PDA

View Full Version : greddy mss not turning on fans, questions...

cdn_w_sr20
05-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Ok finally got around to installing my greddy MSS today, for the most part was really easy and the unit is sweet as heck.

Ok i wired it up using two separate relays (1 per fan as i'm using dual FALs). Now I read a previous post where it says to connect the green and yellow trigger wires to the ground on the relays, is this the correct way of doing it?

I ask because i get the unit to turn on, i have it calibrated next to perfect, i have it set for turning fans on at 83 and off at 79. When the temp reads 83 it shows 1 and 2 blinking but won't turn the fans on.

So I guess the question is and this is so stupid but the relay has a wire which is which which is supposed to be for a power switch should the two trigger wires be wired to those instead??? Any ideas???

FYI this unit rocks!

R_SAN_NI
05-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Are you using the Greddy Relays? I can send you pics of how my big single fan is set up and you can just duplicate it if you want. Just let me know.

cdn_w_sr20
05-29-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm using these relay kits i picked up at an auto performance store. Here is my question.

The instructions on the kit show it to be wired like this.

Yellow - + Battery
Blue - + fan
black - ground
white - + switch or control.
Red - not used.

I have it wired like this right now.

Yellow - + Battery
Blue - + fan
black - Trigger On MSS
white - not used.
Red - not used.

So my question here is if i wire the white wire to say a +12v ignition source will this all work or do i need to ground the relay properly and hook the greddy mss trigger wires to the white switch wire???

robbbby
05-29-2005, 11:20 AM
You have to have something on both the black and white. You need a + on one side and a - on the other. This will open the coil and allow higher amperage to flow through the blue/yellow. You have to find out if the trigger from the MSS is a +12V or if it pulses a ground. If it triggers with +12V, ground the other side. If the MSS pulses ground just hook up the other sied to a 12V ignition source.
Polarity does not matter on the b/w wires, it just need a few milliamps to keep the coil open.

cdn_w_sr20
05-29-2005, 11:31 AM
that is what i figured just didn't want to mess around with it last night as it was already getting late. I will say this though, it is extremely easy to calibrate and is a pretty sweet unit for the price tag.

Big_Bronze_Rim
05-29-2005, 10:19 PM
MSS Install (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB27&Number=67946040&Foru m=All_Forums&Words=greddy%20mss&Match=Entire%20Phr ase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=679380 02&Search=true#Post67946002)
The yellow and green wires are switched grounds and they need to be hooked up to the ground on the relay coil, pin 85 IIRC. Just ground the MSS unit with the black wire and connect switched power to the other side of the relay coil.

cdn_w_sr20
05-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Trust me i was reading that before i installed it lol. Turned out the ground wire to the fans had come loose itself somehow. I have the unit working now, but what is the best setting to put it on.

The issue i seem to have is that at night time it literally wont warm up lol. I mean it hovers between 72 and maybe 83.

Also what is the highest temp we should see it reaching? I'm assuming around 90 to 93 degrees or something around there.

Big_Bronze_Rim
05-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I now have fan 1 to turn on at 85 and fan 2 to turn on at 88. I have them both turn off at 78. While the engine coolant temp is a bit lower than indicated on the MSS, these values have worked well for me.

cdn_w_sr20
05-30-2005, 10:46 AM
what is the highest value you've seen on the mss in degrees celcius?? Mine has went as high as 91 before going down, is that normal you think lol.

cdn_w_sr20
05-30-2005, 06:58 PM
So I was driving today and the temp reading on the MSS read as high as 94.1 C. I'm not sure if that is normal or not or if its getting a little high.

I'm assuming the tiny ground wire from the MSS unit is enough to provide the proper kind of power required for the fans to operate at 100%???

BlackBomber
05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
So I was driving today and the temp reading on the MSS read as high as 94.1 C. I'm not sure if that is normal or not or if its getting a little high.

I'm assuming the tiny ground wire from the MSS unit is enough to provide the proper kind of power required for the fans to operate at 100%???

my friend, that is a little high for my liking. the most i've seen my get here is about 87 degrees celsius and that was with 34.4 degree ambient temperature.

cdn_w_sr20
05-30-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm begining to wonder if i picked the right calibration for the sensor, i'm pretty sure i picked the number S2 one but with that unit its hard to tell. the 94 happened in stop and go traffic using i think 40/60 or 50/50 mix. I'm going to add some water wetter and then install my nismo thermostat.

Last night i couldn't even get the temp to 80 degrees since it was so damn cool outside. today it was really hot and while stuck in traffic it would go upto 94 on the MSS then start to go down. At 94 degrees it was bang in the middle on the stock gauge. i think its time to hook the defi gauge up...

cdn_w_sr20
05-30-2005, 11:31 PM
uhmmm do you think the stock heatshield not being there could cause some problems, aka heatshield for turbo manifold. the iron tends to give off a tonne of heat afterall...

