PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why?

Shift_Mike
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Ok, today i finished up putting my s13 redtop back together for the most part. We cranked it a couple times w/o the cas plugged in. Then we plugged it in and it fired up on the first try. We had one problem though. 5 seconds later we heard a pop and the car died. Pulled valve cover and the culprit is a snapped intake camshaft. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tear.gif

I just fully rebuilt this motor, and thank god this broke @ idle and not @ 7000rpm or somthing of that nature. So all i have to do is replace the cam, but im trying to find out why this broke. JWT guys told me it was torque, i know its not this because i put them in and i followed there specs.

One thing that does come to mind though that you guys might know is this though. My slack side of the timing chain (the curved side with tensioner) its stiff even after i took out the tensioner. When we put it together we put in the guide, then the tensioner and then tightened them down. So it held the guide out this way, because when we tighted it the first time there was way too much slack in the chain. All you guys out there, is there slack in your chain or not? This may sound retarded but did I install my slack side guide wrong? My chain was always tight and the slack side never really moved because we tighted it down after we put the tensioner in.

I'm just trying to figure out what I did wrong here. Had to be somthing along these lines i think.

enjuku is sending me stock cams right now, im going to put those back in when i get them and see if there is still a problem.

Enthalpy
05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Your slack side guide should be free to pivot on the bolt. if it is not then you have a problem.

Shift_Mike
05-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Ok im going to head over to the shop now then and change this fl_lck up.

Do you guys think this is what caused my cam to snap?