PDA

View Full Version : Insurance car rating question

MarvynDT
01-13-2002, 05:27 PM
Being that the 97+ 240SX SE is a sports coupe, how is it defined insurance wise? Is it defined as a performance car, thus higher insurance. I live in NJ and chances are my insurance will be high no matter what car I drive.

I currently own an Acura Integra Type R, but because it has earned a repuation as a high theft risk and labeled as a performance model, my insurance has become too high. Thus I am forced to sell it. I really want to get out of the Honda scene. Too much theft.

If there are any NJ owners in here, if you could be so kind as to share how much your policy is and what type of coverage. I would just like to have an idea before I make a firm consideration a 97+ 240SX and start shopping for insurance rates on cars that I am interested in. Thank in advance.

MaxType 240
01-13-2002, 06:28 PM
Have you considered obtaining online quotes from companies like Progressive, Geico, & others? That's the 1st thing that comes to mind...

MarvynDT
01-13-2002, 06:43 PM
All those companies do not offer auto coverage in the state of NJ. Or at least they are not allowed to quote online at this time.

Would anybody happen to know what the 95+ 240SX SE is classified as?

AKADriver
01-13-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm not from Jersey, but I opted out of buying a '96 240SX SE for a daily because the rates were too high... about $500 more a year than the (faster) '96 VW GTI VR6 I ended up buying. I don't believe they're actually classed as "performance" cars, my 1986 200SX isn't, my GTI isn't. I think they're just rated a slightly greater risk for some reason.

240Lunatic
01-13-2002, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure about the 240sx being classified as a performance car, my insurance company (USAA) sees it as a sporty economy car, mainly because of comparing it to the 300ZX. This of course is one of the reasons I like the car, unsuspecting of how fast it can be. For comparison, my old 1989 Oldsmobile family sedan was only $150 every 6 months to insure than a '95.

Sean

**DONOTDELETE**
01-13-2002, 10:08 PM
i'm not from jersey but my insurance company charges me about 25% more for my 97 240sx se than they did for my honda accord. the fact that it's rear wheel drive is what gets ya

twofortysx
01-13-2002, 10:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by battle demon:
i'm not from jersey but my insurance company charges me about 25% more for my 97 240sx se than they did for my honda accord. the fact that it's rear wheel drive is what gets ya<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're correct. My insurance company (21st Century) considers it a 'high risk auto". They consider it this because of the FR layout.

Most people don't know how to handle rear drive and tend to wreck them more often. My insurance for an Acura Integra GS-R would have been lower than the 240 is. (I never owned a GS-R -- just got qoutes as I thought of buying one.)

**DONOTDELETE**
01-14-2002, 08:32 AM
Interestingly, a local member was shopping for an S14 and was almost set to buy a 96 S14. He got insurance quotes and all. Suddenly a killer deal 97 S14 came out of the blue and he sprung for that instead. It turns out that the insurance for the 97 was actually LOWER than the 96. The best we can come up with is because there were fewer 97's made, less were crashed/stolen.

- Ed.

omega
01-14-2002, 09:00 AM
My insurance (from USAA) was the same for my 91 300zx twinturbo and for my 96 240sx SE. I talked for a while with them, and they basically told me that both were a liability to my health in a car crash, so it doesn't matter if one has twice the HP as the other. Its a two door sporty car any way you cut it. I'm 20, with a spotless record -1200$ a year.

Rcs476
01-14-2002, 09:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by battle demon:
i'm not from jersey but my insurance company charges me about 25% more for my 97 240sx se than they did for my honda accord. the fact that it's rear wheel drive is what gets ya<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not necessarily the RWD layout, but it is also the cost of body panels. Being that the body style was only made for two years, there are no compatible parts for the front end. Honda for example, the 92-95 has 4 years worth of manufacturing of body panels, more aftermarket body panels too.
I was also bothered with my insurance price so I called my company (Progressive) and asked about it, turns out, collision cost rating is I think "Level 10" out of 12(or 8 out of 10). 12 being the most expensive. That is where your high cost comes from.

b18c1-ek
01-14-2002, 09:09 AM
What's up Marvyn.... I'm paying about $750 for a six month liability policy on a 1997 SE, or $1500 per year. I have the lowest coverage available, $25K property/$25K personal injury. I am currently with Prudential, and have 2 points. BTW, how much are you selling the ITR for? As I recall, you sold your turbo Si and got a good deal on this... too bad it has to go. Good luck!

Rcs476
01-14-2002, 09:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heinekenns:
I'm 20, with a spotless record -1200$ a year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky lucky, I hate you. I wished I lived outside of NY. I am paying 4K a year (full coverage), I do have two tickets and I am 25.
Plus they are talking about raising the insurance again in NY. ARRGGGHH@*^%)!*^%)$*!%#!@#%!$#%$#!