Big_Bronze_Rim
05-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Nah, I dont think the heat shield will make too much of a difference. Ive never run one and had no cooling issues beacause of it.

duncan351
05-31-2005, 12:17 AM
cdn_w_sr20 I have the same fans as you and I'm rewiring my harness and electric fans too because they didn't move enough air. 94c is normal when it hot outside and in traffic. I'm running bigger gauge wire and soldering everything. I was using the connectors from Walmart but wires kept getting hot. I learn those connectors at the parts stores are only designed for 10amp draws. You're easily pulling close to 30amps at times.

cdn_w_sr20
05-31-2005, 12:47 AM
From what I hear, the S2 sensor is 2.5 degree or so higher than the stock temp which means the rough temp was more like 91.6. That would put the operating temp at aorund 194.92 F. I think part of the problem here is airflow during cruising, very little. I have a 180sx type X front bumper with the RSPL greddy intercooler. I sat there looking at it and the intercooler literally takes everything up in the limited spacing. I'll be putting my cooling panel back on tomorrow combined with some water wetter.

On a side note, does anybody know how easily one can paint the renova cooling panel's for the 180sx version. They are supposedly made of kevlar with a carbon fibre look. I was thinking of having it painted the same color as my car, bmw m5 imola red, i think it would look pretty sweet like that.

cdn_w_sr20
05-31-2005, 12:50 AM
Also i have the fans connected to the battery using 12ga wiring and everything is all soldered. 12 gauge going to the fans and what not, they are going at the same speed as normal. The thing i'm looking at is the stock temp gauge is still where it always has been, right in the middle. If it were going past that i think i'd be getting concerned, kinda makes sense right.

BlackBomber
05-31-2005, 05:41 AM
Also i have the fans connected to the battery using 12ga wiring and everything is all soldered. 12 gauge going to the fans and what not, they are going at the same speed as normal. The thing i'm looking at is the stock temp gauge is still where it always has been, right in the middle. If it were going past that i think i'd be getting concerned, kinda makes sense right.

i was experiencing similar issues with my koyo, it was getting warm. I think the restriction in airflow of the koyo was hurting me (high fin count). Are you running the under tray that seals off hte bottom of th nose? I'm running a cooling panel as well.

duncan351
05-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Air flow is definetly the problem. Its the main problem even on an S14. I too have the cooling panel and plastic under engine cover on my car. I've considered going to a SPAL fan. Its my understanding they move alot more air than the FALs.

cdn_w_sr20
05-31-2005, 09:28 AM
I was looking at this yesterday actually. The 180sx type X bumper looks really nice but the opening where it goes into the intercooler is 100% stuffed with the intercooler all around. the airflow to the rad is not exactly impressive. I'll be sticking my cooling panel back on today along with putting some water wetter in the cooling system.

I know it is bled proper and if it does not work i'll be going to something like a 30/70 mix. I had no cooling issues prior to changing the bumper before the car was painted. Actually for the record, the clutch fan may look and sound like ASS but damn does it do a good job lol.

cdn_w_sr20
05-31-2005, 11:15 AM
i put the cooling panel back on and added 1 bottle of water wetter. When you let the engine idle, it will go up to 85 degrees then the fans kick on and it goes down to around 78-79 or so which is when they kick off. The issue is when i'm driving around and then stop for a bit the temp will rise to around 88 to 91 or so. I'm beginning to think that my thermostat is not opening at 76.5 degrees, it seems like its opening up much later sometimes.

Would the nismo thermostat be a huge help or does it just provide more heat soak after a while?

Big_Bronze_Rim
05-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Im not sure if the Nismo thermo would help if everything else is in order. With my Nismo t-stat, it takes the car forever to warm up. Sometimes itll take 15-20 minutes of freeway driving. Its possible that your thermo is sticking a bit. I think your on the right track though with trying to duct stuff and control the airflow. It makes a huge difference, especially when the car is moving. With the slight error in the MSS temp display, your temps are a tad high but still dont seem too bad, though. Get your defi gauge hooked up and see what your temps are exactly.

japslapsilvia
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
my mss is currently reads only about 85~90 degrees F....and i have my fan on at 100 and off at 90 degrees F. and it seems to work correctly...unless i am overcoling the motor...also my stock temp gauge is messed up after the install...does anyone else have a prob with stock temp gauge after they installed mss? it seems to go to normal opperating temp when i start the car...also when key is in ign turned on/acc the needle moves up a bit and tends to flutter when i press the brake pedal...wtf!!!!...other than that the mss is beautifil
btw the reason that i have the temp so low is that when i intially installed the mss...driving around the water temp barley got to 90 degrees F. when at a stop and once i drove it the temp would drop to like 85ish so the way i have it set up the (temp wise) the fans barley come on at all.

Big_Bronze_Rim
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
my mss is currently reads only about 85~90 degrees F....and i have my fan on at 100 and off at 90 degrees F
You do realize that the MSS display reads in degrees C?

japslapsilvia
06-29-2006, 06:54 PM
yea but you can change the output reading...i have changed it to degrees F. the reason that it was soo low is b/c i had it tapped to the wrong sensor, i tapped the gauge which puts out like 70-90 ohms @ 140 degrees F and the ecu sensor puts out .30-.33 ohms @ 176 degrees F...thats why it was reading so low...but i have fixed the problem and unit is working great

350zAND240sx
07-02-2006, 11:29 AM
man, i have a koyo, s14 w/ s15 SR20det, stock bumper, fmic, nismo thermostat, 2 12" fals w/ a $35 radiator probe relay...

my car never gets close to over heating. when driving i can see the stock temp gauge drop...even in 90% humidity at 90 degrees outside....i'd make sure that your cooling system is properly bleed and your thermostat is working properly.

the koyo is a huge heatsink for coolant and is really efficient. but if you're cooling system isn't bleed right or your thermostat is bunk...it will not work the way it's supposed to