 and 245/50/16 going for them though. smaller, better tires like bfg dr's would probably increase the acceleration and get me off the line a lot quicker.

d2 coilovers have 9/7 spring rates, but were adjusted full soft in front and rear. 22psi (warm) in the rear tires, 30psi in the fronts. the car actually had pretty good weight transfer.

that said, im very very very happy http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif dr's are on my list of things to get, but after this run they have been pushed back because im really happy with this time on street tires.

im glad because now all these cleveland 240's have gotta run an 11 sec time to beat me http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

klattr1
05-21-2005, 01:27 AM
awesome for power level and street tires!

time for some 255/50/16 MT ET Street radials. thats what i got on my car now on my Z32 TT rear wheels. makes it look meaty!

did creating boost with no drivetrain load help or hurt you out off the line?

cwdmark
05-21-2005, 06:34 AM
thanks

did creating boost with no drivetrain load help or hurt you out off the line?

i wasn't creating boost because i wasn't popping it on the rev. i was rev and holding, so there was just vaccuum. i can only make boost on a hard rev. no slicks/dr's yet, so no can do

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nismodave
05-21-2005, 07:27 AM
So the car has some weight reduction???

Congrats on the #. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlackBomber
05-21-2005, 07:44 AM
congrats mark, first email i got this morning was the dragtimes notification.

if you can get your 60 fts down into the 1.5-1.6s you will be seeing another 8 tenths or so come off our time. with 370whp you should be DEEP into the 11s. I'm guessing 11.4-11.5. 12.0 on real street tires with your power level is impressive nonetheless.

nice work.

wootwoot
05-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I love seeing street tire times. Nice stuff!

SilverArrow27
05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I love seeing street tire times. Nice stuff!

I agree! Great job man.

cwdmark
05-21-2005, 04:30 PM
thanks guys. it was probably my 6th run of the night, and right when i left the light i knew i had to hit every gear perfect because i took off like a bat.

ill probably be heading to thompson in a couple weeks then norwalk later in the year, hopefully 11's with street tires will come http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif now i know what to launch at and what to set the car up for. i have to say though that this is the best i've ever seen dragway 42 prep their track.

the only reason im not running 20-21psi is because of the stock head gasket. im wondering how long i can push this thing haha.

btw, best trap of the night was 119.34

okashira
05-21-2005, 05:04 PM
119 trap with 370whp and ~2600lbs?
Ive seen z06's trap at 118 with 350whp and 3100lbs... is our cars slower times/speeds because of turbo lag/powerband? how much boost were you running for the 370whp dyno run?
btw, nice launch

redhanded
05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
awesome job! i also went to the tracks last night on some 15" throw away tires, just to see what would happen. i ended up running a 15.3 @ 96 mph. i was only able to finish in 3rd gear, and believe me when i say i was spinning the whole track, lol. Time to get new slicks and get back to running high 11's.

good job though, much impressive with street tires, still cannot believe how you did not break traction with the HP you have.

cwdmark
05-21-2005, 06:00 PM
119 trap with 370whp and ~2600lbs?
Ive seen z06's trap at 118 with 350whp and 3100lbs... is our cars slower times/speeds because of turbo lag/powerband? how much boost were you running for the 370whp dyno run?
btw, nice launch

the 370whp run was done at 20psi as well as spraying the intercooler with water. i was probably running a tad over 350whp on this run. we'll see if we can make some kinda custom icer to ice down the ic before runs. there is an EASY 15whp just by spraying the ic or similiar. im also considering cryo. the car should weigh 2500 lbs or less right now, and once i change out head gasket, up the boost and get cryo it should make a fairly dramatic difference.

awesome job! i also went to the tracks last night on some 15" throw away tires, just to see what would happen. i ended up running a 15.3 @ 96 mph. i was only able to finish in 3rd gear, and believe me when i say i was spinning the whole track, lol. Time to get new slicks and get back to running high 11's.

good job though, much impressive with street tires, still cannot believe how you did not break traction with the HP you have.

dragway 42 never preps the track. last time i was out i had to turn down the gain and shortshift 1st and 2nd to get any traction. last nite they sprayed the track with a real nice prepper a few runs before this one, and that made lane conditions a lot better.

wootwoot
05-21-2005, 06:11 PM
So I have an idea for the intercooler sprayer that is super easy.....Those dust off bottles that you use to clean electronics, just turn it upside down and spray the crap out of your intercooler. You can get 6packs of those cans at CircuitCity or whatever you have there for 10 bucks. One can should be enough for each run: just a little ghetto idea.

