PDA

View Full Version : S13 SR starting intermittently

_Def_
05-22-2005, 05:31 PM
My car has been swapped for very near a year now, but this issue just started cropping up a month ago or so and it's gotten worse.

When I go to crank the car, it will crank up about 30% of the time or so. If I keep trying, it'll usually start up after about 2-3 tries, but sometimes it'll do nothing for 10+ tries. If I jiggle the wires going to the starter, that *usually* fixes it and it'll fire right up. I hear no starter relays/solenoid clicking when I turn the ignition key, but it could honestly be that I can't hear it(so it might actually be clicking).

Since the jiggling seems to help, I cut off the stock KA starter signal space connector since it was really tensioned reaching to the starter and crimped on a new spade connector. That seemed to help it, but the problem is still there. The plug looked pretty worn out from the tension, so I think it was only contributing to the problems.

I checked the big 12V wire to the starter, and it seems like it's on there fine. I then mostly unwrapped the harness going from the fuse box by the battery to the starter and separated the starter signal wire out and examined it for shorts/abrasion. It looks fine so I just kept it out of the harness and wrapped the rest of the wires back up.

At this point, since it seems that I can sit in the car and try a few times then it will eventually crank I'm leaning towards it being a starter problem. How hard is it to take the starter apart, clean it then grease it up? It doesn't look that bad in the FSM, but who knows if that crap would just start flying all over the place and it is a ***** to put back together from just looking at an exploded diagram of it.

I don't have a multimeter here, but I plan to borrow one tomorrow and see what's happening voltage wise when it isn't cranking.

But from what it sounds like, does it just sound like something wrong in the starter? I was thinking sticking starter solenoid, but not sure.

When the car does start cranking, it catches immediately everytime, so it isn't a battery voltage problem(which I think is like 12.8-13.1V with the key in the ON position according to my S-AFC2, it's been a while since I checked it though).

I'm going to go out and mess with the battery terminals just to be sure it's not them, but they're torqued down with loctite so they should be fine(it's an Odyssey batt. so it has screw in SAE terminals that you torque down).

lancersr20
05-22-2005, 05:38 PM
I put extra relay for mine and it's good until now.If u don't want to add another relay, try replacing your starter.

BlackBomber
05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
My car has been swapped for very near a year now, but this issue just started cropping up a month ago or so and it's gotten worse.

When I go to crank the car, it will crank up about 30% of the time or so. If I keep trying, it'll usually start up after about 2-3 tries, but sometimes it'll do nothing for 10+ tries. If I jiggle the wires going to the starter, that *usually* fixes it and it'll fire right up. I hear no starter relays/solenoid clicking when I turn the ignition key, but it could honestly be that I can't hear it(so it might actually be clicking).

Since the jiggling seems to help, I cut off the stock KA starter signal space connector since it was really tensioned reaching to the starter and crimped on a new spade connector. That seemed to help it, but the problem is still there. The plug looked pretty worn out from the tension, so I think it was only contributing to the problems.

I checked the big 12V wire to the starter, and it seems like it's on there fine. I then mostly unwrapped the harness going from the fuse box by the battery to the starter and separated the starter signal wire out and examined it for shorts/abrasion. It looks fine so I just kept it out of the harness and wrapped the rest of the wires back up.

At this point, since it seems that I can sit in the car and try a few times then it will eventually crank I'm leaning towards it being a starter problem. How hard is it to take the starter apart, clean it then grease it up? It doesn't look that bad in the FSM, but who knows if that crap would just start flying all over the place and it is a ***** to put back together from just looking at an exploded diagram of it.

I don't have a multimeter here, but I plan to borrow one tomorrow and see what's happening voltage wise when it isn't cranking.

But from what it sounds like, does it just sound like something wrong in the starter? I was thinking sticking starter solenoid, but not sure.

When the car does start cranking, it catches immediately everytime, so it isn't a battery voltage problem(which I think is like 12.8-13.1V with the key in the ON position according to my S-AFC2, it's been a while since I checked it though).

I'm going to go out and mess with the battery terminals just to be sure it's not them, but they're torqued down with loctite so they should be fine(it's an Odyssey batt. so it has screw in SAE terminals that you torque down).

DEF,
my car does the same thing except i would say it starts about 95% of the time. but every once in a while I will turn the key and jack squat happens.

i then turn off and back on and boom it starts right away.

my situation i think is a grounding problem. i never grounded my battery in the rear. Instead, the ground goes to the front of the car and is grounded to the motor. I do have grounding straps from the motor to chassis at various points.

good luck. it is a very annoying problem. do you have a bunch of wires on the your starter + wire? I have the power from the battery and then the lower harness. makes for a big conglomeration of wires on the starter.

