PDA

View Full Version : need KA reassembly help

tryiian
07-17-2005, 07:10 PM
First post, can`t find a KA section so i`m assumin this is where this goes.
anyhow, i`m just a kid who would love be able to drive his car around, who wound up having a headgasket blow on him. Taking everything apart was easy, maybe iMade it a little too easy, but anyway the questions iHave right this second are

#1: I have three sets of cams, one s13, one s14, and one 248/248. problem is iForgot to make notes on which is which when iTook them to the machine shop to be cleaned up. They all have numbers on them, 1-5 and an extra 2. my guess is 1 and 2 are s13 int and exh in that order, s14 3-4, but 5 and 2 wouldn`t make any sense based on this logic. what i`d like to run is 248/232 based on a search of this forum. anyway, heres a pic, somebody help me out here: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/tryiian/engine/54efe88a.jpg

#2: I have a whole gasket set and no idea where most of it goes... except intake and exhaust mani gaskets, which are pretty obvious. There`s a lot of funny shaped gaskets, some condom looking things, and a bag of "valve stem seals" which iAssume are already on the head since it was just rebuilt. Also, the little injector rubber washers... where can iGet those from, nissan?
pic: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/tryiian/engine/IMG_0775.jpg

see these pictures and many more at http://photobucket.com/albums/a97/tryiian just click on the blue "body" and "engine" links.

RDM_II
07-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Cams differ per chassis, green/orange is opposed per model. Best way to decide which is which is to put it in the head and look at timing marks vs. cam placement. I believe it's green=intake, orange=exhaust for S13, but verify before installation. We've discussed cams enough here to have it archived somewhere.

The injector insulators are OE only, about $6 each.

tryiian
07-17-2005, 07:40 PM
thanks, so then the 1 is s13 exh and 2 s13 int?
i`ve been searching, but I haven`t seen anything more than "i heard that the green means this but they switched it between the 13 and 14 so iDunno for sure" etc.

so how bout them gasket set pieces? should iBe able to figure out where they go by trying to put the car back together and just crossing my fingers that iPut everything back right? the fsm isn`t exactly a wordy, specific, document, i`ve learned. "Set TDC, install headgasket, tighten down bolts" how? how? which ones?!

I have figured out how to set tdc and do most of the headgasket install though. Just a few things i`m not so sure about.

Kenji_M
07-17-2005, 08:26 PM
The way to tell which one is intake is to take a look at the alignment pin. When the pin is at the 12 o'clock position the first lobe on the cam should be pointing straight up at the 12 o'clock position as well. The intake cams that are painted green are from the s13. The intake cams from the s14 are painted orange. I went through this in my garage yesterday afternoon when I swapped a 248 cam into the intake side of my s14 to run the 248/232 combination.

I wouldn't put much faith into the numbers stamped into the cam. My s13 cams were stamped 4 and 5, and my s14 cams were stamped 3 and 4. I don't think they have anything to do with what chassis they went into...probably more of a batch number/day or shift the cam was made...for quality control purposes at the factory I would imagaine...but that's just my speculation.

tryiian
07-17-2005, 11:09 PM
sounds good. so you`re sure about the pin and lobe method and your color info? if so, i`m sorted here, ... for now, at least. so thanks either way, i`m gonna go an use that int pin/lobe method now.

StealthmodeS14
07-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Here ya go.....I pulled the pic up on MS Paint and labeled the gaskets I could......there were two I couldn't remember/figure out. The wording is small so I would reccomend you save it and view it to where you can enlarge it......let me know if you have anymore questions.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2054000-2054999/2054885_9_full.jpg

-Bill

asad
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
The wording is small so I would reccomend you save it and view it to where you can enlarge it.

Bill -- It's going to be completely illegible even when it's enlarged. When you shrink the image, you throw away information that can't be recovered when you enlarge it again.

Asad
P.S. tryiian, get that pic out of your sig...

StealthmodeS14
07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Crap....I knew I should have waited until I got home. Thanks for the heads up Asad.

Anyways let's try this.....

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/2054000-2054999/2054885_9_full.jpg

1. The bag at the far left: Injector o-rings

2. Square gasket to the right and up a tad from the o-rings: throttlebody

3. gasket below throttlebody (as well as the one over to the right more...same gasket): AICV at the back of the intake manifold

4. The ones in the other bag: exhaust manifold gaskets

5. The gaskets to the right of that (two,long ones on top of each other): intake manifold gaskets. Gray colored one is the one for where the top portion meets the head. Orange/tan colored one is the one that goes between the two halves of the intake manifold

6. The one to the lower left of those two (with the big round hole in it): thermostat housing

7. The one closest to the bottom...with the three holes extending out from it: EGR gasket which is also found at the back of the intake manifold

8. The black spacers at the top: for the injectors

The other...maybe someone else can chime in with those ones. I'm clueless as I haven't seen them yet.

-Bill

tryiian
07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
great info, Bill, thanks for that, and you get lots of effort points, too.
anyway, iDon`t think i`m gonna be needing most of the gaskets, or the injector things, except the bushings that go between the actual injectors/fuel rail and the intake mani, but the intake and exhaust mani gaskets are all on now, along with those manifolds, i`m waiting on some headbolt washers from Nissan to get here by Wednesday (3.50 per washer!) and it should be back together that night or so.

By the way, the pin/lobe angle method has identified three of my cams as intake and three as exhaust (which contradicts the assumption that one set was 248s) but even so, I`m still not sure which exhaust cam is a 232 and which is a 248... only one or two of the cams has paint.

update: I think i`ve figured which are s13 and which are s14, i`m just not sure on what the ones without paint are, at least I`m pretty sure on which ones to use now. see here: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/tryiian/engine/IMG_0787.jpg