PDA

View Full Version : Why does no one talk of Extraordinary Rendition?

Kookz
06-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Why is this something that is never talked about? Basically, the US doesn't torture people, it sends them to other countries to do it for them.

Here's a great article:
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050214fa_fact6

Basically, a Canadian engineer had worked with a terrorist suspect's brother. He was arrested in the US, put on a plane to Syria, and tortured and held for a year. He was only released when the Canadian Government got involved, and was charged with no crime.

So why hadn't I, and everybody else that I've spoken with, ever heard of this?

dempa
06-04-2005, 12:33 AM
cuz the gov wants it on the DL

BrianS
06-05-2005, 10:07 PM
what really disturbs me, is the complete *willing* ignorance that the vast majority of americans have tward these very topics

Irie_eyes
06-05-2005, 11:27 PM
It's those loopholes they look for. Like who is going to go to Syria and investigate outsourcing torture.

Project Echelon is an interesting one. Came across it in 1996. Since it's illegal for the US to spy on it's own citizens, let some other country do it for you while you spy on their country then exchange the info. You can tell the authorities, but what are they going to do since they are in on the deal.
The NSA run a large part of Echelon. The NSA (you know, the ones that actually have National Security in their title) has a budget larger than the FBI and CIA combined.

Dave562
06-06-2005, 01:17 AM
It's those loopholes they look for. Like who is going to go to Syria and investigate outsourcing torture.

Project Echelon is an interesting one. Came across it in 1996. Since it's illegal for the US to spy on it's own citizens, let some other country do it for you while you spy on their country then exchange the info. You can tell the authorities, but what are they going to do since they are in on the deal.
The NSA run a large part of Echelon. The NSA (you know, the ones that actually have National Security in their title) has a budget larger than the FBI and CIA combined.

The NSA employs some scary individuals. I knew a guy who used to work for the NSA. They are some of the most a-moral, do it at any cost individuals in the world.

armalite
06-06-2005, 04:03 AM
I hope we ship all al-queda to Pakistan to let them interrogate them.

M_TYPE_X
06-06-2005, 05:00 AM

The Democrats. They hate all outsourcing and want the US government to have the monopoly on torture. They were just pissed that they didn't call the shots at Abu Ghraib.

Irie_eyes
06-06-2005, 07:36 AM
i woulda said FOX news but they woulda just said "no torture here, everything is okay"

M_TYPE_X
06-06-2005, 08:00 AM
i woulda said FOX news but they woulda just said "no torture here, everything is okay"

Go inside please, everything is taken care of.
And tune into Hannity & Colmes @ 9!
"CABLE'S BEST PRIMETIME LINEUP"