_Def_
05-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I took a few beers outside and was determined to solve this. I sanded down the starter signal terminal and put some dielectric grease on there to keep it from getting corroded(it had very minimal corrosion), then recrimped the spade connector on it for a very tight connection. Still the problem persisted...

So I thought about sensors that could have died, and the only one related to starting the car is the clutch starting sensor where it senses if you have the clutch down before completing the circuit.

Well guess what, the small rubber stopper that fits within the hole on the pedal and presses down on the switch had completely fallen out! I think I picked it up about half of this off the driver's side floorboard maybe 2 months ago and had no idea what it went to. I figured it kept something from vibrating and it was hard as a rock so it fell apart.

The pedal had just enough side to side play to allow the edge of the hole to barely catch the clutch sensor if I was pressing it a bit to the left. That's why there was really no rhyme or reason to why it was happening.

I do think the stock KA spade connector for the starter signal wire was a bit worn out due to the tension on the wire, and that was only making the problem more "weird."

This has to be the stupidest solution to a frustrating problem I've ever found though. Made me laugh quite a bit when I found out what it was.

BlackBomber
05-22-2005, 07:47 PM
I took a few beers outside and was determined to solve this. I sanded down the starter signal terminal and put some dielectric grease on there to keep it from getting corroded(it had very minimal corrosion), then recrimped the spade connector on it for a very tight connection. Still the problem persisted...

So I thought about sensors that could have died, and the only one related to starting the car is the clutch starting sensor where it senses if you have the clutch down before completing the circuit.

Well guess what, the small rubber stopper that fits within the hole on the pedal and presses down on the switch had completely fallen out! I think I picked it up about half of this off the driver's side floorboard maybe 2 months ago and had no idea what it went to. I figured it kept something from vibrating and it was hard as a rock so it fell apart.

The pedal had just enough side to side play to allow the edge of the hole to barely catch the clutch sensor if I was pressing it a bit to the left. That's why there was really no rhyme or reason to why it was happening.

I do think the stock KA spade connector for the starter signal wire was a bit worn out due to the tension on the wire, and that was only making the problem more "weird."

This has to be the stupidest solution to a frustrating problem I've ever found though. Made me laugh quite a bit when I found out what it was.

STFU!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

i would've never guessed but it makes perfect sense. I will check mine out as well. i really hadn't spent the time necessary troubleshooting it because it hadn't stranded me yet. i still think i need to ground the battery in the rear of the car when i can get off my lazy a$$.

congrats on the easy fix.

_Def_
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Yea, it's absolutely retarded that this has been causing it the whole time. The even stupidier thing is that I was just down there about a week ago adjusting my clutch pedal a bit. Never even noticed it because I wasn't looking at it specifically. Maybe I subconsciously thought about it though, because as soon as I thought "clutch switch" I envisioned it with that hole on the pedal. Then the thought of picking up the rubber stopper came to mind and it all suddenly made sense - CSI style. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I blame it on the beer though, I think it gave me superhuman intuition for a brief moment. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hopefully that stopper isn't NLA from the dealership. If it is, I'll just JB Weld a piece of metal up there, but I imagine it'll click pretty loud everytime I press down the pedal.

BlackBomber
05-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Yea, it's absolutely retarded that this has been causing it the whole time. The even stupidier thing is that I was just down there about a week ago adjusting my clutch pedal a bit. Never even noticed it because I wasn't looking at it specifically. Maybe I subconsciously thought about it though, because as soon as I thought "clutch switch" I envisioned it with that hole on the pedal. Then the thought of picking up the rubber stopper came to mind and it all suddenly made sense - CSI style. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I blame it on the beer though, I think it gave me superhuman intuition for a brief moment. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hopefully that stopper isn't NLA from the dealership. If it is, I'll just JB Weld a piece of metal up there, but I imagine it'll click pretty loud everytime I press down the pedal.

shouldn't be to hard to get at the dealer because i think several other cars use the same one.

RDM_II
05-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Jacob, I've lost a little faith in your intelligence over this one. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

_Def_
05-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Jacob, I've lost a little faith in your intelligence over this one. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me too. I was about 5 mins from getting under the car and pulling the starter then taking it apart.

Good thing the beer came to the rescue, since the last thing I need is more time messing with a transmission. I've been cursing German's lately with trying to do the clutch and other little things on my E36 M3. Talk about a total PITA. Makes me completely appreciate Nissan's (usually) better engineering and thought for service after it leaves the factory.

Now to try to get my ghetro '95 Altima tape deck to work in my car, it's been without a stereo for about half a year now. I figure I'm not missing much with the two front blown speakers, but it's gotten annoying. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW - the gas tank worked great, and that tar crap they put on it takes LOTS of scrubbing to get out of your hair! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/shocked.gif