SilviaKs
05-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Whats the drama with the stock head gasket? I would of thought aslong as you didn't detonate or wnything it should hold 370whp? Are they known to let go around that level? Awesome times

redhanded
05-21-2005, 07:55 PM
ive seen 21spi on my stock headgasket with a t3t4 and enthalpy tune. compression check last week was 155-155-154-155 or something near that.

cwdmark
05-21-2005, 08:10 PM
ive seen 21spi on my stock headgasket with a t3t4 and enthalpy tune. compression check last week was 155-155-154-155 or something near that.

well thanks for that info. if i remember right as well, i think greaser was a fan of stock head gaskets and im sure he was around that level. you just inspired me to turn it up tonight http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif i thought it was 18psi or 400whp, whichver comes first, but im sure you can push it a little as long as it's tuned good.

i may just rig up the windshield washer reservoir to sprayers behind the ic spraying into it. im pretty sure you have to be spraying on it while the car is moving to get the best effect.

nrgonline
05-22-2005, 04:07 AM
So I have an idea for the intercooler sprayer that is super easy.....Those dust off bottles that you use to clean electronics, just turn it upside down and spray the crap out of your intercooler. You can get 6packs of those cans at CircuitCity or whatever you have there for 10 bucks. One can should be enough for each run: just a little ghetto idea.

Don't listen to this guy. All that will do is bend the fins on your intercooler.

Very nice times. I'll have that turbo one day http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vapor
05-22-2005, 08:46 AM

Don't listen to this guy. All that will do is bend the fins on your intercooler.

are you serious? If so, how?

cwdmark
05-22-2005, 09:26 AM
he must be mistaken. on the dyno we were doing basically the same thing, sprayed the front of the intercooler with some cleaner spray bottles filled with water. it did the job.

asad
05-22-2005, 10:51 AM
There's a difference betweeen water from a spray bottle and a blast of compressed gas from an aerosol can. IF you hold the aerosol can too close to the intercooler, I could definitely see the force from the blast bending fins (remember, the fins are THIN). But do it from any reasonable distance away and give the propellant some time to disperse a bit before hitting the IC so the pressure isn't so high and it should be fine.

Asad

_Def_
05-22-2005, 12:27 PM
There's a difference betweeen water from a spray bottle and a blast of compressed gas from an aerosol can. IF you hold the aerosol can too close to the intercooler, I could definitely see the force from the blast bending fins (remember, the fins are THIN). But do it from any reasonable distance away and give the propellant some time to disperse a bit before hitting the IC so the pressure isn't so high and it should be fine.

Asad

If the IC fins would bend from an aerosol can, I can't see them holding up to 120+mph air very well.

Have any of you guys ever sprayed one of those "dust cleaner" bottles? They put out barely enough force to move your hair around, so your IC will be perfectly fine.

My IC only has a few bent fins from track debris(rubber bits mostly), even spraying it with a garden hose won't bend the fins as long as you can keep the water at least somewhat straight wrt the fins.

wootwoot
05-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I bead blasted a friends i/c at work for him. I asked him before hand if he was worried about it maybe bending some fins but he was ok with it: None of them bent. I turned the pressure down a little bit but I am sure the pressure coming out of one of the bottles will be far less and dense than that.
CWDMark, with the comment reguarding spraying while driving being more effective, yeah I agree. I was thinking since when the bottle is upside down it does nothing but squirt c02 out it could possibly put a large amount of frost onto your cooler helping drop temperatures through out the run. Ofcourse the permanenet sprayer would be better but this just sounds like a fun little idea to me. Maybe I will try it out atleast when I start making some good passes.
So lets back back on topic and off about how slightly compressed air could possibly bend fins. We need to talk more about how bad ass it is that you can run a 12.0 on street tires and better soon to come!! What clutch are you running?? It might have been mentioned above but I possibly missed it. Maybe switching to a metallic 3 puck(if you dont have something similar) would allow you to do a mean slip allowing better 60 foot times?

