PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! 90 SOHC

GhostFace
05-30-2005, 11:17 PM
ok theres white smoke comming out of the exhuast and its puking [censored] out of it too and its the same color as the coolant (a dirty rust colored yellow/brown)

did a leakdown test and all cylinders are 10-15% on a warm motor

and now (right after the test) theres ALOT of rattling from the head i think? sounds like the valves are off ....is it possible the pressure from the compressor could have made the timing chain skip a tooth?

and where is the timing mark on the lower pulley and which angle is easiest to see it at?

pls help, this is my daily driver, need to get it working properly soon

rogoman
05-31-2005, 07:19 AM
Are you losing coolant at a high rate; if so, then it's most likely that the motor has a blown head gasket. Run a compression test on all cylinders.

A leakdown percentage of 10% to 15% is rather high. Normally you should see no more then 5% leakage. 3 to 4% is ideal. Anything greater then 8% generally means badly worn rings or maybe leaking valves.

If you're getting a lot of rattling from the top front of the motor all of a sudden, there's a good chance that either the chain guide broke or there's not enough oil pressure for the chain tensioner.

Running a leakdown test has no detrimental effect on the timing chain assembly.

The ignition timing marks are located on the back pulley blade as notches.

insndrvr
05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
When your doing the leakdown test, try to figure out where the air is going. Bubbles in the coolant means blown headgasket. Air out the valve cover, bad rings, air leaking into the exhaust our intake, bad valves. How many miles are on your engine? Doesn't sound very good from what you have described so far, but you are in luck, these motors are cheap.

GhostFace
06-01-2005, 06:23 AM
well, me and my friend used an auto stethoscope and found that 2 fuel injectors were making the rattling sound (for some reason its extremely audible with or without the stethoscope)

it was much more of a high pitch ticking sound than the other 2 injectors

does that sound about right, about the rattling sound?