PDA

View Full Version : this is a job for...dun dun dun! super RUSS!

kovert
06-21-2005, 12:15 PM
So, ive taken out my AC/heater and all related ducting and accessories; YEsterday I decided it was time to take out all the related wiring and harnesses as well.

First of all, i yanked out the harness that runs along the passenger side fender well up to the relay box and harness that runs along the radiator support.

this harness contains basicly the wiper motor, auto trans ecu, cruise control and i beleive a/c wiring. so im pretty much removing the entire harness minus the 5-6 wires for the wiper motor.

then i will be tracing it back to the main harness running along the radiator support all the way o the drivers side fuse panel and removing every last bit of wiring im no longer using on the car, including rear wiper, crusie ac, heater, auto trans, wiper sprayer, auto seat belts, ect.

this may turn into a rather large project, but the way i see it is, im simplifing the wiring of the car, eliminating all things that are not needed and/or are not being used. i am also removing what little extra weight i have been lugging around for no appearent reason.

my question is, when the time comes for me to start wrapping and cleaning harnesses back up, what would be an alternative to electrical tape and that plastic shielding that most of the stock harnesses have? I want to make this clean as possible, as i will also being FINALLY pulling the engine bay fuse boxes under the dash, and only sending out the headlight/wiper motor and parking light wiring beyond the firewall.

any ideas or suggestions for even making this project alittle less painless, or ideas for harness cleanup would be much appreciated.

i will also post some pics later if anyone is interested in seeing them.

cardriver
06-21-2005, 01:13 PM
im not russ(like thats not a given)
id be looking for this crap but this is just me

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/graphics/sleeveguideimages/Image4.jpg

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/graphics/sleeveguideimages/Image32.jpg

ive seen places that sells them in lengths of 20ft

i know frys carries them with diffrent colors too http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RDM_II
06-21-2005, 02:15 PM
^ What he said. The braided coverings look damn nice and are easy to work with since you'll be pinning the harnesses, all the wire ends will be loose and easy to slide through. Flex loom works decent too but it's pretty ugly and will unravel.
Another nice looking idea is to use heatshrink, you'll need to find a place that sells it by the foot and when running the wiring through it you'll want them all laid out the same all the way from end to end, otherwise you'll see bulges in the wrap from wires crossing each other.

And if you really want to be trick, run the dash harness through the dash crossbar. It will kill you dead to get it all in there but it looks sick, unfortunately I never took pics when I finished mine in RDM.I but imagine the only visible portions being the plugs. Gives the dash a very clean look, you can then move the ECU up to the top of the dash and get it out of the floor.
Then run the rear harness up through the Apillar or through the rocker panel, keeping it hidden, and hide the tail harness under the rear ledge or even run it outside behind the filler panel below the lights.

Sit in the car and study it real well before you get started and you'll find a lot more places to hide things.

kovert
06-21-2005, 07:20 PM
damn..your full of good ideas....this is gonna be funner than i had thought. thanks for the suggestions. i'll post some pics of it before i get any real work done on it.

ManoNegra
06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks cardriver. I feel a trip to Fry's is in order.

cosmoworks
06-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Another nice looking idea is to use heatshrink, you'll need to find a place that sells it by the foot and when running the wiring through it you'll want them all laid out the same all the way from end to end, otherwise you'll see bulges in the wrap from wires crossing each other.

That exactly what I use, and it looks OE when done. The local electronics place here sells heatshrink it in 100' rolls.

-Cosmo

kovert
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM
i havent been able to source the braided stuff yet, but hopefully i can find it soon.

Kim_Jong_Il
06-23-2005, 06:11 PM
mcmaster carr sells the braided stuff.

luka
06-23-2005, 07:01 PM
that braided stuff is trash. you use that for your PSU wires in a computer not on a car. there's no protection from the elements with it.

Kim_Jong_Il
06-23-2005, 07:19 PM
There aren't many elements under the dash or in the cabin to worry about...

RDM_II
06-23-2005, 09:21 PM
There aren't many elements under the dash or in the cabin to worry about...

You never know, as many times as I've left my sunroof open in the rain after a long night of drinking it couldn't hurt.

cardriver
06-24-2005, 09:17 AM
im guessing you havent you seen newer cars with it?

rush0
06-24-2005, 09:36 AM
What about heatshrink and that braided stuff? It looks so cool =)

cardriver
06-24-2005, 09:37 AM
?