MaxType 240
01-14-2002, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR> Would anybody happen to know what the 95+ 240SX SE is classified as <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

USAA labels it as a Sports Coupe - with a spotless record & discounts, I pay $1,066 per year...

gmgS14
01-14-2002, 09:42 AM
I just got a 95 240 and from what my insurance agent told me, it's considered as the same class as the 300zx. I'm 20 and I pay 4K a year for insurance with 2 points. It's so bad my friend pays about half as much as that for insurance on his '95 RX-7 TT. I just don't understand.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-14-2002, 10:28 AM
my insurance company considers my '93 a sports coupe and i pay 2500 (canadian) for full coverage... 22 and no points/tickets... might not help any, but for comparisons sake...

MarvynDT
01-14-2002, 11:49 AM
OMG! $4000 for insurance is not worth it for any car sub-$25000 car. That's the situation I am in with the ITR, although I do not have any points or violations.

b18c1-ek : Have me met before? Yes, I was looking to unload my Si as insurance reached $3500 (NJ insurance increase). The ITR came at such a good deal and I was initially quoted at $2200 for full coverage. Several months later, Liberty Mutual reports to me that I the true premium on the car is $4400. Same scenario happened again with Greater American after I dropped Liberty Mutual.

I called NJ Cure and they quoted me at $2790 for full coverage on a 98 240SX SE. I could probably find a lower premium in the lower end of 2K hopefully. But I really do not want to pay so much in insurance. Now I am not even sure about the S13. I could probably buy one outright, but just as somebody said, its classified as a sports car.

This may be a stretch, but if anybody is interested in buying my 1998 Acura Integra Type R, please follow the link below.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #551 for sale! (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=112206)

b18c1-ek
01-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Marvyn:
I bought your del sol seats... and have a B20VTEC turbo Civic hatch. My insurance agent seems to be pretty fair as far as rates, since I sold him a car, plus I refer alot of my customers to him. I'm not certain, but he may be able to cut you a decent rate. I'm not sure if it's within his control, but I'll ask. Email me for details. I've picked up a 97 SE last week, and it is just as fun as an Si or 'teg. Only thing lacking is power and brakes- but that can be easily rectified http://www.freshalloy.com/

MarvynDT
01-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Tony - Did not recognize the username. Last time we spoke, were you not planning on using a b18c1 block? I am not even sure if I would keep the car if I could find a decent insurance premium. I am at the point where I cannot take the car anywhere anymore. There were 7 ITR thefts posted on Honda-Tech last week, and 3-4 of them where from the NJ/NY area.

Geez, I had some guy follow me home. I then decided to drive around as to not to let this guy follow me. He began flashing me and we pulled over. He began to ask me where I get my car work done since he too owns a black ITR. Suprisingly, my car looks stock. I don't know. Paranioa maybe. This has to be a major downside in owning a nice Honda. Thus my desire to switch over to anything non-Honda.

I'm still gathering information on the S13 and S14 along with a few other cars. But I think the S14 is a bit out of the question with the amount needed to insure in NJ.

So the 240sx is lacking in power huh? I suppose that may be the case in comparison to a turbo Civic.

b18c1-ek
01-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Marvyn, it's hard to beat a 240SX as far as fun and performance per dollar value. I've researched extensively, and in the past year, I've went through a 1994 Talon Tsi AWD, 1990 Civic Si, 1990 CRX Si, and prior to all those, a "stage 3" 1990 300ZX TT. I'd have to say that the S14 is keeping me the most satisfied so far, since it is a very happy medium of all the things I am looking for in a car. The upgradability of it was a consideration as well, since I tend to do that a lot. http://www.freshalloy.com/ What other cars were you considering? A used WRX might not be a bad idea.....

Yes, the unfortunate downfall of the USDM S14 is its lack of power, but there are lots of solutions for that. A custom turbo kit might not be out of the question for the future, since the engine seems to be stout enough. Also, unlike Honda swaps, SR swaps are much more affordable; almost half the price, so that may be yet another option. There is also talk about RB, VG, 2JZ, and V8 swaps as well... so the possibilities are almost endless. I can assuredly say that you won't regret purchasing a S13 or S14.

My Civic is still in the building phase due to delays from various machine shops' and their poor scheduling. It will be completed for this racing season and it will become my daily driver as well. For now, daily driving duties fall upon the S14... you will never hear a complaint from me.

MarvynDT
01-15-2002, 02:11 AM
There are a few cars on my list. Right now it stands like this based upon my criteria.

91-94 Nissan 240SX
PROS:<LI>sub-$4000 price
<LI>relatively easier to find
<LI>Reltively cheaper cost of ownership will allow extra funds to mod car.
CONS:<LI>11-8 year old car
<LI>It may become plagued with rust in the near future as it continues to age.
<LI>View by some insurance companies as a sports car, which may lead to high insurance.
<LI>I do not like the pop-up headlight styling on this car. Prefer JDM S13 fixed headlights.

85-87 Toyota Corolla GTS
PROS:<LI>sub-$3000 car
<LI>cheap parts
<LI>cheapest car to insure on my list
<LI>extra funds will allow me to mod car
<LI>easy to mod
CONS:<LI>17-15 year old car
<LI>difficult to find in good condition
<LI>Most AE86's are plagued with some sort of rust

97-98 Nissan 240SX SE
PROS:<LI>modern styling
<LI>nice interior