PDA

View Full Version : PLMS Consult

Gonad
07-12-2005, 11:19 AM
So I just ordered this (should be here in a week or two).

Anyone using it?

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml

Basically it's the same as the CONSULT used by Nissan (that costs like $5K+) whereas this one is only $145AUD ($145CAD, $120USD) delivered.

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/images_if/gauges.jpg

vitaminT
07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Let me know how you like it. I am thinking about ordering it.

I am just wondering if I wired up the consult port when I did my swap. I am guessing that is something you would have to wire up on the interior harness.

_Def_
07-12-2005, 08:45 PM
You can tap into the lines right off the ECU - but I haven't been able to find anybody that will actually tell you those colors so you better go lurking around the ECU wiring diagram. It's only a few wires to tap into either way since it's basically a serial port connection.

I looked into doing a Consult interface on my car, but Badbiki's USB daughterboard supports Consult(through the USB cable, just have a few internal wires to hook up in the ECU), and you can tune the car as well so I decided just to wait for that... if it ever comes out that is. Hopefully my old Pentium 233Mhz laptop is up for the task of tuning a car... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vitaminT
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah I have been reading up on the wiring. Sounds like 5 wires. Mighty wire up the cel while I am there. I am just wondering if I can hook up some of those wires I didn't connect on the interior harness when doing the swap. I did all the ones heavy throttle said and my cluster works fine.

S14Redtop
07-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I did some research and hooked up my consult port directly to the ECU. I'm at work so I dont' have the exact wires here with me right now, but when I go home I'll take a look and do a quick write up. It takes about 20 minutes to hook it up and it's only cuz I soldered everything.

On the consult...it's awesome. It actually helped me diagnose a few issues with my car. Totally worth it.

m

vitaminT
07-12-2005, 10:39 PM
From what I can tell the power and ground wires are ok because they just go to the fusebox and chassis.

green w/white stripe....clock signal
green w/ black stripe....Rx data (receive)
green....Tx data (transmit)

What I am looking for now is to see if I can hook these up on the little plug the comes off the harness by the ecu. The one the runs the tach/speedo/water temp, ect. I would rather just do that and not have to run wires external to the harness.

orion
07-13-2005, 06:36 AM
FWIW, a buddy of mine uses this in his Z32...and we did some logging on my S14 with it.

It has some cool test features, like 0-60 timing, stuff like that.

We were cruising along, and he could kill the fuel pump with the click of a button, reset CEL's, etc...it's nice software.

He exported the logged data and we plotted it in Excel, to see what ignition timing I was getting under load, WOT 2-3-4 pulls.

I like it...real time monitoring, Consult features, and datalogging for $120 ain't bad...!

- Brian

Fred_Allen_Burge
07-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Does anyone know if it will monitor the crank or cam sensors?

allen

Gonad
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Here's a list of features:

----------
Currently available functions:
1. ECU Part Number

2. Data Display
- Resizable window
- Analogue and digital gauges
- Peak value display

Parameters depending on ECU:
- RPM
- Air Flow
- Air Flow Right Hand
- Water Temperature (C or F)
- O2 Sensor
- O2 Sensor Right Hand
- Speed (KPH or MPH) with tyre size correction
- Battery Voltage
- Throttle Position Sensor
- Fuel Temperature (C or F)
- Intake Air Temperature (C or F)
- Exhaust Gas Temperature
- Injector Time
- Ignition Timing
- AAC Valve
- Air Fuel Base
- Air Fuel Base Right Hand
- Air Fuel Base Self Learn
- Air Fuel Base Self Learn Right Hand
- Injector Time Right Hand
- Duty Cycle
- Duty Cycle RH
- O2 Sensor B1
- O2 Sensor B2

Registers:
- Closed TPS
- Power Steering
- Air Conditioning Switch
- Start Signal
- Neutral
- Air Conditioning Relay
- Fuel Pump
- Thermo Fan
- VCT
- Waste Gate Solenoid
- Air/Fuel ration (lean/rich)
- EGR Solenoid

3. Data Logging
Parameters and registers as per Data Display

4. Active Test
- Engine Temperature
- Timing
- AAC Valve
- IACV Valve
- Air/Fuel Base
- VCT
- Fuel Pump
- Cylinder Off
- Base Idle Adjustment
- clear Self Learn

5. Self Diagnostics
- Read Fault Codes
- Reset Fault Codes

6. Speed Trial
Measured times (kph or mph):
- 0-60
- 0-100
- 40-120
- 0-xx

7. Rom Data
- Slow Data Download (1 byte at the time)
- Fast Data Download (8 bytes at the time)

8. Address Watch
- Any address in CPU memory

9. Active register test
- Discovers parameters supported by the ECU

10. Map trace
- A real time trace of a position on the map. This function is only available for z32 300zx cars at the moment. If the real time TP value address is known the function can be set up to work on any Consult I Nissan car.

