PDA

View Full Version : flex plate between engine and tranny, is it needed

turboka24
07-16-2005, 01:30 AM
i just put in my new engine, took me forever to get the input shaft into the clutch then i realized i didnt put the plate on. i really dont want to take it apart again...

vitaminT
07-16-2005, 11:45 AM
If you are talking about the thin sheet metal piece that goes behind the flywheel I think it is mainly used for a dust/dirt shield for the bottom part of the tranny. I recently did the same thing on a CA and took the time to undo/redo everything since I saw the backside of the flywheel was going to be exposed.

turboka24
07-16-2005, 01:19 PM
yea goes in between engine and flywheel and its the same size as the bell housing, all the tranny bolts go through it.

turboka24
07-16-2005, 02:36 PM
ok my main concern is will the clutch will dissengage all the way being about an 1/8th closer now.

Kenji_M
07-16-2005, 02:43 PM
I think you should also worry about the amount of dirt, grease and oil residue that will get in there from driving it around if you don't put that plate back in. Then if it gets all over your friction disc your clutch will start to slip and then you'll have to buy a new clutch, drop the tranny and so on..

turboka24
07-16-2005, 02:51 PM
dirt from the back of the engine? it will still be sealed from the outside..

vitaminT
07-16-2005, 04:30 PM
No the back of the engine doesn't produce dirt does it? The stuff kicked up on the road. At least on the ca there was a sizable hole 3+" that dirt coule pile up in the bottom of the bell housing.

Just take the time to do it RIGHT. In the time it has taken to post this thread and for everyone to reply it would be done by now. And yes I know how big of a ***** the tranny is to get on sometimes.

Kookz
07-16-2005, 06:55 PM
I've been without one for 2 months, and driven through some very heavy rains (flooded roads, 3" of standing water). Haven't had a problem, but wish that I had one on there. I didn't have one and had to get the car running.

RDM_II
07-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Fool, I have like five of them, you could have asked.

Kookz
07-16-2005, 07:53 PM
It's aight. When I drop the tranny to go to a pucked disc I'll throw one in. The car won't see inclement weather after this summer (I left my daily driver in Pittsburgh).

turboka24
07-18-2005, 02:26 AM
so tonight i cut the piece in half so i didnt have to take off the clutch and flywheel. i still had to take the engine out to put the plate in and took me over and hour to get the tranny back into the clutch. ah well at least its done right.