PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft piece: guibo, flex disk, hardi-disk..

knate
07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
At a tech inspection for track racing, I was told I should replace this hard rubber piece in the driveshaft because there were some surface cracks. It's near the front of the driveshaft, if I remember right it seems like it was three pieces. Some people call it a guibo, flex disk, hardi-disk, or other names, anyone know what Nissan calls it? Is it a piece you can buy seperately? I called Courtesy Nissan and they kept trying to sell me a carrier bearing.

Kim_Jong_Il
07-04-2005, 09:34 PM
S13s have that big rubber disk in the shaft don't they? I believe you can just remove it and bolt the thing together solidly. Shortens the shaft about .5" but if you have a J30 diff or something that makes up for the difference.

knate
07-04-2005, 10:00 PM
That's interesting.. as I do have the j30 diff.

Kim_Jong_Il
07-04-2005, 10:03 PM
search around on here for details. I believe kookz did it a while back.

knate
07-04-2005, 10:20 PM
I would like to replace this piece though, as eventually I'll be putting an LSD in my open diff case. So anyone know what it's called or if you can buy it?

Kim_Jong_Il
07-04-2005, 10:33 PM
??? No clue. You could do the lsd and a one piece shaft at the the same time to rid the pesky center joint. But that is more $$$

_Def_
07-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Mine has some very light cracking as well. German manufactuers call it a guibo, and in the parts catalog for BMWs they're called flex discs. So you're referring to it by the right name.

I did notice in the FSM that it says to "never remove" the bolts for the flex disc. I figure if mine isn't completely falling apart it's fine. The one in my M3 was dead as a doornail at 110k miles, but the S13 one looks better even with 150k miles on it.

knate
07-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Mine has some very light cracking as well. German manufactuers call it a guibo, and in the parts catalog for BMWs they're called flex discs. So you're referring to it by the right name.

I did notice in the FSM that it says to "never remove" the bolts for the flex disc. I figure if mine isn't completely falling apart it's fine. The one in my M3 was dead as a doornail at 110k miles, but the S13 one looks better even with 150k miles on it.

Thanks a bunch! Now when I get my car teched I can tell him that it's not intended to be replaced. I've never heard of even a 500hp 240sx breaking that thing anyway.

insndrvr
07-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Just in case anyone plans on removing it, you will have to make sure whatever you bolt in it's place is perfectly flat. That pieces acts like a U-joint in a sense. If you eliminate it with something that is slightly off, it will make the first section of the driveshaft one piece, and if this is not perfectly straight, it will vibrate real bad. I tried doing it with machine bushings, thinking those would be close enough to the same hieght, but it was enough of a difference, that I was never able to get it just right.

kovert
07-05-2005, 04:01 PM
not sure what its called eaither, and i couldnt find a part number for it on carfiche.com, a few too many hard launches killed mine..it was only hanging on by one section. that was also about to let go.

I just ended up replacing my entire driveshaft.

a2low240
07-05-2005, 04:54 PM
I shredded mine up, bolted the driveshaft together without this part and it vibrated like crazy.

cellude
07-06-2005, 02:34 PM
hum. well, my S13 clip came with a driveshaft shaft that had a front piece that didn't have the "flex-disk", rather just bolted together. So I just bolted the front half of that one onto my old shaft replacing the "flex-disk". So there is a driveshaft out there for S13's that don't have it, I'm just not exactly sure which ones. Oh it doesn't vibrate even with no balancing.

RDM_II
07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I shredded mine up, bolted the driveshaft together without this part and it vibrated like crazy.

Most will do that, especially if you've swapped the diff since they're no longer balanced to each other. My aluminum driveshaft has a pretty harsh resonance at certain rpms, I think most do unless they're balanced on the car.

WillfastbackSE7
07-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Would you guys happen to be refering to the driveshaft center support bearing? Its a round rubber object that the driveshaft spins inside of and is encased in between 2 metal half-circle plates that is bolted up to the underbody of the car by 2 17mm bolts? After about a million tranny swaps and countless removals of the driveshaft, I began having this nasty driveshaft vibration issue (for about 1 yr now) and I believe that I may need to replace that part or the entire driveshaft.

_Def_
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
No, the flex disk is more forward than the center support bearing. It's a piece of rubber that joins the driveshaft together with bolts through it.

knate
07-07-2005, 08:40 AM
No, the flex disk is more forward than the center support bearing. It's a piece of rubber that joins the driveshaft together with bolts through it.

And at first glance may not look like rubber. I didn't realize it was until my car was up on a lift and it was pointed out to me.

Kookz
07-09-2005, 02:06 PM
From Wanabe240sx

http://www.pinkgodzira.com/albums/album03/DSCN1197.jpg

_Def_
07-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Yep, just like in Bond movies - "Failure is not an option."

For this piece at least. Looks like it took a while to find the culprit of that noise too eh? heh