PDA

View Full Version : SCC Silvia

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 12:24 AM
Well, it's ugly and it smells bad, but the Silvia is up and running. It took 2 SCC editors, one unemployed engineer and the almighty Ralph Kenyon two and a half days to turn Ralph's toothpaste green junkheap into my fast toothpaste green junkheap. Four hours after we started it for the first time, the heap was cruising at 100 mph down an isolated stretch of Highway 25. Not bad.
My story on the swap is due in a few days, so I'm trying to fill in a few holes in my knowledge. I'm going to drop questions in here over the next few days and hope some answers rise to the surface. Here are the first few:

1: Other than driving them or jacking them up and spinning the wheels, how do you identify cars with the viscous limited slip? I have heard that there is a label on the diff. True? Where is it? Are there different axles, or any other obvious visual clues? (for the record, the toothpaste car doesn't have one)
Also, how durable are the viscous couplings in the R200? The VLSD in the SE-R is absolute crap. Every SE-R I know of has a dead viscous coupling. I'm guessing that the beefy R200 didn't have this problem.

2: The single cam KA24 tach and the SR20 wiring harness don't seem to get along. The tach is completely dead. Anydboy know a: what the problem is, or b: what the solution is?

I'll have more questions soon, I'm sure. Thanks for the help.

-Dave Coleman

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 12:30 AM
Another question already:

We used a JDM radiator, but I understand you can use a U.S. radiator too. What hoses do you use with the U.S. radiator, and what do you do about the fan shroud?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 12:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>1: Other than driving them or jacking them up and spinning the wheels, how do you identify cars with the viscous limited slip? I have heard that there is a label on the diff. True? Where is it? Are there different axles, or any other obvious visual clues? (for the record, the toothpaste car doesn't have one)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 240's that came with VLSD had the HICAS suspension package. If the 240 has HICAS, it has VLSD.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR> 2: The single cam KA24 tach and the SR20 wiring harness don't seem to get along. The tach is completely dead. Anydboy know a: what the problem is, or b: what the solution is? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use a tach from a KA24DE powered 240. (91-98) It's a direct replacement and works normally. I hope this helps... rasta

Mav1178
01-15-2002, 12:32 AM
Solution for the tach problem is to get a DOHC gauge cluster out of a '91+ S13 with the small part of the dash harness that connects to the gauge cluster.

-alex

97 S14
01-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Most people just match up a radiator hose from a parts store with the correct bends in it and then cut the rest of the hose away. Also a lot of people run those universal hoses that bend in multiple directions. You have to ditch the fan shroud when using the US radiator with an SR because of the hose. Most people run electric fan(s) and still ditch the shroud.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Yes the R200 is plenty strong IIRC some 240z guys use them with V8 swaps.

Off topic a little bit, what ever happened to the Z scene articles?

mrmephistopheles
01-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Dave, since the car was a SOHC (89-90) it didn't have LSD. The only S13s to have LSD were the HICAS equipped KRMS13s as mentioned previously. There are, however, numerous sources for replacement LSDs from other cars like the Infiniti J30, Z32, etc. Of course, aftermarket LSDs like Kaaz, Cusco, Quaiffe, etc are also an option (though not a cheap one). For some of the swaps, new side shafts are required, but can be ordered through a Nissan Dealer or through Kaaz's NA distributor.

Kevin

edit:hmm were there coupes that had HICAS and LSD? I can only remember seeing those options on fastbacks.. I don't remember a KMS13.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: mrmephistopheles ]

Mav1178
01-15-2002, 01:09 AM
Only fastbacks in the U.S. had Super-HICAS as an optional package.

-alex

KenFuji
01-15-2002, 02:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Coleman:
Another question already:

We used a JDM radiator, but I understand you can use a U.S. radiator too. What hoses do you use with the U.S. radiator, and what do you do about the fan shroud?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dave i have a usdm radiator's top outlet re-welded to the driver side so i was able to keep the shroud intact with the fan clutch.. a much cleaner look and cheaper then getting an after market radiator.