SLEEPERDEE
05-22-2005, 05:02 PM
mark good times at the track. the 4+4 tires helped you out LOL i cant wait till i get my car running good, i will have to come back home to visit and race you at 23psi lololloloo

cwdmark
05-22-2005, 07:07 PM
I bead blasted a friends i/c at work for him. I asked him before hand if he was worried about it maybe bending some fins but he was ok with it: None of them bent. I turned the pressure down a little bit but I am sure the pressure coming out of one of the bottles will be far less and dense than that.
CWDMark, with the comment reguarding spraying while driving being more effective, yeah I agree. I was thinking since when the bottle is upside down it does nothing but squirt c02 out it could possibly put a large amount of frost onto your cooler helping drop temperatures through out the run. Ofcourse the permanenet sprayer would be better but this just sounds like a fun little idea to me. Maybe I will try it out atleast when I start making some good passes.
So lets back back on topic and off about how slightly compressed air could possibly bend fins. We need to talk more about how bad ass it is that you can run a 12.0 on street tires and better soon to come!! What clutch are you running?? It might have been mentioned above but I possibly missed it. Maybe switching to a metallic 3 puck(if you dont have something similar) would allow you to do a mean slip allowing better 60 foot times?

ok i reread it, must have been tired before. that sounds like a REALLY cool idea, i never knew about co2 coming out of those bottles. ill definitely try that out next time at the track. im a fan of ghetto rigging stuff until i get the real thing hehe. its worth a few bucks to try it out.

clutch is a spec stage 3 6-puck. I LOVE THE CLUTCH. on it for almost 10,000mi, almost half of that time at this power level, .............. and it has never slipped! i beat the hell out of the car every day and drive the car like it was meant to be driven, and it hasn't disappointed. before i have made 11 runs at dragway 42 in one night, usually with 4-5 consecutive runs and launches, and i could never hear it slip. it grabs the instant i shift and hit the gear. i even had people comment to me about how fast they hear the shifts when i go down the track. even on the night of this run, i made back to back 3 consecutive runs. and to top it off its very soft and streetable (yet engages quick). tranny is still shifting like new. whenever it wears out im getting another one, for the price you can't beat them.

i dont want to run anything that engages quicker do to reliability issues. i daily the car from spring to fall. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif all i wanted was a 12.0, very happy i got it. i don't care if i get into 11's, but all my friends are eggen me on http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

also i don't believe i am hitting the power i could be, somethings wrong. im going to try switching out coilpacks.

has anyone ever gotten into 11's on street tires?

wootwoot
05-22-2005, 07:32 PM
I like to hear that about the clutch, mine is sitting across the room from me getting installed tommorow.

cwdmark
05-22-2005, 08:39 PM
make sure to follow the stringent breakin period. if you don't you'll be sorry. at least 500 miles.

killjoy
05-23-2005, 09:48 AM

I have but I consider drag radials street tires. I daily drove with them on too:) They are DOT legal, but don't take that to the bank cause ET Streets are street legal too but they are a slick in my book.

wootwoot
05-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Nittos?? BFG's wouldnt last nearly long enough to daily drive

gatecrasher
05-23-2005, 07:07 PM

I have but I consider drag radials street tires. I daily drove with them on too:) They are DOT legal, but don't take that to the bank cause ET Streets are street legal too but they are a slick in my book.

i consider DRs street tires too. ET streets i dont really, because they are a bias ply tire. world of difference.

killjoy
05-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Yeah Gatecrasher, great minds think alike:)

And yes they were bfg comp ta/s. Daily driven. I don't like nittos.

