PDA

View Full Version : Need help - metal headgasket install

chunk
06-30-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm currently installing an apexi metal headgasket & ARP studs in my s14 sr. The problem i am having is getting all of the headgasket residue off the block. I've scraped the majority of it off with a razor blade. The surface is completely smooth to the touch, but you can still see dark spots where the gasket was stuck on the metal. Can I proceed with installing the head, or do I have to get it down to bare metal? Thanks http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TS4l
07-01-2005, 09:15 AM
I recomend using a scotchbrite pad or something simalar to clean it! The better you clean it the better chance of a perfect seal. Make sure to use and air compressor or something to make sure there is no material in the cylinders before you put the head back on! Good Luck!
-Jason-

compression
07-01-2005, 10:15 AM
yes, scotchbrite the ***** until you can see your reflection.
cleanliness is godliness!

chunk
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Scotchbrite eh? I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!!

chunk
07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, Scotchbrite finishing pads from the paint section of Lowes + WD-40 = block surface smooth as glass =] Thanks again!

HolyShiznit
07-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Glad to hear it worked however the absolute best way to seal a metal headgasket is to surface the block and the head prior to installation. But that's normally only done when the motor is out of the bay and it's torn apart ie built motor.

I just went through it so I hope yours comes out fine.

chunk
07-02-2005, 05:02 PM
The motor IS out of my car, I just do not want to rebuild the bottom end of a motor with 25k miles on it. I turned the motor on its side on the engine stand to make sure gritty crap would not fall into the water and oil passages. L8ter

vitaminT
07-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Make sure to use copper spray on the gasket. Sorry if you knew this already.

chunk
07-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I have some Hylomar gasket dressing that I am going to use. Thanks =]

hapanesse
07-05-2005, 01:39 AM
why the copper spray? and do you use it on both sides?

vitaminT
07-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I think it fills in the micro gaps between the sheet metal gasket and the block/head. Like for scratches say from a scotchbrite.

I sprayed both sides with a couple coats, as directed by the can. I just sprayed the gasket not the block or head. Note the stuff I used never really got dry so I suggest you hang it while spraying and when you are ready to install, set the gasket right the first time. Basically don't set it down on the block and pick it back up.