PDA

View Full Version : Standalone ECU's

canyoncarver
05-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Might as well pile 'em on while I'm here..... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I saw at least two 510's at the msa show with standalones. What are the best ones for an SR? Some that I've looked at are close to $2k. Are there any cheaper units that run closed loop? Has anybody made their own? Besides the tunability aspect are there any other benefits?

Five10PacksDE
05-22-2005, 02:29 PM
If a computer does not have closed and open loop, I would not call it fuel injection. To me, that sounds like a electronic carb. From what I know, I would talk to the tuner you are going to send it to. My friend went with a AEM unit. He tried a couple others before he decided on that.

canyoncarver
05-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I've been looking into standalones. You can buy the kind that run "no loop". I believe they are for older engines that don't run o2's and electronic controls, kind of like a old carbeurated chevy v-8. But it will also work on a newer motor with direct ignition and fi. Or, you can buy the closed loop system where you get feedback from the o2 sensors to continuously adjust your afr's. If I went standalone, I want the closed loop style of ecu.

btw: I'm the tuner....... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Demon
05-22-2005, 09:29 PM
AEM is supposed to be the best, then I would have to say Apexi.

Five10PacksDE
05-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I've been looking into standalones. You can buy the kind that run "no loop". I believe they are for older engines that don't run o2's and electronic controls, kind of like a old carbeurated chevy v-8. But it will also work on a newer motor with direct ignition and fi. Or, you can buy the closed loop system where you get feedback from the o2 sensors to continuously adjust your afr's. If I went standalone, I want the closed loop style of ecu.

btw: I'm the tuner....... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

IC

compression
05-25-2005, 09:41 AM
I am running an AEM EMS/with wideband O2 sensor, on my SR20DET in my 510.
I am running it in open loop. Runs awesome.
If you do want to run closed loop feedback, it is kind of complicated, and should be set up by a professional tuner.
I plan to eventually, but right now my fuel map (with trims) is doing a wonderful job.
The fuel trims add/subtract a certain amount of fuel based on inputs like intake air temp, water temp, system voltage, etc...
So closed loop is nice, but not absolutely necessary.
There is a forum on the AEM website that has a lot of great info. Or can call them and talk to someone in the EMS department for more info.

canyoncarver
05-27-2005, 08:08 PM
I am running an AEM EMS/with wideband O2 sensor, on my SR20DET in my 510.
I am running it in open loop. Runs awesome.
If you do want to run closed loop feedback, it is kind of complicated, and should be set up by a professional tuner.
I plan to eventually, but right now my fuel map (with trims) is doing a wonderful job.
The fuel trims add/subtract a certain amount of fuel based on inputs like intake air temp, water temp, system voltage, etc...
So closed loop is nice, but not absolutely necessary.
There is a forum on the AEM website that has a lot of great info. Or can call them and talk to someone in the EMS department for more info.

So what you're saying is that you run open loop and then manually tune your afr's off of the wideband. The open loop, closed loop aspect just clicked. It's even lees complicated than I thought. Are there base maps available for the different brands? Are they shared? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

compression
06-07-2005, 12:14 PM
you got it, you manually tune the maps based on your wideband reading.
You manually tune the maps to get as close as possible to your target AFR's (which you have to determine yourself). Then you can used closed loop feedback to make minor adjustments automatically as you drive.

But the bottom line is, you still have to specify what AFR's you want to run at specified locations on the map, then closed-loop looks at the wideband reading and adjusts until the reading matches the AFR you specified.
So the problem is...what AFR do you specify? You have about 250 cells that need target values filled in. Determining what AFR's to run your car at takes lots of dyno time and lots of "guess and check". SO you can see why I just run open loop, and the maps I am using are working very well, I dont see a large need to go closed loop anytime soon.

OverZealousNoob
08-08-2005, 06:02 AM
megasquirt!

SR240Z_Alex
08-16-2005, 11:46 PM
yea a lot of people running the l28et engine have been going with megasquirt and all that i know have said its a great setup for the money and easy to learn and tune yourself. Power FC is great for more modern engines like the sr20 which has drop down menu with a base map already.