HICAS cars has a pumpkin that looks like
this (click here) taken from PDM's site (http://www.pdm-racing.com/specials/imag/vlsd.jpg)

also it will have a orange sticker that says "viscious"

ken

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 07:53 AM
VLSD DETERMINATION:

1991, 1992, and 1993 only:
S-13 = RMLKS13FURH1
R = Fastback
M = KA24DE
L = Left Hand Drive
K = With Hicas (keyword here)
S13 = Car Model
F = 5 Speed or A = Automatic
U = Federal or V = California
R = Anti-Lock Brakes along with A/C and Sun Roof or C = A/C only or W = Sun Roof only
H1 = Pack Symbol (this one contains VLSD as part of a handling package)

Basically concern yourself w the 4th letter (K). If a (-) exists, it does not have HICAS.
If no HICAS, then no VLSD.

On the S-14, the 18th digit on the Firewall Tag are as follows:

1995:
A = VLSD
C = ABS, Manual A/C, and VLSD
E = Manual A/C, and VSLD
F = Manual A/C

1996:
A = VLSD
B = ABS, and Manual A/C

1997:
D = Model Year '96 (?)
F = ABS, Manual A/C, VLSD, and Model Year '96
(?)

If a (-) exists in the 18th digit, then none of these options exist.

-Royce

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: roycenagger ]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Dave,

1. The easiest way to check that I know to check if you have LSD is to just jack up the rear with both tires in the air, spin one wheel and if the other rear wheel spins in the same direction you've got LSD, if is spins in the opposite direction you do not have LSD.

2. For the tach you might want to try switching out speed sensors from the old tranny and putting it on the one you have now. Its held in by one 10mm bolt and looks like a small cylinder close to the read of the tranny. I read some where that this clears up this prob. but won't be able to know for shure until I'm done with my swap( hopefully this weekend.)

Hope this helps
infin89 http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 09:06 AM
I mean rear of tranny.

infin http://www.freshalloy.com/

oberkill
01-15-2002, 09:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>2. For the tach you might want to try switching out speed sensors from the old tranny and putting it on the one you have now. Its held in by one 10mm bolt and looks like a small cylinder close to the read of the tranny. I read some where that this clears up this prob. but won't be able to know for shure until I'm done with my swap( hopefully this weekend.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do need to switch out the speed sensor but all that does is make your speedometer read in MPH instead of KPH. The tach in the 89 and 90 is setup to work with a SOHC engine, since the SR is a DOHC engine it doesnt work. Any tach from a 91+ or a SR powered Silvia/180 will work fine just as several people above have said.

Alan

gforce240sx
01-15-2002, 09:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrmephistopheles:
For some of the swaps, new side shafts are required, but can be ordered through a Nissan Dealer or through Kaaz's NA distributor.

Kevin <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Nissan Motorsport, the right side flange is no longer available in the US (which is required for a non-turbo 300zx LSD conversion). It has to be special order from Japan, which will take anywhere from 2-3 months. You can go aftermarket Kazz, quaife, etc. I think those will use an open diff. shafts. A bit more expensive but you don't have to look/wait for the shafts to come in. Then again, you can go to LSD companies (kazz, quaife, cusco etc..) and say you're doing an article on LSD swap and have them "donate" one for testing http://www.freshalloy.com/

Danny.

ka24detkyle
01-15-2002, 09:27 AM
It is true that the VLSD does have a sticker on it that is Orange and reads VISCIOUS LSD.
You can see the sticker in the picture below, but can barely read the writing on the label.

http://home.nc.rr.com/turbo240sx/vlsd1.jpg

The VSLD that i have in my S13 came out of a Super Hicas car and the output shafts bolted up without any modifications. It was a perfect swap, but you will also need the Super Hicas drive shaft which is about an inch shorter than the non VLSD driveshafts. This is because the super Hicas VLSD has an ABS sensor that incorporated in the housing which extends the housing by about an inch, Hence the 1 inch shorter drive shaft. Other than that it's CAKE!!

When you asked "how durable are the viscous couplings in the R200", I will have to admit that i have NEVER heard of anybody breaking these units nor the VLSD units for that matter. For the power generated from the SR20DET your golden.

As for the radiator from what i've seen, people have used a 90 deg hose off the engine and connected that hose to a pipe which runs parallel with the radiator, then they add another 90 deg hose to connect it to the USDM radiator. If you have the JDM radiator then it's plug-n-play and if you get an all metal USDM radiator and flip the top then it will mimic the JDM radiator.

When you decide you want to do a write up on a Turbo KA check out my freshly finished project.