SRENITY
05-24-2005, 09:16 AM
The Mickey Thompson Drag Radials are currently stickiest tires I would still consider a street tire. The ET Streets are slicks no matter what DOT says. I mean come on any tire that requires a tube is not a street tire.

steve shadows
05-24-2005, 12:35 PM
thats hot http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif good time man

wootwoot
05-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Killjoy, how many miles can you get out of those before they are tottally wasted??
CWDMark, Sorry to keep going off topic but I just installed it today and was getting nervous about this break in period you were talking about. I was advised by Enjuku to take it easy for 1000miles which is ok because I am driving to PA on sunday so that should take care of it but how gentle do I need to be? My car was packed full of stuff on the way home, 4 tires, radiator, differential, old flywheel, old driveshaft, and I down shifted to 4th from 5th at about 60mph out of habit and I heard a slight draging noise and immediatetly pressed the clutch in just in case it was slipping. I'm not sure if this was things vibrating inside of the car or the clutch dragging, any input? I'm just worried about having to drop my tranny again because I just quit my job so I dont have access to a lift for a little while. Sorry for being so good at going offtopic!

killjoy
05-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Not sure how many miles. I drove them for 5000 or so and they were still fine except for when i had put them on my suspension wasn't corrected yet so the insides wore faster than the rest so I can't give a good guess.

cwdmark
05-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Killjoy, how many miles can you get out of those before they are tottally wasted??
CWDMark, Sorry to keep going off topic but I just installed it today and was getting nervous about this break in period you were talking about. I was advised by Enjuku to take it easy for 1000miles which is ok because I am driving to PA on sunday so that should take care of it but how gentle do I need to be? My car was packed full of stuff on the way home, 4 tires, radiator, differential, old flywheel, old driveshaft, and I down shifted to 4th from 5th at about 60mph out of habit and I heard a slight draging noise and immediatetly pressed the clutch in just in case it was slipping. I'm not sure if this was things vibrating inside of the car or the clutch dragging, any input? I'm just worried about having to drop my tranny again because I just quit my job so I dont have access to a lift for a little while. Sorry for being so good at going offtopic!

500 miles is fine. you are not supposed to downshift when breaking in a clutch. did you resurface the flywheel? that is a necessity with a new clutch.

don't feather the clutch while breaking in. just quick in/out at a low speed (before 4k). highway miles do not count because you are not shifting (therefore nothing is being broken in). 500 city miles. gluck.

cwdmark
05-25-2005, 08:04 AM

yea i consider them street tires too. what i meant to say was non dr/slick http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif im up to something with the car right now, don't want to say what but lets just say it will be a bit faster http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wootwoot
05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
No highway miles??? Damnit! Oh well, I'll get that. So no downshifting, got that too. Clutch was installed with a new flywheel so no worries, friction surfaces were cleaned rigoursly as well. Thanks for the tips

killjoy
05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Who told you not to downshift? As long as its not at high rpms I say downshift all the time. It only brakes in the clutch better. The idea is to get the clutch nice and used to it breaks it in.

BlackBomber
05-25-2005, 07:01 PM

500 miles is fine. you are not supposed to downshift when breaking in a clutch. did you resurface the flywheel? that is a necessity with a new clutch.

don't feather the clutch while breaking in. just quick in/out at a low speed (before 4k). highway miles do not count because you are not shifting (therefore nothing is being broken in). 500 city miles. gluck.

I thought the spec stage 3 ceramic disk does not require break in. Only Kevlar and organic discs require break-in. I pounded mine right out of the box and never looked back. I may be wrong but i don't remember ceramic discs requiring a break-in period.

cwdmark
05-25-2005, 08:06 PM
im just going on the info spec provided me when i ordered the clutch. they said no downshifting, shifting above 4k and 500 city miles.

all i know is i followed them and haven't had a problem at all, and im over 10k miles. i've heard lots of people have problems with this clutch but maybe it all stems down to the breakin period.

killjoy
05-25-2005, 08:49 PM
With all the problems with spec I hear about, i don't know how people are still buying them. Maybe it is operator error like you said.

BlackBomber
05-26-2005, 05:38 AM
yeah, mine has been problem free for a couple of years. I believe that one is defective every now and then but i'm sure spec is aware of the problems and has tried to remediate their design or better than QA standards. The stage 2 was the one that had most of the problems.