PDA

View Full Version : 510/280Z big brake upgrade question

J_Rho
06-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey guys,
I've got a 510 that I'm building up for track/autocross purposes, an SR20DET is in the works, along with some big wheels/tires.
I've already got the ubiquitous 280Z front struts and brakes with good pads and fluid, along with an upgraded suspension. Still, I think I'd like to go even bigger with the front brakes, and lighter if possible - those stock brakes are HEAVY!

Does anybody (Baer, Wilwood, Brembo, etc.) make a bolt-on or near-bolt-on kit for this application? I know that you can do just about anything with a catalog and some custom bracketry, but I'd like to minimize the fabrication element as much as possible.

Thanks! http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Five10PacksDE
06-02-2005, 08:47 PM
for the rears, I would go with aaron Suchy's brackets http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB28&Number=67956873&page =0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

For the fronts I would go witha 280zx setup,possibley shortened even more witha VW insert. I would usea 300zx hub, wider, and fabricate a bracket for willwood 4 piston calipers to fit that. You could do it with the 280zx hub too, but while you are fabricating a bracket anyways, I would go for the 3z hubs. The 280zx struts actually make your front track width not as wide as with a stock 510 strut

Damn those struts are heavy!! I saw http://www.datrats.com.au/BRAKES.html

Anyone know how they cut the weight? Do they use alluminum casings for the strut? Any9one know

SmokinSpecV
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
I would say, primarily the smaller diameter springs would cut a lot of weight, but being mostly sprung weight, handling benefits may be overstated. The majority of unsprung weight in strut type suspensions are in the brake rotor/caliper combination (100%), lower control arms (~50%), and wheel/tire combination (100%). Aluminum rotor hats and calipers are most likely the most significant unsprung weight saving. Lightweight rims are the #1 unsprung weight reduction mod. Aluminum strut casings would contribute, but as the wall is already pretty thin in a steel bodied strut, the aluminum wall wouldn't save nearly the same weight that an aluminum lower control arm or forged wheel would.

J_Rho
06-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Yep, I've already got the full Ground Control coilover sleeves with 2.5" springs, SPSS-valved Koni, and camber/caster plates.

I found this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=88433&item=5586249 840&rd=1
But it appears to keep the stock hats, so the overall weight will probably be high, and the rotor diameter is still pretty small. Still, not having to custom fab anything appeals, maybe I'll do that in combination with the Wilwood rears posted above.

Does anybody make adjustable lower control arms for the 510? I already have the adjustable Techno Toy Tuning T/C rods, would like something similar for the LCAs.

Five10PacksDE
06-07-2005, 01:53 AM
ohhh. I didn't know the weight they were comparing was with the wheels. Duhhh. IC now

JZR510, for that kit you got was pretty cool, but it was a little pricey. The picture was off though too. The braket they show you is for the rear disc brake bracket, not the one coming with your front kit. Do they say what size rotor they are using?

compression
06-17-2005, 09:18 AM
The kit on ebay is interesting.
From what I can tell, it uses the stock 280zx rotors, they just give you new ones (which you can buy at any parts store for pretty cheap).
It looks liek that is the correct picture. I am assuming they are moungint the bracket to the holes that held the dust shield...intersting. Would you want your front caliper held in place with holes originally designed to hold a flimsy piece of sheet metal?
Order Volume 5 issue 3 of the dimequarterly newsletter. There is a good article in there that shows how to do a wilwood front conversion on 280zx struts, and it uses different hubs from a 85 300zx, these widen your front track width to what it should be.

Five10PacksDE
06-21-2005, 04:08 AM
Order Volume 5 issue 3 of the dimequarterly newsletter. There is a good article in there that shows how to do a wilwood front conversion on 280zx struts, and it uses different hubs from a 85 300zx, these widen your front track width to what it should be.

Yes, please let me kow if anyone wants the 300zx 4 or 5 lug hubs, I was planning on doing this conversion, but I need money tp pay off a ticket.

datsunfreak
07-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Does anybody make adjustable lower control arms for the 510? I already have the adjustable Techno Toy Tuning T/C rods, would like something similar for the LCAs.

Several companies do. I believe Dave Turner Motorsports, and Troy Ermish Racing make adjustable LCAs.

quikdime
12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Jason I am running 16 x 7 +35 Watanabe wheels in the front & 16 x 8 +35 in the rear of my 510. Not flared. I have 4 piston Brembo calipers with 13 inch Stoptech rotors in front & Wilwood dynalite calipers in rear. I have an sr20det for the motor.

junkyardcustoms
01-05-2006, 02:47 AM
hey guys i am new to the 510 world and i just bought one and am putting in ka. please could yall explain more about the brakes like what is a vw insert. if i understand it right use a 280z strut a 300z hub. does the 300 come 4 lug. but at the same time why not buy the bolt in upgrades for the 510. if i use the 280z strut, is it easier to lower. anyhelp yall could give to the rooke would be appreciated

Five10PacksDE
01-05-2006, 02:19 PM
ok ok, there are a lot of struts and brakes that coule b used. Almost all the Z cars, 200sx, or 280zx. To get things straight, it is not a 280z strut and a 280zx hub, or else u would need a custom caliper bracket made. The commone setup is a 280zx front strut with a the 10" vented rotors and a bigger single piston sliding caliper. need the strut hub, and brakes off the 280zx, not hte spring or spring perch. To use VW strut inserts on any of the above mentioned struts, you need to cut the strut tube shorter to allow the insert ot fit. This is for very low cars, the 280zx strut is already 1" shorter than a stock 510. I guess it depends on how low you wanna drop your car. The only drawback to a 280zx strut and hub is that your track width is not as wide, and your camber might b differnt vs the stock 510 struts. A lot of poeple use the 200sx struts, but there are a couple generations u can use off a 200sx, the best choice being very rare at this day in age. I believe it was like a 1981 200sx or soemthing, although 1984+ can be used too, but I don't think those are the same as the 1981 chasis struts. Sorry, lot of blabbling. let us know if u need anyhting explained further

Five10PacksDE
01-05-2006, 02:20 PM
hey guys i am new to the 510 world and i just bought one and am putting in ka. please could yall explain more about the brakes like what is a vw insert. if i understand it right use a 280z strut a 300z hub. does the 300 come 4 lug. but at the same time why not buy the bolt in upgrades for the 510. if i use the 280z strut, is it easier to lower. anyhelp yall could give to the rooke would be appreciated

BTW, is the KA24 already in your car, or are you looking to buy a used one witha ka24de already in it? There are so many ways to get that engine in the car, but look out for ghetto fabed conversion kits.

TS4l
03-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Have you looked at Arizonazcar.com? I have heard good things about there brake kits and they make a lot of suspension parts too. I know people have used the brake kits on 240sx's and liked them. Just thought I would mention them.