PDA

View Full Version : Tapping sound after new SR cam install

Brad
06-30-2005, 03:08 AM
hey whats up guys, i remember seeing these types of threads around but i searched and cant find jack. heres the deal

just installed my new cams, supposedly tomei 260/260 10.5mm lift drop ins. now i say supposedly cause they arent stamped and im not sure. the lobes are definetly bigger and different shape tho so they arent stock

i installed them, redid cam gears, cas, etc with FSM spec, and got the car to idle pretty well, little lopey but nice. as soon as it started though i heard the damn tapping noise.

first i think stuck lifter, rev it to 2k and let it idle like that for a few mins, praying it stops and letting the cams break in. no dice.

it accelerates with rpms of course, and it isnt rod knock. i know that sound quite well unfortunately. it *sounds* like its coming from the intake side but who knows.

the only other thing i installed with the cams is grex RAS, which are too easy to screw up so those should be fine.

im prepared to put in some work friday and saturday to get it fixed, any ideas what i should start looking at first?

thanks for any help

knate
06-30-2005, 03:52 AM
I've never done cams, but I believe I remember reading about air in the lifters where you need to put them in oil and poke a paper clip in to get the air out.

ItzGenX
06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Yeah, the lifters don't bleed themselves.

BlownDET
06-30-2005, 10:56 AM
I think one of your shims poped out they look like a small disk and sit on top of the valve spring and under the rocker arm, same thing happend to me when i did my cams. try looking at that first you'll be abale to tell just by looking at the rocker arm and look close.

kovert
06-30-2005, 10:59 AM
I think one of your shims poped out they look like a small disk and sit on top of the valve spring and under the rocker arm, same thing happend to me when i did my cams. try looking at that first you'll be abale to tell just by looking at the rocker arm and look close.

thats what im thinking..
its probably a shim ticking around

BlownDET
06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Yea those little B****'es pop out so easy http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif and hang out looking to mess something up.

kovert
06-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Yea those little B****'es pop out so easy http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif and hang out looking to mess something up.

i had that problem..i even put it back, just to have it come out again..pissed me off.

Brad
06-30-2005, 06:34 PM
cool, thanks guys. im actually eager to go rip off the valve cover tonight and the lady friend wants to help, bonus

do you think if the cam timing was off it could cause this too? i hate saying "it worked yesterday" but the motor ran fine and i kept the cam timing looking the same. the chain jumped a tooth or so but i got it looking like it should be. and the car started right up and idled well, from my experience cam timing that is off causes the car to idle very poorly if at all

TS4l
07-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Cam timing is easy to double check, when you have the valve cover off bring it to TDC on the compression stroke. Then start with the exhaust cam gear the tooth right above the mark on the gear is tooth #1, count clockwise from there to the top of the head, it should be between tooth 8 and 9. then do the same counting counter clockwise from tooth 1 on the intake side and it should be between 4.5 and 5.5. Then just make sure you have twenty rollers between the mating marks on the cam gears! But no I don't think this would cause a taping sound unless you were off bad enough for the valves to be hitting the pistons and I think you would really notice that! The procedure for checking the cam timing is on www.rs-enthalpy.com (http://www.rs-enthalpy.com) if mine instructions aren't clear enough. I'd say re-bleed the HLS'a!

Brad
07-01-2005, 09:24 PM
hah loose rocker arm on #4. lost 2 shims and a shim on rocker arm #2. whoops now im [censored]. searching and hoping i can find a good thread on this, zilvia sucks so far

Ovrated
07-02-2005, 12:07 PM
if you lost a shim or 2, chances are they made thier way to the oil pan.. pull it off, and see if you can find them

Brad
07-03-2005, 01:16 PM
no luck, no shims in the oilpan. i pulled the lower and even jammed my trusty extendo-magnet into the upper pan. i was ready to give up and start the rebuild last night but then i saw a bunch of random 240s driving and i need to get this damn car running

i let it idle for about 5-10 mins when the rocker fell off and had no oil problems, is it safe to just measure and get new shims and let those other shims just find their way to my oilpan after time. or can it cause some serious issues?

BlownDET
07-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I drove my car for a month or so after i lost a shim in my motor and never had a prob with it last oil change i did it came out. i always look at the oil after i change it and low and behold there it was.

carluch
07-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I drove my car for a month or so after i lost a shim in my motor and never had a prob with it last oil change i did it came out. i always look at the oil after i change it and low and behold there it was.

guess you were trying hard for a double meaning of your screenname...