PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Carbon On spark plugs

WrecklessS14
08-04-2005, 01:54 AM
I've change the stock fuel injectors to 555cc and upgraded the ECU. Motor doesn't flood anymore. But can't seem to start. I haven't got the motor start after the swap.Pulled out the spark plugs, all filled with carbon, What should I check?

TS4l
08-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Try checking for spark, get someone to turn the car over for you and put the plugs in the coil pack or spark plug wire and then hold it done to the valve cover, and make sure they all have spark. If you have spark you need to verify you have fuel. If the plugs are black but the car won't start, they should be wet if its getting fuel. Engines need three things to run. Fuel, Spark, compression. Figure out which one your missing.

WrecklessS14
08-04-2005, 12:11 PM
It sounds like its going to start but doesn't hold it. I have fuel, I have spark, I have compression. Probably not the right air fuel mixture? I just bought an adjustable FPR, will that help? or would I have to get Air/Fuel computer?

cwdmark
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
is it cranking?

TS4l
08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm guessing if the car won't start you obviously haven't timed it, so I'd try and re-stab the CAS. Must be timing because if your getting fuel and spark it should fire up, it might die if its not the right a/f ratio but unless its somehow dumping a ton of fuel it should atlest start up for a second. Was it at TDC on the compression stroke(#1 cam lobes facing out) when you stabbed the CAS?

WrecklessS14
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Ive timed it. Dots matching silver links, 2nd notch from left of crank. 2nd dot on cas. It pops and back fires, runs for a second. than just dies.

TS4l
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I'd try adjusting the CAS and try starting it and see what happens. Even when the dots line up timing can still be off some! My car fired right up but was retarded 10 degrees. How about the wiring to the coil packs. Are you sure they are in the right order, dumb question but I had to ask. Are you positive the cam timing is correct? Its been a long day at work but i'll keep trying to think of things to check. Are your charge pipe all hooked up?

WrecklessS14
08-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I'll pick up a timing gun this weekend, all piping is on, and coilpack are in right order. I'll also try to get a hold of coilpacks too. Thanks for the help, I'll keep it updated.

TS4l
08-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Only thing is, its going to be hard to use a timing light if you can't get the car started. I'd say try and restab the CAS, see what that does. Make sure the cam lobes are facing out and the engine is at TDC.

SR_S14Zenki
08-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Ive timed it. Dots matching silver links, 2nd notch from left of crank. 2nd dot on cas. It pops and back fires, runs for a second. than just dies.

isnt it supposed to be the 2nd from the right not left? on an SR anyway...

WrecklessS14
08-08-2005, 01:25 AM
I'll try 2nd from the right tomorrow. But I did find something weird. My key is left to "on" position. and when I move the cas, and touches the radiator pipe, that's when I hear the fuel injectors go on. Im thinking I guess my wirings is bad? or I missed a ground some where.

_Def_
08-08-2005, 01:44 AM
You get the two grounds on the firewall behind the engine, as well as the battery ground to the intake manifold?

That's weird that your injectors fire when you "touch the radiator pipe with the CAS." Definitely sounds like a ground/wiring problem.