PDA

View Full Version : gl-4 rated manual tranny fluid??

Vr6wantSr20det
08-05-2005, 10:03 AM
i know redline mt-90 is gl-4 rated for the SR tranny's, but i have a slow leak. And have to keep refilling the tranny. Wut other tranny fluids are cheaper and gl-4 rated. I hate having to spend 10 bucks a quart every 2 weeks...The tranny still shifts fine but it's makes sounds in neutral, goes away when pressing the clutch in. I will replace it in a few months assuming it lasts that long. But for now i need to keep fillin the badboy up. Thanks for any help/info.

_Def_
08-05-2005, 10:42 AM
My local Autozone had some mad cheap off-brand GL4 lube(think it was from a company called Coastal). Go for some 75W-90 I believe(check the FSM to be sure), and make sure it's GL-4 and you're good to go. It's not all that uncommon of a lube, so most autoparts stores should have something cheap to get you by.

cwdmark
08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
sounds a little like my tranny, i wonder what that noise is. i think its the carrier for the throwout bearing. just run coastal in it until you find another tranny.

Vr6wantSr20det
08-05-2005, 12:53 PM
at first i thought the sound was the pilot bushing, since i didnt replace it when doing the clutch, but after replacing it the noise still persists...It goes away totaly when pressing the clutch in. but thanks i will look for the coastal stuff. Redline is great, i will definately be using again on my new, non-leaking tranny. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ichiyonsilvia
09-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Sorry to bring old thread back, my tranny having same problem since last month.
Last weekend I replaced Pilot bushing, TOB, Nismo Pivot ball but that noise did not go away so I assumed my tranny is bad and I'm thinking to replace with my KA tranny.
Have you guys fixed the problem or just replaced with another tranny? Please post. Thanks

For the tranny fluid I use Royal Purple Syncromax.
I used to use Redline Light weight shockproof but by far RP Syncromax much better overall.
My tranny really hard to get into reverse when is cold with redline but with RP no problem getting into reverse anytime and shift like on the butter(Sooo...smooth).
I would recommends to everyone.
Steven