RDM_II
06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
im guessing you havent you seen newer cars with it?

He hasn't. All the Chrysler engine harnesses use it heavily. So do some Fords now. They're trying to be hardcore like us cool import guys. Bastards.

_Def_
06-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I'd be more worried about my health than the wiring in my car if the "elements" could eat through the PCV coating on wires...

The braided stuff is just to keep the wires together.

Kim_Jong_Il
06-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I'd be more worried about my health than the wiring in my car if the "elements" could eat through the PCV coating on wires...

ding ding the winner!

kovert
06-26-2005, 01:08 PM
some pics:

http://drag240sx.com/datas/users/1-imgp0991.jpg
http://drag240sx.com/datas/users/1-imgp1102.jpg
http://drag240sx.com/datas/users/1-imgp1103.jpg

RDM_II
06-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Man that brings back memories of sitting in a garage in NC for a weekend. Actually, two garages in NC, a few months apart. Good stuff.

nissandet240
06-26-2005, 05:00 PM
So, ive taken out my AC/heater and all related ducting and accessories; YEsterday I decided it was time to take out all the related wiring and harnesses as well.

First of all, i yanked out the harness that runs along the passenger side fender well up to the relay box and harness that runs along the radiator support.

this harness contains basicly the wiper motor, auto trans ecu, cruise control and i beleive a/c wiring. so im pretty much removing the entire harness minus the 5-6 wires for the wiper motor.

then i will be tracing it back to the main harness running along the radiator support all the way o the drivers side fuse panel and removing every last bit of wiring im no longer using on the car, including rear wiper, crusie ac, heater, auto trans, wiper sprayer, auto seat belts, ect.

this may turn into a rather large project, but the way i see it is, im simplifing the wiring of the car, eliminating all things that are not needed and/or are not being used. i am also removing what little extra weight i have been lugging around for no appearent reason.

my question is, when the time comes for me to start wrapping and cleaning harnesses back up, what would be an alternative to electrical tape and that plastic shielding that most of the stock harnesses have? I want to make this clean as possible, as i will also being FINALLY pulling the engine bay fuse boxes under the dash, and only sending out the headlight/wiper motor and parking light wiring beyond the firewall.

any ideas or suggestions for even making this project alittle less painless, or ideas for harness cleanup would be much appreciated.

i will also post some pics later if anyone is interested in seeing them.

heatshrink
Frys have this clear heatsrhrink. olso easy to work on. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kovert
06-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Man that brings back memories of sitting in a garage in NC for a weekend. Actually, two garages in NC, a few months apart. Good stuff.

should be done tonight, started thrusday..taking our sweet ass time.

now i got a nice ass sil15-40 in my driveway that needs some wiring work done..so its hard to concentrate when i keep looking at that sexy beast.

Steeles
06-27-2005, 04:28 PM

Mine was never like that. we just had the main harness out... and we looked at it for what five minutes before decideing to trash it and get another one? which lead to the two month delay and me getting screwed and ending up waiting another two months and getting the Microtech.... dammit russ this is why I hate you

RDM_II
06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Naw, I meant Heyden's and Andy's. Your car was too much of a piece to fool with.

Steeles
06-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Naw, I meant Heyden's and Andy's. Your car was too much of a piece to fool with.

harrr forgot about andy's pile o crap. we'll have fun redoing stuff when I know the engines going back together. that stereo stuff we talked about and I gotta get that laptop from Murph in and wired.

wanabe_dorito_esx
06-28-2005, 06:34 PM
looks like mine, except in my driveway and it hit 89 today, with rain

cnichols
07-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Here's where I put mine...

http://www.streetelite.net/pics/fusebox.jpg

RDM_II
07-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Here's where I put mine...

http://www.streetelite.net/pics/fusebox.jpg

You could have at least mounted it right side up, ass. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wanabe_dorito_esx
07-06-2005, 05:20 PM
thats alot more wires than mounting it at/near the firewall

but we're not all stripped and half gone lol

kovert
07-06-2005, 06:18 PM
im redoing mine, it was too much of a hack job leaving the harness incar and trying to do it, so i got a new harness and im doing it outside the car, then moving it in.
I need to figure out a nice/clean place to mount the boxes.

i really wish estevan still had pics up of his race harness, that and russ's pics always seem to inspire good ideas.