PDA

View Full Version : How long are your turbos lasting?

harlock_ssx
07-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I have been running a GT25R I purchased new from Cheapturbo.com for 1 1/2 yrs, always do a cooldown with my turbo timer (1 minute MINIMUM) & use quality oil (Omega). It appears tha my turbo is starting to leak a small bit on the inside as it's starting to smoke a little & consume more oil. My mechanic did a compression & leakdown check, as well as checking out a bunch of other things & thinks it's either a small headgasket (stock HG) leak or the turbo is starting to go. How long are you guys getting out of your turbos? I've put approx. 15,000Km on mine since swapping it on.

silviapwr20
07-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I have a little over 5000 miles on my gt25r .86, no problems so far.

orion
07-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Ihave close to 20,000 miles on my T3/T04E (standard 270 degree bearing, non-water cooled, and I don't have a turbo timer)...never had a problem.

If your's is showing signs of wear with those few miles, I'd check for proper oil supply and drainage. You should get MANY, MANY thousands from a decent turbo, especially a BB turbo.

- Brian

harlock_ssx
07-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Ihave close to 20,000 miles on my T3/T04E (standard 270 degree bearing, non-water cooled, and I don't have a turbo timer)...never had a problem.

If your's is showing signs of wear with those few miles, I'd check for proper oil supply and drainage. You should get MANY, MANY thousands from a decent turbo, especially a BB turbo.

- Brian

So far, everything checks alright...No signs of any oil leaks & supply/return lines are fine. The motor has good oil pressure as well. My mechanic thinks it might be the HG as when it does smoke, it doesn't smell like just oil. I've got no oil in my antifreeze or vice versa & plugs are clean. My catch can & the lines going to it are dry & clean, with no oil residue. I ordered a Cometic HG & ARP head studs yesterday, since it's way overdue for that. When I get back from a business trip, I'll get more into it, checking all my intercooler piping & removing the turbo for inspection. The whole reason I bought a ball-bearing turbo was that they're supposed to last so much longer...