PDA

View Full Version : Wired iPod for M without AUX

KROW
06-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Just found this site last night and read through all 20+ pages of threads. Good stuff!

I heard some touch on this but didn't see a definitive answer anywhere.
I'd like to connect my iPod to the stereo (without the poor sound quality of an FM transmitter), but I didn't get the tech package (big mistake) and therefore don't have the AUX jacks in the back seat and don't have the SAT Radio either. So, I'm wondering if all model packages use the same core system, meaning that the stereo has multiple inputs that SAT or AUX would connect to and without the package installed, those inputs are still there just unused. I hoping they are, if so, I can theoretically wire a connector for my iPod. Although, if this can be achieved, there's still the issue of how to 'select' that input - as I don't have a SAT/NAV/AUX button on the dash anywhere.

It's amazing that no one at my Infiniti dealer (SoFla), seems to know anything about the car's features or internal workings.

In response to some of the other threads...
- 'CLANGING' sound - Yes! Some exhaust heat shield expanding/contracting... seems to be lessening now having the car almost 3 months and 6K miles. Annoying as hell at first! Love the video someone posted as proof - classic!
- Upon purchase 1 key fob didn't work - took 2 1/2 months to get 2nd one (bad dealer) and 3 hours for Infiniti service to program it (bad service).
Will be using knowledge gained here to customize fob per driver (seat, steering, stereo presets, etc.)
- Played with 'Configuration/Diagnostic' mode stuff... fun.

Appreciate any ideas on the iPod connection.
Need to find a wiring diagram.

Thanks!
=================
Liquid Platinum M35 Sport

thankful
06-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Man without the Aux inputs - Im not sure what you will do - (to make it easy anyways...)

I understand you not wanting to go with the typical FM Trans.... I use one of those now in my G35 Sedan - and it works pretty good.... I have the iTrip model.

Now - I bet if you go to a good car stereo shop here in South Florida (and I say here as I live in South Florida) I bet that they can easily wire something in for you....

I'm not sure if your questions about the inputs being there and available is true or not - probably so....

Some of these other guys may be able to help you with that - seeing that some of them have already been behind the dash etc...

But...

If you are looking for a good shop around town that may be able to help you with this - let me know where your located and I will see if I can help.

Thanks - and good luck!

Q2M_from_LS430
06-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Unfortunately there are no Aux inputs without the dvd audio (ie 5.1 surround). I believe this requires the tech or premium package. The aux input provided by the DVD audio is wired through DVD player, and it doesnít seem as though the dvd player's analog audio input is available (I don't know if it IS analog), but it could be.

Right now, without the aux input, there are limited choices for the M.

Monster iCruise
The good
- It offers a true aux input,
- It's compatible with your steering wheel controls,
- It offers an optional display that can be mounted on your dash or visor.

The Bad
- You have to completely give up use of your CD player (Very very bad)
- It shows no iPod info on your NAV screen.

FM Modulator
If you get an FM modulator hard wired, it will work fairly reliably, as it can better compete with local channels.

Home made Aux input
- You might try disassembling the CD player to determine if itís using an analog audio feed to the head unit.
- If so, you should be able to attach an audio switcher with a relay to that audio feed, to achieve a real aux input. The relay switch could be mounted under the dash as people have done for the NAV hack.

I believe that's it for right now, but more will probably be coming.

Pete

KROW
06-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks Pete... it's funny I was just reading your post (and others) on Edmunds.

I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs (800.662.6200) and posed the question to them and basically the guy was 'unsure'. He couldn't tell me if there were different part numbers for the core head unit - to see if there were different models and therefore different input configurations (tech, nav or nothing).

Right now, I'm leaning toward seeing if I can hijack the CD changers input and use that. Although if I get in there and find the other inputs hanging there unused, I'll find a way to use one of those.

Anyone know the purpose of the alternate preset radio station when you press "Radio" button a second time. On mine Presets A & C are FM stations and if I press "Radio" again it gives me an AM station that I can change. And on the Presets B, which AM stations, a second press gives me an FM station.
Can't see a way to change the band.

Maybe I should crack open this novel of a manual.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Q56_MONSTER
06-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Anyone know the purpose of the alternate preset radio station when you press "Radio" button a second time. On mine Presets A & C are FM stations and if I press "Radio" again it gives me an AM station that I can change. And on the Presets B, which AM stations, a second press gives me an FM station.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This feature is handy and gives you the ability to set both AM, FM, and SAT stations all on one preset (A. B. or C). In other words, you can have preset A have both AM, FM, and SAT stations saved on 1-6. You can do the same for preset B & C.

I think this is great because I let my thumb do the walking on the steering wheel and flip through my fav SAT, AM & FM stations. Otherwise, you'd have to constantly look down to press the preset A/B/C button to get to your favorites on different bands.

Q2M_from_LS430
06-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks Pete...
Right now, I'm leaning toward seeing if I can hijack the CD changers input and use that. Although if I get in there and find the other inputs hanging there unused, I'll find a way to use one of those.

You're very welcome.

The problem with using a DVD audio input when you don't have DVD is that you won't be able choose the DVD audio as an input source. When you have DVD audio the system knows this, and when you hit the disc button, it cycles between CD and DVD. If you don't have DVD, the DISC button will not cycle to a DVD position. That's why I'm recommending doing it with the CD feed: Since you DO have a CD, you WILL be able to choose CD as a source. Then you'll use your separate switch to toggle between CD and AUX.

