PDA

View Full Version : my custom x brace

pwhitersxs
07-11-2005, 11:36 PM
pics:

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?p=280410#post280410

Review:

Just a background. I have megan racing springs and tockico shocks. bridgestone grid II tires. strut tower bars in the front and rear. Suspension techniques anti-roll bars. SR20det with the typical bolt on mods and custom tuned ecu just in case anyone wanted to know. I also have an s15 helical differential. The car has absolutely no body roll at all and is very neutral now. The car understeers on a sharp turn at around 40 with no throttle input, but if the same turn was taken when on the throttle the car will go right through the turn. The car is very neutral now. oversteer can be had with more throttle input as well. I am very impressed with the x brace and very happy with it.

How it was made:

I live in pittsburgh pennsylvania for reference. Jay down at domination chassis made this for me since I will not be living in the best area for the next two years and I want to be inconspicuous. the x brace was made out of mild steel and was bent around my exhaust, crushed down around by my passenger side transmission brace/mount, the brace was also crushed down around my downpipe to allow fitment as well. The x brace bolts into my frame due to the new holes that were drilled in it. The brace could also be welded in, but that might cause trouble if you ever have to drop your tranny.

well I am tired and if I missed anything just post.

also, any criticism on how to make this better will be appreciated. Thank you.

RDM_II
07-11-2005, 11:47 PM
One complaint, remove the clutch damper. Otherwise, cool. Similair to the old Dspeed brace, but yours seems a little more rigid. And probably costs less too.

Oh, and was your car found on the Titanic?

gunluvS14
07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
looks great http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif coo chit

pwhitersxs
07-12-2005, 12:49 PM
why would I remove my clutch damper? and what are you talking about...titanic? It is called the north, and we have salt that eats away at our cars and creates what we call "rust" http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/rolleyes1.gif . The pictures make my car look much worse on the bottom then it really is btw.

GotDitch
07-12-2005, 03:26 PM
The damper is the metal clutch line that loops to the rear of the car which helps the clutch feel more linear but is really useless and makes it hard to bleed it out. If your ever going to change the clutch line or bleed it out remove that first.
Ryan

RDM_II
07-12-2005, 03:51 PM
why would I remove my clutch damper?

You've been here for two years and you don't know?

Kim_Jong_Il
07-12-2005, 04:27 PM
good looking brace. Would be a good place to relocate the tranny mount's exhaust hanger (for those with a solid urethane mount that elimantes that piece).

Damn I want one now, possibly a good alternative to a rear cross bar and ladder bars. Hmm... if I could find someplace in Jersey to build one.

pwhitersxs
07-13-2005, 01:24 PM
To RDM_II, Please quit being a smarta**, what is your problem? You need to chill out. OK, I do not need it, but it is on there and it is just fine. If I ever have to take it off, I am sure I will. You do not hear me saying to take stuff off of your car or to change your car, you need to just comment on the brace, not the car.

On a more serious note.

http://www.dominationchassis.com/

That is the website, you can email him or call him to get a price on one. He sells for good prices and will make anything if you ask. This is not a commercial post, just stating that he does good work as I am not affiliated in any way.

pwhitersxs
07-13-2005, 01:37 PM
The exhaust hanger is very smashed, this was a very tight fit. The bottom bolt went in very easy, but the top bolt was very difficult. Then again, you do not need two bolts. If you ask jay would relocate the exhaust hanger to the brace for a better fit. I am still very pleased with this setup as my car is very neutral now.

RDM_II
07-13-2005, 03:34 PM
To RDM_II, Please quit being a smarta**, what is your problem? You need to chill out. OK, I do not need it, but it is on there and it is just fine. If I ever have to take it off, I am sure I will. You do not hear me saying to take stuff off of your car or to change your car, you need to just comment on the brace, not the car.

You need to relax. I wasn't being a smartass, I just find some things surprising when reading through posts. I guess I figure anyone who's serious enough to build an X brace for their car knows all the basics about that car.
Sure it's on there and not harming anything, but it's better without it.

pwhitersxs
07-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Yea, it is very hard to tell how someone means something over the internet. Well if I get time, I might take it off, but I am in no rush. I always try to stick by the method of, "if its not broke, then dont fix it." Also, it was a little difficult to bolt it back up due to the x brace, so maybe there is a method to the madness.