PDA

View Full Version : 510 SR20 Crossmember Mod

canyoncarver
05-22-2005, 01:19 PM
In case anyone is interested in one way to do this, I posted some pics and a little write-up on my cardomain page. It's at the bottom. Except for the blurry pics any constructive feedback is welcome.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/822738/1

Demon
05-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Acton!!! I used to live in Acton back in 87 - 89 and went to Palmdale High. Small world.

I find your write up interesting, so you are saying that you can bolt the SR20 directly to the stock mounts in the stock location?

canyoncarver
05-22-2005, 02:14 PM
I moved to Acton in late '87. Up Acton Canyon Road

I spent a bit of time working (engineering..lol)on the mounts to get the motor positioned where I wanted it. Both in heigth and fore/aft position. The stock mounts on the xmem are unchanged. I'm even using the original 510 rubber engine mounts. I did modify the steel sr mounts that bolt to the motor. On the drivers side, I ended up adding a 3/8" thick plate to the face that sits on the rubber 510 mount. The new hole is about 3/4" higher up than the original. On the passenger side, I only added a 1/8" plate. I didn't need the thickness, but I only moved the hole a little over half a hole and I wanted a full diameter of hole around the stud on the rubber mount.

Most of my time spent to do the mounts was the get the motor low, level, and as close to the firewall as possible. I have room for heater hoses and that's about it.

I also made the new tranny crossmember to where it bolts to the original body attach points and to the original sr tranny rubber mount.

threepointo
06-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I can tell you right now from personal experience in my old 510 that you are just going to tear the stock rubber mounts to pieces...I had to replace them twice and the guy I sold the car to just called to tell me that he has replaced them twice and he is going to get a X member and modify it to fit the Sr mounts. The stock 510 mounts just cannot handle the power for too long...Good luck...k

Five10PacksDE
06-21-2005, 05:12 AM
I agree that it would be best done with sr mounts.

But besides that, you have pictures of your contruction and welding?

canyoncarver
06-21-2005, 10:22 PM
I agree that it would be best done with sr mounts.

But besides that, you have pictures of your contruction and welding?

not really at this time cuz the motor is in there. When I get to taking the motor back out I'll take more pics of the engine and tranny crossmember.

I am assuming that you read my little spiel here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822738

(it's down a little)

I plan on overcoming tearing the old mounts up by boxing them in a little and then running a stabilizer bar from the head to the body/chassis.

Five10PacksDE
06-27-2005, 04:21 AM
[QUOTE]
I plan on overcoming tearing the old mounts up by boxing them in a little and then running a stabilizer bar from the head to the body/chassis.

Maybe I will get one of those stabilizer bars too.

canyoncarver
10-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I posted some pics with the motor in the car. I got a z32 fuse / relay box that I'm building the engine bay wiring around. I have the turbo outlet / dp plates on order. For $28, it's not worth my time to make them myself. Once I get out and buy some aluminum tubing, I'll start plumbing in the maf, i/c & t/b.

Later

Oh, there's a awesome pic of a 510 TT posted on twinturbo.net in the general forum. search "510". posted 10/16.