PDA

View Full Version : Installed new intercooler Oil Temp has dropped???

SilviaKs
07-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Just got my new intercooler installed have cut a fair bit out of the bumper but also now have a large cooler blocking the air flow. My car used to sit around 70 degrees celcius having reached operating temp,(but did go a little higher) now it will go a little past 60 degrees but promptly drop back to around 60 degrees. Cooler air going into the engine reduce oil temp???
Also installed megan downpipe at the same time..

Or is my gauge playing up whats the optimal oil operating temperature. Blacktop Sr20det.
Searched with no luck strangly.....
Sorry for rambling appreciate any help. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SilviaKs
07-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Anyone even the optimal oil temp would be helpful?

_Def_
07-02-2005, 10:16 PM
My car will run about 130-140*F(140*F=60*C) in cooler weather, but in the summer it'll run in the 160-180*F range on the streets. Highway cruising does tend to drop it down a bit compared to lots of stop and go traffic.

If you get on the car some I bet it'll go up to about where the previous temps were.

Not saying it's really "normal" to drop your temps, but you can theoretically have a slightly cooler running engine since your intake air is quite a bit cooler. This is especially true if you're not making much power and heating the oil up.

Just make sure you don't really drive the car hard until the oil temps get up to about 60*C. Below that the engine is still cool.

SilviaKs
07-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks for reply yeah it takes quite some time to reach 60*c and at the moment it is untuned so I doubt I would be making any extra power. Have actually seen a drop in power on a test car (before tuning) with a intercooler installed before now. I guess I will have to book it in.

Any other ideas would be good.