Turbo KA (http://home.nc.rr.com/turbo240sx) http://www.freshalloy.com/

Kyle Bennett http://www.freshalloy.com/

Steeles
01-15-2002, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ka24detkyle:
It is true that the VLSD does have a sticker on it that is Orange and reads VISCIOUS LSD.
You can see the sticker in the picture below, but can barely read the writing on the label.

http://www.freshalloy.com/

The VSLD that i have in my S13 came out of a Super Hicas car and the output shafts bolted up without any modifications. It was a perfect swap, but you will also need the Super Hicas drive shaft which is about an inch shorter than the non VLSD driveshafts. This is because the super Hicas VLSD has an ABS sensor that incorporated in the housing which extends the housing by about an inch, Hence the 1 inch shorter drive shaft. Other than that it's CAKE!!

When you asked "how durable are the viscous couplings in the R200", I will have to admit that i have NEVER heard of anybody breaking these units nor the VLSD units for that matter. For the power generated from the SR20DET your golden.

As for the radiator from what i've seen, people have used a 90 deg hose off the engine and connected that hose to a pipe which runs parallel with the radiator, then they add another 90 deg hose to connect it to the USDM radiator. If you have the JDM radiator then it's plug-n-play and if you get an all metal USDM radiator and flip the top then it will mimic the JDM radiator.

When you decide you want to do a write up on a Turbo KA check out my freshly finished project.

Turbo KA (http://home.nc.rr.com/turbo240sx) http://www.freshalloy.com/

Kyle Bennett http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

such a shameless plug!!! but I like the car so I'll forgive ya Kyle.

Brandon

mrmephistopheles
01-15-2002, 09:57 AM
I don't know what the part number is or if it's 'not available in US'.. I bought myself a Kaaz 2 way and needed new shafts, so I had mine sourced from Kaaz's US distributor.. A Kaaz differential (at least for my S13) REQUIRES these new shafts.. Non LSD shafts will NOT work.
Like I said though, any Nissan Parts Dept can special order them, or you can order some from Kaaz's US distributor.

Kevin
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gforce240sx:

According to Nissan Motorsport, the right side flange is no longer available in the US (which is required for a non-turbo 300zx LSD conversion). It has to be special order from Japan, which will take anywhere from 2-3 months. You can go aftermarket Kazz, quaife, etc. I think those will use an open diff. shafts. A bit more expensive but you don't have to look/wait for the shafts to come in. Then again, you can go to LSD companies (kazz, quaife, cusco etc..) and say you're doing an article on LSD swap and have them "donate" one for testing http://www.freshalloy.com/

Danny.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mav1178
01-15-2002, 11:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roycenagger:
Basically concern yourself w the 4th letter (K). If a (-) exists, it does not have HICAS.
But it can have VLSD w/out HICAS.
Look for the H1 pack symbol.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Royce, you're wrong with this.

The 91+ S13 was only available with VLSD if and only if the optional handling package was ordered. It lumps Super-HICAS and VLSD together as a package.

Here is the spec sheet from a 1991 240SX sales brochure: http://www.socal240sx.org/faq/1991.html

H1 denotes the optional "handling package". If you check the S13 parts catalog, you will see that the VLSD (R200V) is labeled as a "4WS differential" or something to that extent. Only the R200 open differential is a "2WS differential".

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Another question:

If you do have the HICAS, and you want to keep it, will the KA24DE power steering pump mount on the SR20? Is there any way to retain HICAS with the SR?

-Dave Coleman

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 11:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Royce, you're wrong with this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads up Alex!
I always thought it was only available w/HICAS but was convinced otherwise by a respected member here.
I will edit the post w/my original one.

-Royce

Grumpy
01-15-2002, 11:50 AM
JUst ge the SR20DET with a Hicas Pump. Thats all. If your motor came with the stock pump I know there are lots of people who will trade you. I do not like the HICAS system, so I have some laying around the shop somewhere......

Grumpy www.mckinneymotorsports.com (http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com)

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 10:32 PM
For what it's worth I have a 1993 S13 fastback with no HICAS yet I still have the VLSD. I think it's just a Canadian thing though.

Mav1178
01-15-2002, 10:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by max_burke:
For what it's worth I have a 1993 S13 fastback with no HICAS yet I still have the VLSD. I think it's just a Canadian thing though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My info was regarding USDM S13's only.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2002, 10:43 PM
hmmm dave doesnt seem to know too much about the 240sx even though SCC did do a 240sx project before

**DONOTDELETE**
01-16-2002, 12:12 AM
Dave, I have a 1990 coupe and I got a VLSD from a HICAS equipped hatchback at a junkyard. The diff is definitely beefy, because the internals on it are the exact same as the internals on the NA 300ZX, and I believe the viscous coupling is also the same as that of the TT 300ZX.

