PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Question

drnissan
06-30-2005, 05:51 PM
I dunno if this is the right place to ask...but I just got a new notebook with integrated WiFi. The computer has two clients that can handle wireless connections/profiles/etc. one provided by IntelPRO/Wireless and the other provided by Microsoft, both cannot be used concurrently so I'm wondering if anyone here has any IT expertise and can tell me which is better. For me it doesn't matter cuz pretty much I can use the internet with either client, I'm just wondering which one has better security features and will make my battery life longer.

kennycrudup
06-30-2005, 06:49 PM
WARNING: I'm a 100% Linux guy who's only had to screw around with Windows for my girlfriends' PCs, but what I do know is that neither the MS nor the Intel solutions have ANYTHING to do with security, other than setting up a wifi key for you should you connect to a site that requires it. The power management is also handled by the driver for the WiFi card(s), any any power-management issues should probably be handled there (what you see in the Intel tool is just a mirror of the device's PM settings).

The best way to think of those two programs is to consider them like "dialers" in the old phone-modem sense. They really don't do anything but set your card to be able to connect to a given WiFi network.

Xren17
06-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Use the Intel one since it was written specifically for your WiFi, also you'll have less dropped connection. Let me know if you need help disabling the windows driver.

kennycrudup
06-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Use the Intel one since it was written specifically for your WiFi

Eh? He's not talking about a card driver, though. He's talking about the user-interface to connect to Access Points; both the Win and the Intel versions of that program don't care about what card driver you use.

also you'll have less dropped connection.

Since that's a function of the card's hardware, I don't think even the hardware driver will make much of a difference here. (This part I know quite a bit more about, as I've been involved with getting an open-source driver for the Intel Centrino WiFi card running).

Xren17
06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I only suggested that he use the Intel client because the windows zero configuration client have been known to cause computers to freeze or slow down. Also it will not allow you to connect to routers that have SSID disabled.

kennycrudup
07-01-2005, 04:10 AM
OK, ya got me there!

Sil_40sx
07-01-2005, 09:32 AM
they don't have security feature, get yourself a security software. and use either one.

Dave562
07-02-2005, 08:57 PM
I use the MS one because it is really easy to configure. It finds the network for you, and then if you need a key it prompts you for the key. The only gripe I have it with it is that it doesn't detect if the encryption is WEP or WPA/PKI, so you need to know that before you can get it configured.