PDA

View Full Version : What classes so you run in SCCA

dorimaster
07-11-2005, 08:31 AM
I wanted to run in one of NASA's car champion groups with my frineds, but they dont even have a class for our cars! They have them for: ser's miatas hondas, but no 240's! I have run several track days but would like to be timed. Let's hear what are our choices to run at the big tracks under what rules ect.

Thanks!
Pete

Chins180sx
07-11-2005, 08:47 AM
street modified. Cams larger turbo and intake manifold own me.

D_Money
07-11-2005, 09:06 AM
for solo II
sm...thanks to any spherical bushing on my car
and big wheels

no scca or nasa track events available nearby for me unfortunately

Voltron
07-11-2005, 11:35 AM
SCCA sucks that way. I was in STS then bumped straight to SM thanks to a 2 way diff. If you already doing track events and you want to be timed why not go with one of those in car lap timers?

RDM_II
07-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Time only in the old car. The regs are so tight about mods that I didn't fit into a class without being up against cars that were killing the hell out of me.

J_Rho
07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
SCCA sucks that way. I was in STS then bumped straight to SM thanks to a 2 way diff. If you already doing track events and you want to be timed why not go with one of those in car lap timers?

Voltron, LSDs are legal in STX class, which otherwise uses the same ruleset as STS.

If ever one wants to get "serious" about racing with the SCCA, I advise looking over the rulebook first:
http://scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf

FWIW I think the 240SX could be a very interesting STS car. A boosted 240 could be fun in Street Modified, but building a proper Street Modified car is beyond the means of most, and likely a path of frustration for someone looking to be competitive "Nationally".

orion
07-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Street Modified (SM) for Solo II competition...

Typical things that will send a modded S13/S14 to SM class:

Engine swap (any Nissan or Infiniti motor is allowed)

Turbo'd KA motor

As for SCCA road racing...you'd be in some IT class, for competition...but I thin you're asking about Solo II, no?

- Brian

dorimaster
07-11-2005, 10:20 PM
No WAY solo 2!! I dont like to drive that slow, REAL tracks, not parking lots! Ive been to CMP and VIR with NASA track days, but for roadrace competition, what classes can i run? Are they the same reqirements from solo 1 to 2? Help is appreciated.

Pete

handfulz28
07-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Not knowing what mods you have, I'll speak generally:
SOHC cars go in SCCA ITA, DOHC cars go in ITS. The "IT" classes are for mostly "stock" engines, and moderately improved suspensions.
If you've done anything engine-wise such as turbo or cams, you may be put in either ITE (Everything) or SPO.
As for NASA, I think there's a proposal to let "IT-prepared" 240s run with the SERs and change it to "Nissan Cup" instead of SER cup.
I'm not sure where you would be classified in NASA if you've done cams/turbo etc.
Like previously mentioned, check the rulebooks.
Good luck,
Michael

PSI_Allen
07-12-2005, 12:30 PM
In NASA if your car is modded beyond the rules in SER Cup you can run in SRX I believe it is called. That class was intended for turbo'd 240s and sentras with major suspension mods being allowed. Check with your local NASA region, I'm sure they'll be glad to help you.