Another thing you might want to mention is that all 240SXs sold in Canada came with VLSD, so that's a good source for used diffs. I am pretty sure this is true, can another member verify this info?

Getting the diff from another S13 240SX made the job easy for me, as it was a direct pumpkin-swap.

Geoff Hoffmann
San Diego

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: sil240 ]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-16-2002, 12:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Coleman:
Another question:

If you do have the HICAS, and you want to keep it, will the KA24DE power steering pump mount on the SR20? Is there any way to retain HICAS with the SR?

-Dave Coleman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a '92 hatchback with Super Hicas, and the KA SH pump and bracket "CAN" be used, by flipping the water pump pulley, so it's mounted backwards. Yeah... this is ghetto, but the pulleys almost line up. This works, but the belt get smoked pretty fast. I wouldn't really recommend this method to anyone, But it's a temporary solution if you got a standard PS pump with your motor.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-16-2002, 01:00 AM
they deal with many different cars there not gonna know every little detail on every model. No ones perfect.

My favorite was when they said the base model S14's came with rear drum brakes, in there s14 project. http://www.freshalloy.com/

carluch
01-16-2002, 06:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gforce240sx:

Danny.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the right side flange might not be available, but you can use the right shaft from the z32 you got the lsd from. it works fine, s13srmadness has that setup with the 240sx shaft/flange on the left...(s13)

s13SRmadness
01-16-2002, 02:19 PM
so do you.just admit it.

JonCarson
01-17-2002, 01:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vspecskyline:
hmmm dave doesnt seem to know too much about the 240sx even though SCC did do a 240sx project before<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He never claimed to be a 240SX expert. What's your point?

Besides, this forum either wasn't around or it wasn't as big as it is now, so it wasn't here to help him out. http://www.freshalloy.com/

redlyne
01-17-2002, 09:20 AM
To the best of my knowledge, all Canadian 240's from '91 on had the VLSD, regardless of any other options. I could be wrong though, it happens a lot http://www.freshalloy.com/

Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by max_burke:
For what it's worth I have a 1993 S13 fastback with no HICAS yet I still have the VLSD. I think it's just a Canadian thing though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-17-2002, 01:58 PM
My friend just had his SOHC swapped for an SR and we both drove home, him in his SOHC SR and me in my near stock 93 240. In addition to the unusable tach, it seems his speedo is off as well, reading a few mph low (for my indicated 80, his reads 73). Is this common in the SOHC to SR swap or DOHC even, or could it just be that mine is 3mph fast and his 4 mph slow?

Steeles
01-17-2002, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240 2NR:
My friend just had his SOHC swapped for an SR and we both drove home, him in his SOHC SR and me in my near stock 93 240. In addition to the unusable tach, it seems his speedo is off as well, reading a few mph low (for my indicated 80, his reads 73). Is this common in the SOHC to SR swap or DOHC even, or could it just be that mine is 3mph fast and his 4 mph slow?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

where'd he get a SOHC SR? SR20ET?

Brandon http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Sorry, I guess that does read fuuny. It was a SOHC 240 with an SR swapped in. I was calling it a SOHC SR due to the 89 SOHC dash with a DOHC redtop SR. Ahhh, too many acronyms.

The short of it is he's got a normal DOHC redtop in his former SOHC 240. I was just stating that another problem with the SOHC instrument cluster when running the SR might be that the speedo is off, which at 100mph would be off by 10mph based on our differences at 80mph.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 02:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redlyne:
To the best of my knowledge, all Canadian 240's from '91 on had the VLSD, regardless of any other options. I could be wrong though, it happens a lot http://www.freshalloy.com/
Sean<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope. not all cdn 240's have lsd. my 95 doesn't, and probably about 1/2 of all s14's dont.

RDM_II
01-18-2002, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sil240:
The diff is definitely beefy, because the internals on it are the exact same as the internals on the NA 300ZX, and I believe the viscous coupling is also the same as that of the TT 300ZX.

Geoff Hoffmann
San Diego

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: sil240 ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The viscous unit is not the same as the TT. The TT uses a larger 230mm unit.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gold95:

nope. not all cdn 240's have lsd. my 95 doesn't, and probably about 1/2 of all s14's dont.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My cdn 93 FB doesn't have VLSD either... hmm... wonder how that myth began....

http://www.freshalloy.com/