PDA

View Full Version : Any good tutorials for DOHC timing chain repair?

Amolao
05-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes, tried Searching and looking at the FSM, very vague info, and yes I did the chain swap on my SOHC, but the DOHC seems a little more complex with the two chains, any tutorials out there or step by step instructions?? Only looking for information from fellow group members that can save me some time in the operation....

thanks

orion
05-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Set motor to TDC...

Remove old, nasty, oily chain...

Align the gold/silver links with the dots on the idler and cam pulleys...

Turn over by hand, make sure valves don't meet pistons...and listen for compression noises.

Set timing, drive happy!

Seriously.

With the whole front cvoer off, and a clean chain/pulley...it's quite easy. Don't be scared...if you did it on SOHC, DOHC is no harder.

Good luck with it.

- Brian

rogoman
05-23-2005, 07:07 PM
yes I did the chain swap on my SOHC, but the DOHC seems a little more complex with the two chains, any tutorials out there or step by step instructions??

If you've done SOHC timing chains, the DOHC just has an extra chain. Set the #1 piston at TDC compression stroke and make sure the block pointer is pointing to the '0' mark on the crankshaft front pulley. Now look at the lower timing chain for the chain mating (silver) mark which should be at the crankshaft sprocket gear mark. The top end of the timing chain mating (silver) mark should be at the large idler sprocket gear mark. The upper timing chain mating (gold) mark should be at the small idler sprocket gear mark. The other two chain mating marks should at their cam gear marks.