PDA

View Full Version : KA24de timing control

DeatschWerks_Dave
05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
I just finished reading Ben Strader's EFI tuning book. BTW - it was a good read for some intro EFI tuning info. He gives basic overviews of many engine systems such as ignition. He compared distributor systems to coilpack systems and stated that with distributor systems, only RPM dictates ignition advance.

I don't deal with KA's very much but I have a couple of KAT friends that are wanting me to do some ROM tuning for them. So I know that the KA ECU controls timing just like the SR ECU (load and RPM).

Whats the deal? Was Mr. Strader oversimplifying things to make a point? Am I lacking a basic understanding? Exactly how does the KA ECU control timing using a distributor system??

questions, questions, questions..

orion
05-31-2005, 12:47 PM
KA ECU is just like the SR...uses load and RPM to determine advance.

Ignores the knock sensor above a certain RPM, etc...

Hope that helps - Brian

insndrvr
05-31-2005, 06:41 PM
If you pull the cap and look at the rotor, you will notice that the rotor blade is very wide. A lot wider than say an old VW beetle. The difference is the VW beetle coil was always creating spark, when the rotor lined up with the contacts in the cap, boom, you have spark. If this was true with the KA, the spark would last a very long duration, so with this large amount of overlap, the ECU get's to decide when the spark happens in the period of overlap.

So yes, I believe he was oversimplifying things.

DeatschWerks_Dave
06-02-2005, 12:26 AM
So yes, I believe he was oversimplifying things.

I got a reply on the efi forums. I guess he was comparing carb/dizzy systems to EFI/coilpack systems. So it all makes sense now.