90s13drifter
07-13-2005, 01:50 PM
I've got it and it works great. I soldered it directly to my ecu too so i just have a cat5 jack on my ecu case I plug into. These guys http://www.blazt.biz/ make a datalog viewer that is way better than excel, they also sell the consult connectors so you can wire it into your stock ecu harness. All the wiring charts can be found on www.zcontrol.net (http://www.zcontrol.net) or www.forums.ztechz.net (http://www.forums.ztechz.net)

rush0
07-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I have it and it works great, Can anyone (Preferably someone getting good gas milage) post a few logs of them running and such, im not too sure on reading some of the a/f #'s thanks.

Gonad
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I am going to attempt to write my own Windows front end for this tool just for kicks and so I can add my own datalogging features.

Damn it I can't wait for the thing to arrive

90s13drifter
07-13-2005, 07:12 PM
If you can make some defi style gauges, that would be awesome.

janders211
07-13-2005, 08:52 PM
I ran a similar system on my Z, and still have the software for it.
It had neat stuff like cylinder power balance tests, solenoid tests and if you got creative you could calculate things such as clutch slip, by comparing RPM to the speed sensor.

I myself am waiting for the bikirom setup

Gonad
07-13-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to make any fancy gauges.

Just something I find readable. Datalogging with features to help you find problems would be something I wanna look into more.

trsilvias13
07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
so this is the only place to order it at? things look good... like dsm people have it and my friends bring him palm pilot all the time

Gonad
07-14-2005, 05:35 AM
Yea it's a custom built unit. Not something commercially available.

But yea, the seller is definitely quick to reply.

He lives in AU and I live in Canada and I e-mailed him the night before. Next morning I get e-mail saying he has it in stock. A few min later I send him payment. A few min later he sends me email with the software saying he got the $.

Can't wait

rush0
07-14-2005, 09:06 AM
KA logs anyone?

Gonad
07-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Sure, if it's a KA24DE (not KA-T)

sorce
07-15-2005, 10:29 AM
I wonder if you can use this to datalog the timing values for a chipped ECU to get an idea on how to set the timing values for a standalone.

orion
07-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Yes...it logs by the second timing values and exactly at what RPM, speed, load (MAF voltage), etc...

Very useful for what you're describing.

Here's a pic of the data in excel..this is me rolling into the gas at ~25mph, 2nd gear (KA-T, JWT ECU):

Timing is in RED, RPM in PURPLE, MAF voltage is column C, Speed in column F, TPS voltage is H

Consult LOG Screenshot (http://ka24development.com/file_images/temp/timing-log-screenshot.jpg)

- Brian

thedman
07-15-2005, 10:17 PM
If your modded ECU supports Consult diagnostics, then it should work. I'm using the BlaZT Consult interface cable and DataScan software on my S15 Autech NA SR20DE. Here's a chart I created after copying the data into Excel: http://tinyurl.com/85spq
I've since bought the data logging display software which is really nice.
-Ted

rush0
07-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks Orion, now I know something is definately wrong with mine, it has to either be my k/s or MAF

http://www.rush0.com/images/run.xls

check out my crazy timing on a DE

orion
07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Was that just a 1st + 2nd gear log...light acceleration?

Looks like the throttle hit 1.2v as a max, that's NOT very much input...unless you were at WOT and the TPS is bad?

If it was just cruising or light accel, then the timing values look OK when you're on the gas...weird when you let off, though.

- Brian

Gonad
07-19-2005, 11:11 AM
His RPMs were too low to register a higher TPS. Looked normal to me.

He should do a few WOTs in idle and then check the TPS.

DeatschWerks_Dave
07-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I have the PLMS unit and use it quite a bit for datalogging to help set up my ROM tunes. I've also found it useful to check injector duty cycles and MAF voltage for stockish SR's that are pushing the limits.

Hardwiring it straight to the ECU is the only way I have been able to get it to work on SR swapped s13's.

orion
07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
His RPMs were too low to register a higher TPS.

Clarify: Is the "TPS" column listed in his log not "throttle position sensor" voltage?

He could be at WOT and reading +4v anywhere in the RPM range...?

- Brian

Gonad
07-19-2005, 10:40 PM
My bad.

RPM and TPS are in no way related.

I'm not sure, he should try doing WOT and see what his TPS reads.