PDA

View Full Version : which pistons? JE vs CP vs Weisco

bigburt187
06-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I was just wondering what people like best. I've heard from a couple people that they like the CP's, weisco is cheapest and JE is more expensive than CP by like $30. I've also heard of people having problems with weisco on some VW 1.8t's, but then again thats a worthless VW http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRENITY
06-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Never seen the JE's but have never heard bad things.
Have CP's in my car, Excellent quality would recommend.
Friend has Weisco's in his DSM wasn't really impressed with them.

Big_Bronze_Rim
06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm going with CP pistons on my current rebuild. From everything I have read they seem to be the best choice. Wiseco would probably be second and then JE. I have also read of some peoples issues with the JE and the need to run more clearance due to a larger thermal expansion. Dont know if this is an accurate statement or not, though.

TS4l
06-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I am happy with my CP's, I only have 500 miles on them though, but comparing them to my old Ross pistons the CP's seem a lot quiter because they allow smaller clearences. No complaints so far!

Vapor
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
i have a lot of experience with all 3. I'll rank them in order of preference

1) CP - Most precise tolerances, great ring land designs
2) Wiseco - similar to CP, tends to be heavier, good for strength, bad for high rpm power.
3) JE (a very distant third) - this company is mostly living off it's rep for V8 pistons years ago. Their machining tolerances are not held as tightly as wiseco or cp. Not sure about SR20, but they could not make a piston for a B series honda that did not burn near the valve relief.

Now, when I say tolerance, I mean the size of piston in relation to each other. CP's are so close to each other that it is nearly not measurable, same with Wiseco's although to a lesser degree. The JE's tend to be very far off from slug to slug, so much so that if you want to get proper piston to wall clearance, you must assign a piston to a bore, and make adjustments to the piston/wall clearance for each hole. CP and Wiseco, this step is optional. Of course, Je's nearly always require balancing as well, where as the others do not. This is strange, as Wiseco is owned by JE. I find it very odd that their products could be so different.

a2low240
06-01-2005, 11:25 PM
I have built motors with all 3 and CP is the way to go. Weisco was having a few clearance issues with the oil squirters, JE had problems with detonation resistance.

All the motors were Sr20's.

cwdmark
06-02-2005, 07:57 AM
it is decided: CP

bigburt187
06-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah my buddy got the JE's for his VW 1.8t and since thats what he got he automatically thinks theres nothing better. Typical vw owner. CP's all the way huh, cool they're cheaper then JE as well. Thanks for the input guys!

TS4l
06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Get the CP's then go smoke your buddy! See how he likes them then, ha ha!

dryft_s15
06-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Just got a set of CP SC7325 9:1 slugs. They come very highly rated.

http://www.williams.co.tt/s15/post/sc7325.jpg

faljukin
06-03-2005, 10:47 AM
How do arias pistons compare to the others?

asad
06-03-2005, 11:13 AM
What I wanna know is...are there any companies out there that make pistons specifically designed to work with the combustion chamber geometry of the SR and KA, or are they all these "generic" designs?

Asad

SRENITY
06-03-2005, 12:48 PM
When I bought my CP's I was thinking about going crazy and running a 90mm bore with darton sleeves. During my research phase of this process I spoke with Race Engineering. They told me that for an extra charge ($100-$200) they could have CP custom make the piston with any features I wanted (domed,valve relieves, coated, bore specific, ect). If anyone is willing to shell out the cash you could have a set of CP's made that are designed for the combustion chamber design.

asad
06-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Ah, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Asad

TS4l
06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I think most companies will do that, when I built my old honda they didn't make the piston I wanted so I sent them a stock one and they machined the new piston top to match. That was Ross pistons, but I think a lot of companies can do that, for an extra fee of course.