PDA

View Full Version : KA clutch size upgrade

cdlong
06-30-2005, 02:59 PM
i will need a new clutch soon and i'm looking to upgrade. i want something streetable (only basic power mods right now) but i'm looking to turbo in the future so it needs to handle around 250whp. most street clutches i've seen are only rated at 250lb-ft which is too close for comfort for me.

SCC's project silvia has a 250mm NA Z32 clutch on the SR20 flywheel (stock SR is 240mm, stock KA is 225 i believe). is it possible to do something similar to run a larger clutch, possibly on a different flywheel? a larger clutch would would still be streetable but handle more power. i'll probably get an ACT which i've heard is a little underrated so this may be unnecessary but i thought i'd check.

so the frontier KA has a 240mm clutch, does it bolt right up and are there light weight flywheels and ACT clutches avaliable?

doggunracing
06-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Regular ACT street will hold over 250, but if you want some breathing room, you can get the White Bunny special. I have a modified (cheaper) version of it using the SOHC KA truck flywheel. It's a 240mm flywheel that bolts on; you only have to knock off the brass pin on the crank. You can then use the ACT street for a 280ZX turbo that holds 400lb-ft with the same engagement and price.

cdlong
06-30-2005, 03:43 PM
i can't find any info on the white bunny special, got a link?

how much does the truck flywheel weigh? are there lighter aftermarket versions? why did you use a SOHC, does it work better for some reason?

i feel like such a newbie with these questions. sorry, clutches aren't my speciality, and i don't frequent this site enough to know the lingo.

Jeff240sx
06-30-2005, 06:53 PM
You didn't find info because you didn't search. Hit the search button. Type in white bunny spl. Change date to 1 year.
-Jeff

doggunracing
06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
i can't find any info on the white bunny special, got a link?

Start here. (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=97528&page=&vi ew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

how much does the truck flywheel weigh? are there lighter aftermarket versions? why did you use a SOHC, does it work better for some reason?

Heavy, 22 or 23 lbs I think? I think TY's was custom made. I just know the SOHC truck flywheel works and they're cheap from a junkyard. Just get it resurfaced.

cdlong
07-01-2005, 08:57 AM
is there an FAQ anywhere, with what flywheels work from what year, weight, necessary modifications, avaliable aftermarket, and what clutchs work from what year? it gets a little confusing with two or three different setups going.

does the 280zx clutch bolt right up to the KA flywheel or are there modifications there too?

except for the thread you posted, everyone just says "search for white bunny special".

Modboy
07-01-2005, 09:14 AM
If you've actually got money... just go to www.Ultrarev.com (http://www.Ultrarev.com) Cheapest clutch/flywheel packages for performance I've found. I paid about $640 for Clutch Masters 6 puck sprung hub, and their Aluminum flywheel It weighs 11~lbs. I am very happy with it. ACT is over-priced for not having a sprung hub.

cdlong
07-01-2005, 09:55 AM
i want to keep it streetable, no way am i going with a multi puck clutch

doggunracing
07-01-2005, 11:46 AM
is there an FAQ anywhere, with what flywheels work from what year, weight, necessary modifications, avaliable aftermarket, and what clutchs work from what year? it gets a little confusing with two or three different setups going.

does the 280zx clutch bolt right up to the KA flywheel or are there modifications there too?

No, there is no FAQ. I told you my setup, and it works well. I told you everything about my swap, which flywheel, crank brass pin, 280ZX turbo clutch bolts on. The only other thing there is to it is if you want a lighter flywheel. To my knowledge, there isn't an off-the-shelf product. TY had his custom made from Design Product, their info is in that thread.

RDM_II
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
i want to keep it streetable, no way am i going with a multi puck clutch

That's a little naive to say. If it's got a sprung hub you can go all the way up to a 3puck and not lose too much streetability, you just need to get used to it for a few days. Switching to a 4puck Vitek was the best move I ever made for overall power delivery to the wheels and quicker shifting. The ACT street disc doesn't work well with an aluminum flywheel (they'll tell you that if you call them) and most of the matched sets cost twice what they should because they're assumed to be designed for each other. Call a few clutch places and talk directly to a tech, you'll learn a lot of things that you'd never know from just shopping around about their own products as well as others.

cdlong
07-01-2005, 04:36 PM
That's a little naive to say. If it's got a sprung hub you can go all the way up to a 3puck and not lose too much streetability, you just need to get used to it for a few days.

400lb-ft with a full face clutch and a stock pedal feel is fine with me. i don't see the need if i can get what i want and i don't have to "get used to" anything