To add to what QX56_monster has said:

Yes, you can use any mix of channels, from any radio band, on any of the preset banks (A,B, or C). For example you can have 3 FM, 1 AM and 2 Sat Radio presets, all on preset A, and similarly any combo of these on B or C.

The way to do this is

1 Choose the preset bank (A,B,or C) on which you want to save some station presets (by pressing and cycling through the preset-A-B-C button). Say you set this to preset B

2 Hit the radio button (one or more times) until you're at the radio band you want: AM, FM, or Sat.

3 Use the radio tuning knob to find a station you want

4 Press and hold a preset button (1-6): The radio station is saved to that preset in that bank. In our example say you hit preset 2 in preset bank B, to save FM 101.

Now, whenever you hit preset 2 in preset bank B, you will go to FM channel 101 even if you were just listening to AM or SAT.

Does that help?

Pete

Q2M_from_LS430
06-22-2005, 08:03 PM
I think this is great because I let my thumb do the walking on the steering wheel and flip through my fav SAT, AM & FM stations. Otherwise, you'd have to constantly look down to press the preset A/B/C button to get to your favorites on different bands.

I really agree with you about this. I have two FM stations I like to listen to in addition to my many, many XM stations. With the inconvenience of having to change both source and preset in my Q, I end up almost never listening to those FM stations. I'm so looking forward to that feature on the M.

Pete

KROW
06-22-2005, 08:08 PM

My thumb cycles through the A,B & C Presets by using the 'Source' button on the steering wheel.

Here's another scenario then...
Let's say the A Presets are inherently FM stations, when you press the 'Radio' button it brings up an AM station (or SAT stations on another click) and you can save the AM station... but what if you save all 6 as AM stations? If they're all AM presets and when you click 'Radio' again it brings up AM stations - how do you get back to FM stations?

Not that you'd get yourself in that mess, but it one of those things that make you go 'hmmm...'

Like what happens if you press the 'Start/Stop' button while driving? It does still function in gear, but does it work with movement? Probably not, like the some of the 'Settings' are greyed out while moving in gear. But I'm not willing to experiment the other one.

Q2M_from_LS430
06-22-2005, 08:16 PM
but what if you save all 6 as AM stations? If they're all AM presets and when you click 'Radio' again it brings up AM stations - how do you get back to FM stations?

By hitting the radio button (or the source button on the steering wheel) one or more times as needed.

Q56_MONSTER
06-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Let's say the A Presets are inherently FM stations, when you press the 'Radio' button it brings up an AM station (or SAT stations on another click) and you can save the AM station... but what if you save all 6 as AM stations? If they're all AM presets and when you click 'Radio' again it brings up AM stations - how do you get back to FM stations?

here's what I do. Instead of trying to remember sequences of buttons, I just voice activate the station I want. I push the voice button and say, for example, "Tune 95.1 FM", or "Tune Channel 14". The former gets me to the FM station I want and the latter gets me to the SAT station I want.

I've learned that the voice activated command "Tune" controls AM/FM and the "Tune Channel" command controls SAT stations.

KROW
06-22-2005, 09:25 PM
So, without the tech/nav package... it wouldn't be possible to have an aftermarket SAT radio installed and connected to & accessible through the head unit?

KROW
06-22-2005, 09:44 PM
UPDATE:

From the Monster iCruze site FAQs:

I currently have a factory CD Changer installed in my vehicle. Will it still work after iCruze is installed?
No. iCruze needs to plug into that same CD Changer port on your factory car stereo. Once iCruze is installed, your factory CD Changer is disabled.

I have a factory indash multi-disc CD Changer in my vehicle. Will iCruze work?
No.

I don't have a factory CD Changer installed in my vehicle, but my factory stereo has the capability of controlling one. Will iCruze work?
Yes.

Q2M_from_LS430
06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
UPDATE:

From the Monster iCruze site FAQs:

I currently have a factory CD Changer installed in my vehicle. Will it still work after iCruze is installed?
No. iCruze needs to plug into that same CD Changer port on your factory car stereo. Once iCruze is installed, your factory CD Changer is disabled.

I have a factory indash multi-disc CD Changer in my vehicle. Will iCruze work?
No.

I don't have a factory CD Changer installed in my vehicle, but my factory stereo has the capability of controlling one. Will iCruze work?
Yes.

Grubbs is selling the iCruize for the M, and they said it will work. Since all new m's have in dash cd players, I don't think this FAQ is correct on this point of it not working with in dash cd's. I suspect they're referring to in dash CD units that are literally part of the head unit.

In that case it would be impossible to disconnect the CD and connect up the icruize. The M's cd player is really a separate unit which probably attaches through an accessible cable. Call grubs infiniti and they'll tell you more. But I'm betting it's ok.

Pete

Q2M_from_LS430
06-22-2005, 10:27 PM
So, without the tech/nav package... it wouldn't be possible to have an aftermarket SAT radio installed and connected to & accessible through the head unit?

Do you really want an after market sat radio? [Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but] I'm pretty sure you can add an infiniti XM receiver to any existing M, such that it will be fully integrated and controllable by the head unit and steering wheel controls. That would definitely be better that an aftermarket one.

OTOH an after market unit can probably be attached in the same way we were spoke about adding an ipod with the home made aux. It wouldn't have steering wheel controls, and you wouldn't see any track info on the dash display.

Pete