PDA

View Full Version : sr20 fwd , rwd, sr20ve interchangability

Five10PacksDE
07-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I know that the sr20 rwd and fwd have differnces when trying to swap heads. The thing I am curious about is the sr20ve. I heard the head bolt pattern on that head is different than the sr20de fwd. Anyone have pictures of the differences?

I was also researching useing the gti-r stock itb setup, and I read about someone saying the ports on fwd and rwd cars don't match up. Anyone deal with these engines? Tried it? Am I gettting fed BS from the internet?

shoes59
07-06-2005, 07:07 PM
You can swap a VE head onto a DE block just fine. The difference is the oil passages in and around the VVL solenoids so you have to drill to accomodate that.

GTiR ITB's will bolt to a DE block but port matching is required.

vitaminT
07-06-2005, 08:51 PM
It will all bolt up from what I gather. The distributor and vvl solenoids will hit the firewall unless you cut/beat it in by about 4-6". People have modded the GTiR ITB's to work on the redtop head but it has hood problems. My thinking is that since the VE head is lowport like the GTiR then they should clear without any problems. I was VERY serious about doing this setup on my s13 but when it finally came down to buying the stuff, around $800 for a full head setup with cams and valvecover, and about $200-250 for the ITBs I came to the conclusion that since I don't daily drive my 240 that the benefits of the vvl didn't really outweigh the cost. I still think it would be kindof cool to see how it reacts to higher HP levels 350+. Also keep in mind that if you want aftermarket cams it will be pretty hard since most of the FWD guys that are doing this are going for NA and the cams will be ground for that.

Five10PacksDE
07-07-2005, 12:16 PM
thanks. Let me just get this straigth. You guys are saying the ve head will fit a fwd block np? What about the rwd block n fwd head or a vvl head? I am just curious. I was dreaming on how nice a NA sr20de rwd with itb's n VVl would be in my 510. 10.5:1-11:1 compression would be nice.
To go around the MAP sensor and a new ecu, I was also pondering about carburators. I know it would sound relaly cool, but I am not sure about the performance of a EFI system with one throttle, or a 45mm side draft setup.

TS4l
07-07-2005, 01:17 PM
FWD heads will not fit a RWD block, the head is about an 1" shorter, and the intake manifold from a FWD would face the firewall!

shoes59
07-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Also keep in mind that if you want aftermarket cams it will be pretty hard since most of the FWD guys that are doing this are going for NA and the cams will be ground for that.

Many are opting for the SR16VE cams with very good results. I would have gone that route if I'd kept the car.

vitaminT
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
FWD heads will not fit a RWD block, the head is about an 1" shorter, and the intake manifold from a FWD would face the firewall!

I am pretty sure someone tried this and it worked. They did use the S14 rwd front cover/oilpump though.

Oh and I found a guy at one time that had modded a few GTiR intake mani's so that it would face the correct direction. The only issue he had was that they didn't clear the hood on the high port redtop motors. I don't think this would be an issue with the VE head.

I had a list of stuff a while back but tossed it. The big thing in my mind is if you are willing to commit the $$$ to try it and it doesn't work, you haven't lost that much as you can just resell the parts.

Another thing to consider is I think what they call the 20v makes the cam change on both intake and exhaust at the same time. Now for tuning that may not be quite as good but the benefit is that the soleniod is a lot shorter (read firewall clearance). I have also heard people toying with the idea of using a non SR**VE distributor but instead using a CAS similar to the CA or some other motor so that the clearance would be less and you could run coilpacks.

Email me if you want a few pics of a SR20VE head. I have a few. Also have a few of the modded GTiR manifold.

TS4l
07-08-2005, 09:25 AM
I'll look again, I have both in my garage but I am pretty sure the size difference is too large, I was thinking the timing chain galley was no where close to matching up. I'll double check when I get home!

vitaminT
07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Wow that is pretty cool to just have both laying around.

Kato_NEO
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
where can you get GTI-R ITBs? haven't seen any on ebay...