PDA

View Full Version : Car died while crusing??

FLSRcoupe
07-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi, this is my first post and I was hoping it would be about my newly finished swap, but I have a problem. The car has been running great for about 500 miles at stock boost. I just recently turned up the boost to about 11psi and it ran great, no problems. While I was crusing tonight the car just died with no warning. I pulled over, checked all the fuses and such, got in and it started right up. I get about a half mile down the road and it dies again, this time, it doesnt start. I cant hear the fuel pump so I am thinking it died, which is wierd becasue its a brand new Walbro. I have heard a few things about stock wiring killing walbro pumps but I dont know what the deal is. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much, Drew
89 coupe s13 black top
FMIC
Bltz bov
3" exhaust
Intake
Hallman MBC
Walbro pump

Nikeboy355
07-14-2005, 12:15 AM
is your battery and charging system good?
why do you think it is your fuel pump wiring?
how does the car die out?... does all the electrical turn off at once or does the car stutter to a stop?

HybridS14
07-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Hey you can run a length of wire straight from your battery to the power side of your fuel pump (white wire with purple stripe) to see if the car runs, just to check if its the pump. If that works then look up enthalpys post about wireing a relay to the pump and DO IT! Good luck man I hope its not electrical gremlins like with my S-14....... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/cool.gif

sorce
07-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Check MAF and MAF wiring. I had a 300zx MAF that would die while cruising. Take awhile before the car would start, but the car would run fine afterawhile. Replaced MAF with another 300zx MAF and the car's been fine ever since.

FLSRcoupe
07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I dont think it the electrical system because the engine acts like gas is not getting to it. The lights stay on and nothing flickers or dims. I did put an optima battery in the trunk, do you think that may be the cause? It does'nt stutter or anything, its like your crusing and somone turns the key to the accessory position and the throttle has no imput. Thanks for the ideas guys, I will pull the pump today and see if it works if I put power to it. It started a couple of times for a few seconds but I think that was due to the pressure in the tank, the gas was able to make it to the injectors but with no pressure.

Nikeboy355
07-15-2005, 04:13 PM
What type of connectors and gauge wiring did you use on your battery relocation?... Where is the battery grounded?... Your problem may be right there...

FLSRcoupe
07-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all your guys help. I tested all the voltage at all the different points and narrowed it downn to a falty connector on the pump. While I have everything out I might as well do the hardwire thing. Thanks again, Drew